SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#407503 - 08/31/15 02:04 AM audio Formats in our arrangers..
Bachus Offline

The new audio standard for professional audio seems to be 192khz 24bits losless audio.

So why do we spend so much money on instruments that have this high fidillity and then use compressed MP3 files, loosing quallity in the end..

Tough uncompressed audio files or lossless compression files are much much larger. Comparison table
The current hardware with Terabytes or atleast 100s of Gigabytes storage could still handle 1000's of these hi quallity audio files.

So why do our arrangers not support Flac?

and who is using wav files instead of mp3 files?

another new feature is multi track audio, like we have seen on the SD7. There is also a new standard for this supported by Native instruments and Yamaha called Stems which consists out of 4 audio tracks that you can mix your self. supporting both MP4 audio standards as lossless audio. (Does anyone know if the multitrack audio of the SD7 does support this standard?) You can also loop parts of the audio, just like we do with midi files and markers.

A feature like this would add a lot to audio usabillity for arrangers? maybe we will see this, or even a version with more then 4 tracks in future arrangers.. I could imagine an 8 track audio standard with backward compatibillity to Stems.. (so it works with both standards)

So who else is using the audio playback of their arrangers regularly?

and whats your opinion of these kind of advancements?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#407509 - 08/31/15 08:35 AM Re: audio Formats in our arrangers.. [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I record myself about every night using WAV format, on Tascam DR05. I generally convert to MP3 before occasionally sharing something because of the size.

#407512 - 08/31/15 08:50 AM Re: audio Formats in our arrangers.. [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
I record myself about every night using WAV format, on Tascam DR05. I generally convert to MP3 before occasionally sharing something because of the size.

Yes, i think thats a fair reason to use MP3..

But i dont think you would lightly use it as a backingtrack?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#407513 - 08/31/15 09:07 AM Re: audio Formats in our arrangers.. [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've never gotten into using audio backing tracks; I just play styles. If I did, I'm sure WAV format would sound better, although reproducing it through most P.A. speakers would probably make the difference pretty insignificant.

#407517 - 08/31/15 09:44 AM Re: audio Formats in our arrangers.. [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

MP3s are more then fine at 320 for backing tracks ....
they sound amazing!

#407520 - 08/31/15 10:42 AM Re: audio Formats in our arrangers.. [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The problem with mp3 is that to make the file smaller, the encoder has to take something away from the music (The smaller the file the more gets taken away) which can never be got back. (It is gone forever)

If you record in a lossless format (Such as FLAC or uncompressed WAV) every part of the music is retained, and thus is ideal for storage as the Master.

If you wish to convert to another format, then by converting from a lossless file you can be sure you are getting the best possible conversion you can get. (Something that cannot be achieved with a compressed (mp3 for example) file)

It is always best to record to a lossless format and then convert to a smaller file if needed. (Not the other way round)

Bill

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online