SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#406513 - 08/06/15 01:32 PM Getting folks I know interested in arrangers
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
This is a bit of a strange topic, but here goes.

(As others perhaps have experienced this?) Where I live, the economy is booming. I have friends that have the $$$+. My friends would have a blast with an arranger.

Buying a Tyros is like buying something fun to play around with...no big deal price wise. They are used to paying several thousand $$$ for something they can use...even if they don't need it on a daily basis.

Some of these folks play keyboards. Others, like me, are stringed intrumentalists, play stringed instruments...could play a keyboard with some help.

I'm trying to get them interested in arrangers, because, like me, they could learn and grow and have a great time.

Thing is, when I mention an arranger, even a PSR S443($250) their eyes glaze over. It has buttons, it has programming.

It isn't the cost...the cost is peanuts compared to what they pay for other things. It's the complexity....the programming.

Suggestions?

Tx

Edited by guitpic1 (08/06/15 01:34 PM)

#406518 - 08/06/15 03:32 PM Re: Getting folks I know interested in arrangers [Re: guitpic1]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Most arrangers default to a piano sound on start up, so just turn it on and play, and don’t worry about the rest, until they say “Is that all it can do” you can then showcase other sounds and finally simple backing. (Under no circumstances use sophisticated (All singing all dancing) styles or song specific styles, or they will just say “I can get that on my phone”)

That’s my suggestion

Bill

#406523 - 08/06/15 05:22 PM Re: Getting folks I know interested in arrangers [Re: guitpic1]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
That's a subject I've already been thinking about for a while now. I've come to the conclusion, the best way to "get folks interested in arrangers" is to know how to play one inside and out, including the harmonizer, sound effects, sequencer, etc and then let them hear what it's capable of.

As I transition out of gigging, I'm thinking all kinds of thoughts....and that was one of them.

MARK

#406546 - 08/07/15 05:21 AM Re: Getting folks I know interested in arrangers [Re: Mark79100]
Bachus Offline

When i compare my Tyros 5 to some serious keyboards like the Kronos and the Motif it allways strikes me how simple and intuitive the UI is. But then i am a technician, which might make me look with different eyes.(i think the Motif series would really bennefit from a lot of the simple UI of the Tyros)

In this age of technollogy certainly a few buttons more or less would not make a difference.

Do they have an ipad? or are they afraid of the icons they need to push?

just kidding, all technollogy needs an addaption periode, a periode of getting used to it. But most often a good tutorial by a friend works miracles...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#406572 - 08/07/15 10:27 AM Re: Getting folks I know interested in arrangers [Re: guitpic1]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi QP1:

Your photo depicts two guitarists. Are your friends guitar or stringed instrument players? There is a bit of a negative factor about keyboards in today's music world. As a songwriter, I would not be able to make much progress without my 910. I can select the style, instruments to be incorporated, tempo, multi-pads to enhance a melody and do so many things a writer with only a single instrument cannot do.

I would jump at the chance to own a Tyros or a 950 but realistically, cost is a factor because coming from a corporate background, a cost analysis makes it difficult for me to justify expenditures until I "hit the big time!"... LOL!

You did not mention what (if any) keyboard you own? Seeing and being able to play an Arranger (no matter what make or model) is a fairly straightforward demonstration... and the versatility of these computer based instruments is marvelous.

If an Arranger is not available for them (your friends) to see and touch, get them to visit YouTube and see what real talented players are doing with Arrangers.

Best of luck with convincing them to "take the plunge."

Dave Rice

http://www.ShowCaseYourMusic.com/DaveRice/

#406594 - 08/08/15 04:15 AM Re: Getting folks I know interested in arrangers [Re: Riceroni9]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Hi Dave,

Tx to you and the others for replying.

Many of my friends are guitar/string players.

Currently, I have a PSR S970, S750(for sale), and Tyros. 4. I started playing keyboard about 4 years ago because of problems with my hands. I couldn't grip the guitar to play chords very well anymore.

I find that arrangers are a great way to get a guitar player started on keyboard. Just a little tough to convince my friends to give it a try.

smile

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online