SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#403047 - 06/02/15 01:45 AM choose your piano sound
Bachus Offline

there are 6 piano´s (all sampled keyboards) in this video... the first part is black screen, just the sound. the 2nd part reveals the choices..

Which on did you favor?
And which one didn't?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#403048 - 06/02/15 03:03 AM Re: choose your piano sound [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

It's a tough one. They are more similar than I expected. Via headphones I prefer the Nord. Kronos is quite good, but is this the Japanese Grand? Guess I like its softer German Grand more. I also like the VR-09, except one high clinging noise that seems to be in the sample of one key (I think high c). The Fantom one is interesting, sounds a bit like an old upright, nice for a change, too. The Tyros seems to have some kind of stereo chorus effect that sounds a little 'processed' to me. And the PA-900 is better than expected, just the hammer sounds when playing fortissimo are missing compared to the others.
Generally, all the examples are played to much in the forte/fortissimo range for my taste. You would have to hammer constantly on a real piano to get this aggressive level, this makes it a bit artificial, but keyboarders have more and more got used to this sound (maybe in the constant fight with drummers and e-guitarits).

#403049 - 06/02/15 05:45 AM Re: choose your piano sound [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

I vote #1 NORD Stage2 by far .. keys

Edited by Dnj (06/02/15 05:48 AM)

#403050 - 06/02/15 06:35 AM Re: choose your piano sound [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

I just left a Youtube comment for the video. One of these misleading comparisons again. Bachus, you own a Kronos, you can certainly confirm that besides this very hard 'rock piano' there are totally different, beautifully warm pianos in the Kronos. Same goes for the very 'special' Fantom G piano: I don't know which of the several Fantom piano waveforms he chose for this recording...

Edited by rosetree (06/02/15 06:45 AM)

#403053 - 06/02/15 07:57 AM Re: choose your piano sound [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
I just left a Youtube comment for the video. One of these misleading comparisons again. Bachus, you own a Kronos, you can certainly confirm that besides this very hard 'rock piano' there are totally different, beautifully warm pianos in the Kronos. Same goes for the very 'special' Fantom G piano: I don't know which of the several Fantom piano waveforms he chose for this recording...

Well, actually, i am picking up my Kronos tonight, i have had it on order since February, but they still cant say a delivery date on thomann.de. So i settled with a used Kronos X with many expansions

I think this is a much better comparison of Nord and Kronos :

In the orriginal video it sounds to me as if the creator wanted to make the Piano of the Korg sound flat and not warm.. after all, its easy to change your sound... In the end the piano samples of the Nord are less then 200Mb, where the Korg is up to 4GB..

It indeed sounds to me like an eddited version of the German Grand, something to cut trough the mix when playing with a band... I agree with you the Japanese grand is much warmer...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#403054 - 06/02/15 08:04 AM Re: choose your piano sound [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Well, actually I think the German Grand normally has the warmer sound, but I suspect the same as you that he made it particularly bright to get a rock piano.
Going to watch the other video later.

Edited by rosetree (06/02/15 08:11 AM)

#403064 - 06/02/15 03:13 PM Re: choose your piano sound [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Bachus
In the end the piano samples of the Nord are less then 200Mb, where the Korg is up to 4GB..

I listened to the second demo, here the Kronos piano sounds much, much better. To me both Nord and Kronos pianos are on the same level here.

Regarding the difference of 200 MB to 4 GB, I found that most of the Gigabytes are spent for the long decay of the tones, pedal resonance, many velocity layers, but the main "substance" of the piano sound can be achieved with less than 200 MB. When the Krome came out, I recorded its 2,8 GB German Grand (identical to Kronos) as well as the 128 MB expansion piano of the Korg M3 - they sound nearly identical. Really surprising, but on the other hand it's clear, e.g.if you have 16 velocity layers instead of 4, it's 4 times the data amount. Make 21-second-long samples instead of looping after 3 seconds, and you get 7 times the data amount. Summed up, it's 4 x 7 = 28 times the data amount - but the piano timbre as such isn't different at all, the first 3 seconds of the piano sample at a certain velocity sound absolutely identical.

Edited by rosetree (06/02/15 03:17 PM)

#403069 - 06/02/15 04:08 PM Re: choose your piano sound [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

I found my comparison Krome piano versus M3 XP again and just uploaded it:
https://soundcloud.com/rorosetree/piano-comparison-korg-krome-vs-korg-m3-xp-2013

The 128 MB M3 piano (the second one) even sounds better than the 2,8 GB Krome piano here, due to the sustain pedal, which wasn't connected to the Krome in the store where I recorded it. But otherwise, both pianos sound nearly identical.

#403091 - 06/03/15 07:57 AM Re: choose your piano sound [Re: Bachus]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
to be honest I did not like any of them but if I was to choose I would chose # 1 Nord but they all do not sound very good .

#403097 - 06/03/15 09:26 AM Re: choose your piano sound [Re: musicforyourday]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: musicforyourday
to be honest I did not like any of them but if I was to choose I would chose # 1 Nord but they all do not sound very good .

You are referring to the first video, I suppose? What about the second one? I think both Nord and Kronos sound terrific there.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online