SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#483373 - 12/09/19 03:07 PM Sound comparisons. YouTube a waste?
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
This may be useless for many...but for those of you willing, hear me out.

This video compares piano sounds on two of the best stage pianos, Nord and my RD 2000.

https://youtu.be/t589eLU04V8

Here’s the thing, my speakers on my new Samsung TV don’t come close to replicating the sound I hear on my RD2000 playing live....probably the Nord either....and I’m using a headset as well.

Thing is, from what I’ve learned owning/playing my Genos/RD 2000, piano wise my Genos can’t come close to the piano sounds of my RD2000.

I guess the point is, if there is one, is that in listening to videos, we are going to hear what sounds right to us.

My brother, concert pianist, will never hear the right piano sound unless it is acoustic piano.

Edited by guitpic1 (12/09/19 03:10 PM)

#483420 - 12/09/19 07:07 PM Re: Sound comparisons. YouTube a waste? [Re: guitpic1]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Great point. When I was teaching HS Music, I started my music appreciation classes by telling my students that if they had never heard an orchestra play live - they have NO IDEA what an oboe, or violin, or trumpet etc. sounds like.(well, "some" idea, maybe, but you get my point) I was a pretty good clarinet player in HS - even got a scholarship to Temple as a Music Major, but I never learned more than the night I spent in New Orleans at Pete Fountain's club; listening to him fill that room with a sound I have still not achieved. The way tone rides the air through a room, coupled with the actual resonance of the instrument is something that speakers, and models just can't replicate. That's why some instruments are so much harder than others to sample. The actual sampled tone may be incredible, but without the added resonance, and room acoustics - it's a whole different ball game. Yamaha, is getting pretty good at adding the the SA technology, and Korg has the DNC sounds, but even the real drums in the Ketron are missing that "in the room" element.

This is not a dig at technology - rather, it's a tip of my cap to the manufacturers for getting closer everyday. There is absolutely NOTHING like sitting in a beautiful auditorium, listening to a world class orchestra play live. I'm very fortunate to live in Philadelphia where we have the best of both. If you're ever out this way - go see the Philly Orch ate the Kimmel Center ... and prepare to change your perception of what you thought you knew.

Damn. Now, I want to go see a chamber ensemble!!!! violin

#483428 - 12/09/19 08:33 PM Re: Sound comparisons. YouTube a waste? [Re: guitpic1]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi U.D.:

You "lecture" with authority and compassion... because here in West Mayberry, all we have is a Marching Band (much talent, I might add)... and a Kazoo Ensemble for Saturday Nights on the Square. LOL!

Yep, you are one lucky man... and we are richer and better informed because of your talent... and recognition of things requiring talent.

Ft. Worth and the Cliburne Competition are not too far away. Maybe I'll add that to my bucket list. A return to Nashville is out of the question.

Merry Christmas, ----West Mayberry Dave

#483430 - 12/09/19 09:02 PM Re: Sound comparisons. YouTube a waste? [Re: guitpic1]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Dave, you always humble me, and bring me back down to earth! As for marching bands ..... THEY ROCK! The absolute best time I EVER had in my life was in the band in HS. Met my first wife (a twirler), crashed my first 2 busses together (story for another time), and lit the fire that sparked my career!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online