SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#371320 - 08/29/13 05:09 PM Barefoot Wedding...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Normally, I don't do weddings. I don't play young-people's (18 to 30 YO) music, and I've seen the same 12, drunken, young girls show up at every wedding I've ever played or attended. My current wedding policy is that I will only play if the bridge and groom are over 55 years of age. They'll have fun, I'll have fun, and I'll be well paid.

Next weekend I have a barefoot wedding to do. The ceremony and reception will take place on a 55-foot houseboat, and there will likely be about 30 people aboard. The boat will be anchored in the Bohemia River, located in the Chesapeake Bay's upper reaches, just off the Elk River. Both the bridge and groom meet my age criteria for wedding performances.

I'll be using one of my PSR-3000s and the Bose L1 Compact for the job, power will be supplied by a 4,000-watt DC-AC inverter and the inverter is fueled by a large bank of golf-cart batteries used for the house power of the boat. So far, everything seems to be covered - well with one exception.

I'll be on the top deck of the houseboat, kinda like a large sundeck that's about 12 feet above the water. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate, and the humidity will be lower than it has been for the past week. High humidity can be a real problem with outdoor jobs on or near the water - believe me I know. I had one night while playing in the Florida Keys when I actually had to put a clear, plastic sheet over the keyboard and amp because the humidity was so high that it almost felt like rain. By the end of the night that plastic sheet was as wet as if someone had sprayed a garden hose on it. Fortunately, the equipment stayed completely dry beneath the plastic sheet.

Barefoot weddings have become very popular in many of the beach and resort areas of the world. And, there are companies that specialize in these types of events. At this particular job, formal attire is sandals, shorts, and a Hawaiian shirt. Even the preacher will be required to wear shorts and sandals, or no shoes at all.

I asked the bridge and groom if they had any special songs they wanted me to play. The first one they wanted was Unchained Melody, and then they said anything by Jimmy Buffett, lots of country, and beyond that it was my call. I love these kind of jobs. Maybe I'll have Carol take some photos that I can post.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#371321 - 08/29/13 05:25 PM Re: Barefoot Wedding... [Re: travlin'easy]
124 Offline

Gary, sounds like a cool gig. Here's one that'll work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCXbryiZAHs

#371323 - 08/29/13 06:19 PM Re: Barefoot Wedding... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Great suggestion - and I have a perfect style for that song.

Thanks a heap,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#371325 - 08/29/13 07:18 PM Re: Barefoot Wedding... [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Try to keep the bridge from falling down! rotfl

#371326 - 08/29/13 08:20 PM Re: Barefoot Wedding... [Re: travlin'easy]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Wow Gary that sounds great! I'd love to do a wedding like that except for the boat. Anymore, I have such a problem getting around that I need total accessability. I can't climb up and down with gear anymore. Have a great time with it!

Joe party

#371327 - 08/29/13 08:55 PM Re: Barefoot Wedding... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Sounds like fun. I have an outdoor job, by the lake, Saturday from 3 til 7 or so. Temperature is supposed to be around 100.
They do have a gazebo for me to use, with a huge fan. With the breeze off the lake, it shouldn't be too bad. I do parties for them 3 or 4 times a years. Shorts and flip-flops, lots of home-made food!
DonM

#371333 - 08/29/13 10:37 PM Re: Barefoot Wedding... [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I hate playing outside ... in any temperature. There are just so many annoying variables. I discourage them as much as I can, and when I can't ... they pay a nuisance charge! (serious!)
I'll refer all my lawn jobs to you, Gary!

#371343 - 08/30/13 07:06 AM Re: Barefoot Wedding... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

I only DJ outside.....to many bad experiences using the KB..

#371344 - 08/30/13 07:26 AM Re: Barefoot Wedding... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Last time I played this job, Memorial Day, a thunderstorm came up. Had to load up in a hurry! Truck is only a few steps away though. No problem. No nuisance charge necessary cause it pays really well!
DonM

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online