Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#402786 - 05/26/15 09:38 AM Keyboard weight
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Weighed my Tyros 4 and soft case today.

46lbs.

If I was gigging everyday like many of you, I might have to rethink the use of the Tyros.

As is, the Tyros only goes out about once a week on average. Two times a week, once in a while.

smile

#402790 - 05/26/15 10:49 AM Re: Keyboard weight [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Funny, I used to haul around organs that weighed several hundred pounds. Now I'm wincing at the thought of a plus 30-pound arranger! Last organ I had, and I mean LAST, was FS500. What a beast. Then add Leslie, dollies, etc. No wonder lots of us have bad backs in our old age.
To me, the problem with Tyros is not so much the weight, but the shape and design. It seems really bulky and hard to handle. I suppose the bulk of them are setting in living rooms or music rooms so it doesn't matter.
I wish Yamaha would incorporate those incredible lead voices in a design that would be really portable. I think people would pay the price! How about a Tyros module that weighs about 12 pounds?
They would sell out the first two days!

#402794 - 05/26/15 12:06 PM Re: Keyboard weight [Re: DonM]
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
that's one of the major reason that i uses mjpro and korg micro keyboard for my gigs. both including mic, cables fits on a backpack.

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#402796 - 05/26/15 12:19 PM Re: Keyboard weight [Re: guitpic1]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I was going to buy a used Tyros a year ago and Ian suggested I buy an S910 instead. I shall ever be in his debt. It is my grab and go board.

#402797 - 05/26/15 12:30 PM Re: Keyboard weight [Re: Bernie9]
Bachus Offline

Compare it to the weight of the kawaii mp11 stagepiano, and you know how lucky you are with a light Tyros

http://keyszone.boards.net

#402801 - 05/26/15 01:16 PM Re: Keyboard weight [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I had serious thoughts about purchasing a T4 when they first came out. Then, after lifting a friends T4 that was in a case with a lightweight, flatscreen monitor and a couple cables, I immediately came to the stark realization that this thing was bulky, unwieldy and too damned heavy for someone that loads and unloads his gear every day of the week, often twice a day. Even my PSR-S950 begins feeling a bit heavy after a while and it's among the lightweights.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#402802 - 05/26/15 01:17 PM Re: Keyboard weight [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I had serious thoughts about purchasing a T4 when they first came out. Then, after lifting a friends T4 that was in a case with a lightweight, flatscreen monitor and a couple cables, I immediately came to the stark realization that this thing was bulky, unwieldy and too damned heavy for someone that loads and unloads his gear every day of the week, often twice a day. Even my PSR-S950 begins feeling a bit heavy after a while and it's among the lightweights.

All the best,

Gary cool

DITTO cool2

#402804 - 05/26/15 01:20 PM Re: Keyboard weight [Re: guitpic1]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I don't mind the extra weight of my Tyros4 over a PSR or other keyboards that don't have semi-weighted action with aftertouch.

Since I primarily do all instrumental tunes, the quality of the melody line is what I depend on to keep the listener's interest, and having that incredibly sweet FSX keybed gives me a lot more control over every sound, especially the SA/SA2 voices.

Semi-weighted actions, by their very name, do add to the instrument's overall weight, but, for my needs, and considering the important benefits, it's worth it.

Mind you, I also like playing the PSR action due to its lightning quick response, but after getting accustomed to having aftertouch, I really miss not having it.

Ian

#402805 - 05/26/15 01:29 PM Re: Keyboard weight [Re: guitpic1]
rosetree
Unregistered

It would be fantastic if most instruments were available as modules like the Korg M3. You could use a high-quality Roland A-800 pro master keyboard with them. It has aftertouch and definitely more feel and more weighted keys than a MoXF, but only weighs 4.5 kilograms.

#402806 - 05/26/15 01:39 PM Re: Keyboard weight [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I prefer light touch to semi-weighted. You can have both light touch and aftertouch, as evidenced by Korg PA900.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online