SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#504381 - 11/28/21 04:51 PM replacement for psr3000 ??
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Hello!

After working for local government for 30 years I retired last month. I'm still loving my Genos after 3 years and it doesn't look like it will be replaced anytime soon. I have some retirement cash burning a hole in my pocket.

My Dad still has and plays my old PSR3000. I'm looking at a PSR SX9000 or SX7000. My Dad plays his PSR3000 as a simple arranger always. Single finger chords and single finger right hand sometime using the harmonize function. He usually uses the onboard speakers but sometimes uses headphones when my Mom tells him too!! Sound quality is probably the main feature he wants to improve.

What suggestions can you make?

-charley

PS I'm also looking into a Casio Privia for my Mom. I let her borrow a PX3 I had several years ago and she loved it!

#504382 - 11/28/21 08:56 PM Re: replacement for psr3000 ?? [Re: rattley]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Charlie, go for the S-950 or
s970 - nothing new to learn and lots of great features.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#504384 - 11/29/21 08:00 AM Re: replacement for psr3000 ?? [Re: rattley]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
A nice used SX800 if within the budget might be the way to go. For starters, you are future proofed for quite a while. But the clincher might be the combination of the big touch screen and the Chord Sequencer, which makes a nice bonus for the one finger chord player… play the head once, hit play, then enjoy soloing over the changes without worrying about the left hand…

#504389 - 11/29/21 10:34 PM Re: replacement for psr3000 ?? [Re: rattley]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
You guys managed to mention a lot of non-existant models, like SX9000 or SX800 :-)

As I own PSR-3000, PSR-S950 and PSR-SX900, I guess, I should share my two cents, although it can be misleading. After 5+ years of intensive usage my PSR-S950 developed a problem with ribbon buttons - some of them became almost unresponsive, and cleaning contacts didn't really help. I'm yet to see if SX900 is going to be better in this way. And you know I complain about noisy keyboard on SX900 - got noisy really quick, although if I play with styles or using headphones it doesn't seem like a big deal. Still, it seems that with each new keyboard Yamaha cares less and less about quality, which we can also see with other products, like LEGO, for example.

Nevertheless, each new model of PSR does offer refreshing sound, I'm not sure if anything sounds better than SX900 within this price range.

I also feel that because of a limited competition in this field (which is called "oligopoly"), in a way we are just forced to buy what Yamaha wants us to buy, but I tend to bring up something about such a conspiracy when we talk about these products.

#504391 - 11/30/21 08:02 AM Re: replacement for psr3000 ?? [Re: Kabinopus]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Originally Posted By Kabinopus
You guys managed to mention a lot of non-existant models, like SX9000 or SX800 :-)

As I own PSR-3000, PSR-S950 and PSR-SX900, I guess, I should share my two cents, although it can be misleading. After 5+ years of intensive usage my PSR-S950 developed a problem with ribbon buttons - some of them became almost unresponsive, and cleaning contacts didn't really help. I'm yet to see if SX900 is going to be better in this way. And you know I complain about noisy keyboard on SX900 - got noisy really quick, although if I play with styles or using headphones it doesn't seem like a big deal. Still, it seems that with each new keyboard Yamaha cares less and less about quality, which we can also see with other products, like LEGO, for example.

Nevertheless, each new model of PSR does offer refreshing sound, I'm not sure if anything sounds better than SX900 within this price range.

I also feel that because of a limited competition in this field (which is called "oligopoly"), in a way we are just forced to buy what Yamaha wants us to buy, but I tend to bring up something about such a conspiracy when we talk about these products.

The "SX800" and "SX9000" comments were probably typos. I'm sure they meant SX900

Anyhow, on the build quality of Yamaha keyboards, I had a PSR-3000 for 10 years, and although I had the mother board replaced on year 8, that MOTL arranger was quite a workhorse. The PSR-900 does have some overly noisy keys on some keyboards, and Yamaha (USA) willingly added grease to those with that problem. Mine was done, no charge, and works great a year later. To be honest, I didn't really notice the noise until it was pointed out by someone on YouTube. Since Yamaha offered to take a look at mine, I thought why not? I actually believe most keyboards have some type of "key noise" and it's unnoticed while playing, unless you have the volume at 1 or 2

So IMO, an SX900 would be a major upgrade, with a little learning curve. but worth learning. Or take Gary's suggestion, and go with a used S970. Personally, I'd go with the PSR-SX900, or a Genos, if you have lots of retirement money smile Good Luck

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#504394 - 11/30/21 09:49 AM Re: replacement for psr3000 ?? [Re: rattley]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yep… typo. I think the SX900 is the most significant leap forward of Yamaha’s mid-line in over a decade of largely incremental improvement. Just the increase in insert effects alone is worth consideration, but in many ways, it’s really a baby Genos.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online