SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#444585 - 01/12/18 11:48 AM One More Reason I Love my S970
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
I would definitely love to have a Genos, but for now I am pretty much a 61-note keyboard player. But one of the exciting results of new arranger model releases has to be the anticipation that some of the new board's styles can be ported down to be used on the earlier model arrangers. As we all know, this is not always the case and the resulting converted styles can end up sounding nothing like they did on the original host keyboard. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this video. The individual who put it together first downloaded the A Capella vocal of Taylor Swift singing "Love Story" and then he (or she) created the backing for the song on the S970 using the GENOS Nashville Pop style. This video solidly reinforces my excitement about Yamaha arrangers and particularly the S970. Hats off also to this young guy (or gal)....the video is a great testament of the power of a MOTL arranger keyboard.

PS - sorry if by chance this video may have already been discussed. I tried searching for it but came up w/no results.

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#444589 - 01/12/18 12:28 PM Re: One More Reason I Love my S970 [Re: saxxman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good find, Randy - never saw this one before.

This video reinforces my theory about a good vocalist performing with an arranger keyboard. Not lots of right hand fills, her vocals were the lead, and she apparently used a headset mic, which allowed full control of many of the keyboard's features while not worrying about where the mic was positioned. She used the vocals very judiciously, which is the ONLY way to use them, even with an outboard vocal processor, and everything was very well balanced. If I sell the boat this winter, there will be a new Genos sitting in my office. And, if that boat sells, I think when the weather gets a bit better, I'm gonna jump on an airplane and fly to Ibiza Spain, take a nice vacation, and see Abby Pianoman perform in person - hopefully, with his new Genos.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#444615 - 01/12/18 05:02 PM Re: One More Reason I Love my S970 [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I guess attaching a super stars recording to a style in the KB is a cool feature, but I wonder what the practical use would be ...

I did go to the original video and there I found where to find the Taylor Swift A Cappella recording which I found interesting ...

#444620 - 01/12/18 07:36 PM Re: One More Reason I Love my S970 [Re: saxxman]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Tony - agreed. I have no real interest in doing this either (playing along w/a commercially recorded vocal).

The pleasant surprise to me was the sound quality pf the S970 as a foundation for the track. Can't wait to try some of the Genos converts on the S970.

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#444623 - 01/12/18 07:56 PM Re: One More Reason I Love my S970 [Re: saxxman]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By saxxman
Tony - agreed. I have no real interest in doing this either (playing along w/a commercially recorded vocal).

Unless you could get just the vocal recordings of groups like the Modernaires or the Jordanaires ... wink

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online