SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#484040 - 12/13/19 01:16 PM One For Yamaha Tyros Owners Initial Touch
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
Do you have Initial Touch On / Off and what touch levels do you use ?

#484042 - 12/13/19 01:28 PM Re: One For Yamaha Tyros Owners Initial Touch [Re: MusicalMemories]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Tyros 3 - always on - normal.

For me this feels like the right balance between now hard I play and the effect this has on the piano sounds. I'm originally a pianist so hit the keys fairly hard at times.

Just pick the setting that works best for you!

#484056 - 12/14/19 02:14 AM Re: One For Yamaha Tyros Owners Initial Touch [Re: MusicalMemories]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
T5-76 Always on SOFT

#484060 - 12/14/19 07:45 AM Re: One For Yamaha Tyros Owners Initial Touch [Re: MusicalMemories]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By MusicalMemories
Do you have Initial Touch On / Off and what touch levels do you use ?

If you turn initial touch off you'll miss the expressiveness that many sounds can give. In my experience, even though organs didn't have touch response in the past, you can play them more creatively with a more tactile approach. The velocity settings (soft-med-hard etc) are a personal thing, and will vary with each player. Test each one out on your favorite sound. Play as softly as you can, then gradually try to increase the volume. See which setting gives you the more expressiveness.
In soft mode, very gentle touches will yield a louder sound, and sometimes a more brilliant tone, as the curve affects not only volume, but other elements of the sonic DNA. Loud settings require more force to get the maximum expression and volume for each sound.
There's no "right" setting - use the one that works best for you, but give it a try. It's built in to help get the most out of the sounds in your instrument.

#484061 - 12/14/19 08:16 AM Re: One For Yamaha Tyros Owners Initial Touch [Re: MusicalMemories]
Dnj Offline

always on - normal

I let my fingers and soul be my expression..

#484074 - 12/14/19 11:23 AM Re: One For Yamaha Tyros Owners Initial Touch [Re: MusicalMemories]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I think there is a lack of understanding about touch sensitivity .

Setting the touch response setting is important to match your playing..

A heavy handed player with too soft setting is like playing without touch sensitivity.. Everything is wide open , no velocity switching, no variation with filters, no volume change..

In this case , it would not matter, there is no touch sensitivity.. There is no expression in your fingers, only expression would be how the sound reacts to your touch.

Organ depends on an expression pedal... only..

Some folks are confusing style of your play (Syncopation , slides etc).. not the same as "touch".

Set the touch response so your play can control the benefits(Velocity switching, filters , volumes , even sound changes).

#484079 - 12/14/19 01:28 PM Re: One For Yamaha Tyros Owners Initial Touch [Re: Fran Carango]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango

There is no expression in your fingers, only expression would be how the sound reacts to your touch.

Organ depends on an expression pedal... only..

Hmmmm - first point: There can be MUCH expression from your fingers, even on a soft setting. Depends entirely on the touch. I like a little more resistance, but that isn't a universal choice.

Second point - While the expression pedal facilitates much greater control (in a more traditional way), the ability to play some notes louder, or softer than others can easily be done with touch response.

#484081 - 12/14/19 01:52 PM Re: One For Yamaha Tyros Owners Initial Touch [Re: MusicalMemories]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Only partially agree, Dave. In my opinion (as an organ player), the Expression Pedal and touch sensitivity on the keyboard are two totally different things. The expression pedal is going to affect every note that's active while a 'touch sensitive' keyboard is going to affect each note individually. That's why, in my opinion, they can't be used interchangeably. I wouldn't want to play 'organ' on ANY keyboard without an expression pedal (and touch sensitivity OFF - if that's possible). Likewise I wouldn't want to have to try to control 'expressiveness' on a piano with an expression pedal. Apples and pears.

chas

#484086 - 12/14/19 02:34 PM Re: One For Yamaha Tyros Owners Initial Touch [Re: MusicalMemories]
Uncle Dave Offline

Understood, Chas - Just more options. Not a replacement for the conventional setup. In my world, I rarely have the luxury of another pedal on the floor, so having a volume control for certain organ passages is a plus.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online