SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#485432 - 12/31/19 06:16 AM setting up a genos or sx900 playlist versions
Dnj Offline

I wanted to start w a whole new thread on how players use the new playlist and how they set it up vs the previous MFD , KORG songbook,
or the way I do it with 1 REG button per song within a bank of 8 or 10 song buttons and 4 OTS sounds...

Originally Posted By Stephenm52
Originally Posted By Dnj
The Playlist is a big PITA for loading single songs... Hope they update it soon..
Korg songbook is so much better...

Donny, I’m not sitting at your side but not sure why you seem to be having a tough time with Playlist, from my experience it’s on par with Songbook just a little different way of skinning the cat. I use 1 song per registration bank then add and/or order to a playlist.

Steve....

I might become a fan if you can tell me STEP BY STEP
HOW TO TAKE 20 REGISTRATIONS BANKS OF SONGS 8 SONGS PER REG BANK
FOR A TOTAL OF 160 SONGS.......
THEN SEPARATE ALL THOSE SONGS FROM THE REGISTRATIONS IN THE PLAYLIST AND PUT THEM INTO ONE PLAYLIST SINGULARLY IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER
SO YOU CAN SCROLL THRU THEM SINGULARLY JUST LIKE SONGBOOK ON KORG..
REMEMBER STEVE STEP BY STEP ...
THANX

Top Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify Email Post
#485408 - December 30, 2019 07:05 PM Re: LEE how do you like the SX900 so far? [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

The Playlist is a big PITA for loading single songs...
Hope they update it soon..
Korg songbook is so much better...

Donny, I’m not sitting at your side but not sure why you seem to be having a tough time with Playlist, from my experience it’s on par with Songbook just a little different way of skinning the cat. I use 1 song per registration bank then add and/or order to a playlist.

Steve....

I might become a fan if you can tell me STEP BY STEP
HOW TO TAKE 20 REGISTRATIONS BANKS OF SONGS 8 SONGS PER REG BANK
FOR A TOTAL OF 160 SONGS.......
THEN SEPARATE ALL THOSE SONGS FROM THE REGISTRATIONS IN THE PLAYLIST AND PUT THEM INTO ONE PLAYLIST SINGULARLY IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER
SO YOU CAN SCROLL THRU THEM SINGULARLY JUST LIKE SONGBOOK ON KORG..
REMEMBER STEVE STEP BY STEP ...
THANX

Ah I see what you’re saying, You CANNOT use 8 songs per bank and split them in a playlist. It works with 1 song per bank but in that bank you can add any variation, voice, multipads, pedal assignments. Why wouldn’t you just assign 1 song per bank?

Edited by Dnj (01/02/20 04:46 AM)

#485433 - 12/31/19 06:18 AM Re: SETTING UP A GENOS OR SX900 PLAYLIST VERSIONS [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I don't think anyone understands what I am trying to say above?
and that said I guess it cannot be done as I mentioned just like with the KORG songlist?

I am willing to experiment using it on a trial basis
using this multi REG method with much caution.....

Originally Posted By DonM
That's what I've been trying to tell you! One song per bank.

I don't think anyone understands what I am trying to say above?
and that said I guess it cannot be done as I mentioned just like with the KORG songlist?

too bad the play list another feature I will never use..

That would mean I would have to take hundreds of songs that I already have setup 1 reg per song 4 ots......and start from scratch and use a bank for each song button 1 for the initial song and 3 or 4 more reg button setups just for sounds using the same Reg setup?????

this is nuts confused2
as I would have at the end over 500 reg banks
and have to Name EACH REG bank with the title of the song?
and instead of using OTS I have to now assign my sounds into other reg buttons too?...and then you have to remember what sounds are on which buttons? vs just 4 OTS sounds?... that it will work with the playlist?
vs the 150+ I have now........
all this just to use the playlist???

Edited by Dnj (12/31/19 06:22 AM)

#485435 - 12/31/19 06:25 AM Re: SETTING UP A GENOS OR SX900 PLAYLIST VERSIONS [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Also all you multi REG button per song players ....

HOW DO YOU REMEMBER ALL THE DIFFERENT SOUNDS
YOU HAVE SET UP IN ALL THE OTHER REG BUTTONS ON EACH SONG????? confused1

#485442 - 12/31/19 06:52 AM Re: SETTING UP A GENOS OR SX900 PLAYLIST VERSIONS [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Donny, this is written with one thought; trying to help you.

Later today I will unravel your post so I can give you what I understand. The Kn7000 did not allow you to write your own four OTS instruments, you had to rewrite the style. The Korg Pa800 allowed you to change the OTS instruments. The Sx900 has taken this to a higher level. This opens the door to many options; you need to think out of the box to appreciate what they have done.

I have been working on the Regs., the Playlist is on hold. My commonsense; If I have 800 songs in my playlist, finding the song I want will be a problem; so Yamaha must have a system. The system in my Tyros III allowed e to put a code name in each song that was saved. If I wanted a set of songs that I used when playing NH, the code might be NH; enter the code name, and there’s the songs I am looking for.. This opens the door to start MY system of retrieving songs.

When I think of have 8 Regs and 4 OTS I am excited. I can go anywhere, come back, add anything, come back --- imagination is my only Problem. I have not done anything with the playlist, got to learn hoe it works first. I did see the word TAG, that might be a clue.

Enjoy your new baby, John C

PS, Again, Jerry – fantastic thinking.
When I get a new keyboard I always focus on what the keyboard can do. Not on what it can't do.
Jerryghr

#485443 - 12/31/19 06:53 AM Re: SETTING UP A GENOS OR SX900 PLAYLIST VERSIONS [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Please remember I am talking about using the NEW genos or sx900
playlist while playing in a LIVE situation not at home ...

#485447 - 12/31/19 07:14 AM Re: SETTING UP A GENOS OR SX900 PLAYLIST VERSIONS [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Why make this more complicated then it is smile

It is called a "play list", the definition tells you exactly what it is used for... confused

You make a list of songs you intend to play and the order to play them grin

It is not your "complete " library. As your "Song book" section on a Korg.

If you are doing an hour show.. the list will be 20-25 entries in the playlist. A 4 hour gig will have 60 entries in the playlists.

It will work the same in your bedroom, or out on a job shocked

Every Play list I ever used or tried... it points to a song and content from your library in memory..

#485458 - 12/31/19 08:29 AM Re: SETTING UP A GENOS OR SX900 PLAYLIST VERSIONS [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Why make this more complicated then it is smile

It is called a "play list", the definition tells you exactly what it is used for... confused

You make a list of songs you intend to play and the order to play them grin

It is not your "complete " library. As your "Song book" section on a Korg.

If you are doing an hour show.. the list will be 20-25 entries in the playlist. A 4 hour gig will have 60 entries in the playlists.

It will work the same in your bedroom, or out on a job shocked

Every Play list I ever used or tried... it points to a song and content from your library in memory..

Fran your not a Yamaha guy....lol
it is supposed to replace the MFD...
and it sure is more difficult then songbook on korg..
I am not convinced yet..
I'm a navigational player and anything that makes it easier on stage is a plus...so far this isn't...

Edited by Dnj (12/31/19 08:33 AM)

#485477 - 12/31/19 01:18 PM Re: SETTING UP A GENOS OR SX900 PLAYLIST VERSIONS [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I guess I'll focus on what's good and
what I can use on sx900 for my needs for now...

#485481 - 12/31/19 02:13 PM Re: SETTING UP A GENOS OR SX900 PLAYLIST VERSIONS [Re: Dnj]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Playlist records are direct shortcuts to registrations. You can have more than one record song setup in an 8 bank registration saved in Playlist

BUT BUT BUT....
ONCE THE REGISTRATION IS LOADED IN PLAYLIST, YOU HAVE TO LET PLAYLIST KNOW THE NAME OF THE SONG, AND THE BANK THAT CONTAINS THE SONG

DO THIS IN PLAYLIST "EDIT" Rename, bank number, then SAVE

Either that, or one song, one Registration

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#485484 - 12/31/19 02:20 PM Re: SETTING UP A GENOS OR SX900 PLAYLIST VERSIONS [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Donny, I have about 72 songs saved in 9 banks. I used the same sets, about 8 songs to a set on my Pa1000. This is how I started. If I was playing a job, and I am sure that’s over, I have my Sx900 set up to go. Some of those regs. I used for more than one song. Simple, fast, was done in very little time.

Now because I am always ready to go deeper, it is my nature, I found things that I got me excited, wow, look what I can do --- I am off and running. I see possibilities that I have not seen in other keyboards. I am not saying that Yamaha is better than Korg, or Yamaha is better than Roland. Nor am I saying that my way is THE way.

If all of this takes away your joy, or leads you into any kind of frustration, the hell with it. Use whatever makes you the happiest.

I am, working on a song, Never-The-Less, big band style. My voice s giving me a bit of a hard time, but if I can get past that I am going to post it. It demonstrates what I have written.

My good friend Bill Watkins, owner of Watkins products, Bought the first keyboard that Wersi made – He was not very technical. After three weeks he explained how he was going to drive to the nearest bridge and throw the keyboard onto the oncoming traffic.
Man, I loved that guy.

Donny have one great New Year, this guy loves you, John C.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online