SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#374022 - 11/01/13 07:44 PM Using a Touchscreen Computer with my keyboard?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Question:

Using a Touchscreen computer with a 11.5 screen (or bigger) would allow me to have a larger screen than my Ipad. – If I used it instead of my laptop it would eliminate the keypad.

What are the Pros and Cons?????

John C.

#374024 - 11/01/13 08:55 PM Re: Using a Touchscreen Computer with my keyboard? [Re: bruno123]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Lots of pros, like easy searches, bigger size, faster processors, multi-tasking with multiple pages open, keyboard, mouse, and more.
Cons include people thinking you're doing karaoke when they see the large screen. Also it takes a larger battery if you're moving around.
To me, lots more pros than cons. I have a small laptop, Ipad and Android tablet, but I always use the laptop. Well, I always have the laptop on hand but generally don't use it.
DonM

#374031 - 11/02/13 06:29 AM Re: Using a Touchscreen Computer with my keyboard? [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Don and I use the same laptop, which in my case supplies lyrics when I have a brain fart. For some strange reason, I cannot seem to remember all of the words to all of songs I've performed over the past 60 years. The laptop is also a great backup device in case the keyboard were to fail in the middle of a job, something that has never happened to me, personally. If it did, you could finish the job with midi files and MP3s.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#374066 - 11/02/13 12:26 PM Re: Using a Touchscreen Computer with my keyboard? [Re: bruno123]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Most of our arrangers have lyrics displays... I am not sure, if we are concerned about the audience thinking we are a karaoke act, why we don't skip on the laptop thing, and just read the little reminders from the arranger screen?

After all, that's kind of what the audience EXPECTS us to look at..!

#374068 - 11/02/13 12:36 PM Re: Using a Touchscreen Computer with my keyboard? [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Most of our arrangers have lyrics displays... I am not sure, if we are concerned about the audience thinking we are a karaoke act, why we don't skip on the laptop thing, and just read the little reminders from the arranger screen?

After all, that's kind of what the audience EXPECTS us to look at..!

the audience thinks karaoke anyway as they are hearing all this music be it styles, smf, mp3, or whatever and see ONE GUY PLAYING one instrument.....they aren't stupid. But does it sound good to them?, are they enjoying the music provided?, thats all that matters, stop fooling yourself into thinking your not a SOLO AUTOMATED RHYTHM INSTRUMENT PLAYER...
I dont know about you but I am sure dam proud of what I do on stage with an arranger and a laptop...& my continued success is proof that I'm doing a good job year after year.
Dont try to hide what your doing playing an arranger KB, singing to styles, tracks or whatever, FLAUNT IT MY FRIENDS!

Thak you

#374075 - 11/02/13 01:16 PM Re: Using a Touchscreen Computer with my keyboard? [Re: bruno123]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So why bother playing anything at all, Donny? According to you, they don't care one iota. Think of all the money and time you could save singing with a laptop next to you and nothing else...

Or maybe you underestimate what they can tell the difference between?

Try it... see how it works for you!

#374076 - 11/02/13 01:28 PM Re: Using a Touchscreen Computer with my keyboard? [Re: Diki]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I never try and fool the audience, but, at least play what you can, like left hand chords and, above all, don't sit there doing nothing during a 16 bar instrumental. Play a counter melody or something.

#374077 - 11/02/13 01:32 PM Re: Using a Touchscreen Computer with my keyboard? [Re: Bernie9]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Hey guys, fantastic but could we get back to my question below. Thanks

Using a Touchscreen computer with a 11.5 screen (or bigger) would allow me to have a larger screen than my Ipad. – If I used it instead of my laptop it would eliminate the keypad.

What are the Pros and Cons?????

John C.

#374080 - 11/02/13 01:41 PM Re: Using a Touchscreen Computer with my keyboard? [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
John, I would go with the PC because of the added versatility, but keep in mind that I'm old and feeble according to some folks here. I liked it better when I was known as GStud - dirty old man. wink

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#374108 - 11/03/13 02:50 AM Re: Using a Touchscreen Computer with my keyboard? [Re: bruno123]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
John

What programs are you going to run? You have an ipad now and,presumably, it is not big enough for you to see notes and lyrics.

I have an ipad with Unrealbook for lyrics and lead sheets, and Karaoke Anywhere for MP3&G files. I also have a Windows based touch pad(Acer Icona Tab) used for the above plus scrolling Midi Karaoke files(notes and lyrics), plus my VanBasco SMF program. The tablet can be detached from the keypad mounted on my mini mic boom with the ipad holder on the end.

Both work well for me, except you would find 10 inches too small. I see merit in what you exploring. What specific tablets are you considering ?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online