SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#429821 - 03/13/17 06:07 AM Music Therapy Walking with Parkinson's
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I see this happening at our restaurant job. An elderly person comes in with the family for dinner with a walker, next thing you know they are dancing.

Regards,

Jerryghr

#429832 - 03/13/17 07:24 AM Re: Music Therapy Walking with Parkinson's [Re: Jerryghr]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
That is always very rewarding when it happens! Makes it all worthwhile.

#429857 - 03/13/17 03:54 PM Re: Music Therapy Walking with Parkinson's [Re: Jerryghr]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
At one of the places I play, 30-40% come shuffling in on walkers. When the music starts it appears most of the walkers and no longer needed. I'm thinking: Having a Walker at some of these assisted living facilities is due to "peer pressure" or "keeping up with the Joneses". There is no doubt music has physical and emotional benefits. Jerry's clip is GREAT. I loved it when he started singing.
Eddie

#429860 - 03/13/17 04:07 PM Re: Music Therapy Walking with Parkinson's [Re: Jerryghr]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Originally Posted By Jerryghr
I see this happening at our restaurant job. An elderly person comes in with the family for dinner with a walker, next thing you know they are dancing.

Regards,

Jerryghr

Very Cool.
Thanks
Eric

#429861 - 03/13/17 04:24 PM Re: Music Therapy Walking with Parkinson's [Re: Jerryghr]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I have been at one of Eddie’s senior jobs, amazing how he helps them get into a positive state of mind. I was thinking that he should bring a walker with him just to be part of the crowd; but then we could not tell them apart. (Ouch, I couldn’t resist)

Jerry, a special thank you; I never thought of dancing and walkers in this way. I have decided to go back to playing for seniors; when I do I will add the idea. They don’t have to dance, just moving will be a step forward.

I have the beginning of tremors, it doesn’t get you at the end. It just ruins your penmanship and trying to drink a cup of coffee. (grin) I have attended Parkinsons Rehab meetings out of curiosity; your idea would fit beautifully.

John C.
There was an article on stationary bike riding and Parkinsons disease. They said it had a positive effect.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online