SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#386754 - 03/21/14 11:09 AM A sorriful cancellation...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Today, I had to take a September wedding job from my calendar. As I've stated many times, I no longer do weddings unless both the bride and groom are over 55 years of age. Still, with this criteria, I manage to do a half-dozen weddings every year.

The September wedding was to be between two very old friends, people whom I've known since age 12. We've always kept in contact over these many years, and the bride, Beverly, lived just a block away from where I grew up. I was a pretty bashful kid back then, scared to death to ask her out on a date and never did. She was drop-dead gorgeous, and every guy in the neighborhood had an eye on Bev, but they, like me, kept away because her dad was a really big guy, and her mom was a Baltimore County cop and crossing guard. Scarey!

Bev ended up marrying a guy that lived across the street from me, Larry, a country boy that only had one thing on his mind at the time, and at 16 she found herself pregnant and unmarried. They married a few months prior to their son's birth, I joined the Navy and life went on.

Larry decided he was gonna be a star, walked out on Bev and drove to Nashville. He managed to cut one record, changed his name to his stage name, then like many wannabe stars, got hooked up on drugs, hookers, and died at a very young age.

Bev, re-married, had a couple more children, and her second husband suddenly passed away from an undiagnosed heart problem. She became a widow for the second time before she turned 60.

Over the years, many of the kids from Harford Park, which was the neighborhood where we grew up, managed to stay in touch, and for the past decade, another friend, George, put together a neighborhood reunion. George is one of the nicest people on the planet, and a great organizer. He managed to find just about everyone we went to school with, and then located an inexpensive hall to hold the reunion. I provided the music at no cost, and even donated several bottles of homemade Kahlua.

George and Bev were like two peas in a pod. They loved to dance and party, and George being a widower of more than 10 years, quickly fell in love with Bev. One evening, we had them over for supper, I broiled some of my famous fillet mignon ka-bobs, and they announced their wedding would take place in September and asked if I would be willing to provide the music. Of course I accepted and was honored that they asked for me instead of hiring a DJ.

They were both very excited about the upcoming nuptials, and for the most part, when they were together, they were like a couple teenagers contemplating marriage. They went on a cruise together, then to Disney World, Mystic Seaport, and attended many events locally. At tall times, George was a perfect gentleman, and Bev, the most elegant, beautiful lady you could ever hope to meet.

On Saint Patrick's Day, George cooked up a big pot of corned beef and cabbage, a tradition handed down to him from his Irish family. He loaded the food into his car and drove the 15 miles to Bev's home to surprise her with his Irish gift. When he arrived, no one answered the door, and having a key, he let himself in, only to discover that Bev had quietly passed away during the night.

Today, I must go to Bev's viewing and try to console my old friend George as best I can. I'm hoping I can hold back my tears as well, but I'm not sure this will be possible.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (03/21/14 11:10 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#386757 - 03/21/14 01:41 PM Re: A sorriful cancellation... [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Gary,

Very sad story may your friend rest in peace, I hope George finds the strength to move on.

#386758 - 03/21/14 02:04 PM Re: A sorriful cancellation... [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary sorry for the loss of your friend... Our prayers and condolences go out to all of you...

#386759 - 03/21/14 02:24 PM Re: A sorriful cancellation... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Sorry to hear about your friend Gary my sympathies & condolences.

#386760 - 03/21/14 02:46 PM Re: A sorriful cancellation... [Re: travlin'easy]
billyhank Offline

Gary,

Very sad for sure, but please don't hold back your tears -both of you will feel better after.

Yes it is tough to loose one you love, but the blessing of going in your sleep has no better alternative way.

Bill G

#386763 - 03/21/14 03:23 PM Re: A sorriful cancellation... [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Sad, sad.

#386770 - 03/21/14 03:53 PM Re: A sorriful cancellation... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks guys - just returned home from the viewing, bid farewell to Bev, then took Carol out to a restaurant for dinner. It was very difficult for me to see this beautiful, gallant, elegant lady lying there in a casket. I will always remember her smiling face and treasure the fun times we had over these many years.

Gary cool

#386772 - 03/21/14 04:15 PM Re: A sorriful cancellation... [Re: travlin'easy]
124 Offline

My dad always used to say, "we're not here very long" and us lads would take that with mre than a pinch of salt. Only now are dad's words ringing truer than ever. Hold on to those memories, Gary, sounds like you grew up with some great people worth remembering.

#386782 - 03/22/14 08:15 AM Re: A sorriful cancellation... [Re: travlin'easy]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
That's very sad, wow, I sure feel sorry for George, that is heartbreaking.

#386786 - 03/22/14 08:44 AM Re: A sorriful cancellation... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

124, I know great people all over the world, but the ones that you grew up with are the hardest to lose to the grim reaper. When I saw George yesterday, he seemed to be holding up well, and was surrounded by many old friends, which seemed to help lighten his burden. We talked a bit about going sailing this summer, something both he and Bev enjoyed doing aboard my boat when we got together. Bev loved the water, and was an excellent recreational angler.

Thanks again everyone,

Gary cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online