SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#483434 - 12/09/19 09:33 PM Mic volume attenuator
Beakybird Offline

I haven't started gigging with the SX900 yet. I'm waiting for the second one I ordered to arrive, and it's backordered until after Xmas.

One thing I don't like on the SX900 is no mixer on the home screen, and the mic doesn't appear on the first screen when you hit the MIXER/EQ button. On the S970, it's much more tactile and easy with the grey up and down buttons under the Mic level that's on the home screen.

Of course, I can use the Live Control knobs, but there are only two of them, and I want to use them for other things.

So I thought maybe a physical passive attenuator might work, but I don't know much about this.

I thought that maybe I could velcro something like this onto the keyboard where it's most out of the way: https://reverb.com/item/8465-carl-s-cust...lume-attenuator

Would that work or would there be signal loss? Oh, important: I use a corded phantom powered headset mic - the Crown CM311A.

Edited by Beakybird (12/09/19 09:47 PM)

#483440 - 12/10/19 12:38 AM Re: Mic volume attenuator [Re: Beakybird]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have this one that works fine.
https://smile.amazon.com/Rapco-Horizon-CVPBLOX-Control-Mute/dp/B003ML6N3C/ref=sr_1_6?crid=KIUEP8HKZSS3&keywords=mic+volume+control&qid=1575966989&sprefix=mic+volume%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-6

#483452 - 12/10/19 04:17 AM Re: Mic volume attenuator [Re: Beakybird]
Dnj Offline

What else do you use the LIVE Knobs for?

#483455 - 12/10/19 05:14 AM Re: Mic volume attenuator [Re: Beakybird]
Dnj Offline

I never sing thru the keyboard.....try using a small external mixer with effects for much easier control over vocals, reverb fx/delay,
and overall KB sound. The Alan & Heath DFX6 works great for this..

https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zed-6fx/

#483464 - 12/10/19 05:57 AM Re: Mic volume attenuator [Re: Beakybird]
Beakybird Offline

I guess I'll try the Rapco device.
I use the Live Control knobs primarily to adjust mic reverb and vocal harmony levels. I'll try experimenting with other settings using the assign button or registrations to call up different assignments.
My approach to the senior shows I do is to keep things simple to minimize setup and takedown, and so I can give maximum attention to the audience. I think the PSRs have great mixers whose mic settings can be tailored for each song via registration memory. For me, that's the way to go. But I much prefer physical knobs to sub menus on a touchscreen, so I'll be excited to try the Rapco gizmo

#483470 - 12/10/19 06:18 AM Re: Mic volume attenuator [Re: Beakybird]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Beakybird
I use the Live Control knobs primarily to adjust mic reverb and vocal harmony levels. I'll try experimenting with other settings using the assign button or registrations to call up different assignments.
My approach to the senior shows I do is to keep things simple to minimize setup and takedown, and so I can give maximum attention to the audience. I think the PSRs have great mixers whose mic settings can be tailored for each song via registration memory. For me, that's the way to go. But I much prefer physical knobs to sub menus on a touchscreen, so I'll be excited to try the Rapco gizmo

Have you tried the assignable buttons also?

#483473 - 12/10/19 06:36 AM Re: Mic volume attenuator [Re: Dnj]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Beakybird

Have you tried the assignable buttons also?

Thanks, DNJ for your query. I wish there was a button shortcut just for Mic volume, but the best you can do is call up the mic setting page and from there you have to touch the Mic level and adjust, and then you have to exit out of the screen.
So you can get at the mic volume pretty fast, but it's a little distracting compared to having the up/down buttons on the home screen like the S970 or a physical volume knob like on the Rapco device.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online