SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#368408 - 07/01/13 04:14 PM Keyboards that Cost Around $1000. Any good ones?
cdog46 Offline

Today I was all set to buy a Casio Privia PX-350. This piano keyboard with some styles has received some very good reviews in the trade publications. (Keyboard)street price is $800.

Before I go any further-I just wanted to say that you can not always trust reviews. I know that; but they can point you in directs-may be not the direction you want to go.

anyway-I was not terribly impressed by the pianos, the styles were cheesy, and the action was OK.

I came away really disillusioned by keyboards in general that retail around $1000. Why? Because the pianos on said boards never sound good to my ears.

One of the reviews of the Casio PX-350 said it was the best souunding piano sounds in a keyboard under $2000. Then I think sun came out over Marblehead(My original hometown). I think keyboars which is about my budget range sound crappy because they are crappy. Any truth to that?

This may not mean anything to anyone but I have good ears. I use Totem speakers; if you have ever heard them, you'd know I have good ears. That is beside the point-I know. I'm just trying to give you a little of my resume.
I am not trashing Casio; I think their products are very greatly improved & nobody beats them in the quality of their inexpensive watches.

I think the only keyboard I would dare buy now is a used Nord or Kurzweil. Would that get me on the right track??? I know these are not arranger keyboards but there is a ton of experience on this forum & I would be very interested in your comments.
I guess I should tell you-I judge keyboars by mostly piano sounds as they are my favorite sounds, then organs.

#368409 - 07/01/13 06:29 PM Re: Keyboards that Cost Around $1000. Any good ones? [Re: cdog46]
shim Offline

Loc: USA
Look at the korg krome. I hear it has a 4gb piano sample.

#368410 - 07/01/13 07:03 PM Re: Keyboards that Cost Around $1000. Any good ones? [Re: shim]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By: shim
Look at the korg krome. I hear it has a 4gb piano sample.

4gb total samples.paino (around 2gb).less samples than Kronos .no Japanese and other grands.only german.
Krome 88 - 1599$ (better piano sample/touch screen)or Yamaha Mox 8 1699$ (better acostic sounds)will be usable workstations if you want new (they are also light-32lbs)Stay away from Krome 61 (floppy and frigile keys ).

Yamaha p155 or even Cp33 if you want good weighted 88 with good piano sample.( $ 999).both will have better resale value than Casio .Kurz Sp5 -great but around $1799.

If you want an arranger and can live with nOt so great and less(61) keys Yamaha psrs750 (1100$) and korg pa 600 (1000$) (both actual out the door prices) are good choices.

Edited by jamman (07/01/13 07:11 PM)

#368411 - 07/01/13 09:06 PM Re: Keyboards that Cost Around $1000. Any good ones? [Re: cdog46]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think that far and away the best arranger for under $1,000. is Roland BK7m Module. You can find a new one for around $900. You'll need a controller to go with it, but they are relatively inexpensive.
Great styles, very good sounds. I like some of the pianos on it a lot.
DonM

#368412 - 07/01/13 10:33 PM Re: Keyboards that Cost Around $1000. Any good ones? [Re: cdog46]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Don't forget the BK-5... OK, not the world's greatest action, but still far better than on the Yamaha's PSR's. You can get those for under a grand.

And you don't need a controller extra, or the programming to use it.

#368438 - 07/02/13 10:25 AM Re: Keyboards that Cost Around $1000. Any good ones? [Re: Diki]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I just bought a Roland A800 PRO controller...same keybed as the BK5..

Don, would you have drawbar sets already assigned to the sliders?

I like the controller, but the BK5 is the way to go over the controller and BK7m....and reads the lyrics and chords on all SMF's..

#368445 - 07/02/13 11:26 AM Re: Keyboards that Cost Around $1000. Any good ones? [Re: cdog46]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'm just not sure, unless you are VERY good with MIDI, that a module and a remote is the way to go. Most modern arrangers are studded with switches, knobs and sliders, to control a bewildering array of options to do whatever you need to do. Volume control of the Parts, effects, insert effects (better get good with sys-ex to do anything live to those!), buttons to do everything from muting certain tracks (programmable which ones on a per-Performance basis) to split activators (with a per-performance split point) Melody Intelligence activators.

Truth is, there is still much in a modern arranger that either has no MIDI control at all, or it involves sys-ex, but the hooks to the sliders and knobs in the keyboard version is part of the OS. Try to duplicate much of it on a remote keyboard, and you quickly find out how much is missing. Plus, to get what full measure of control the arranger allows, basically, you have to have a fairly decent controller. A good 61 should be about $400+, to get a full selection of knobs, sliders and buttons and an action at least as good as the hardware version.

So, a grand for the module, $400+ for the controller... and a boatload of work to do to achieve far less than the keyboard version can do. Another $500 or so, you are into the full version of the arranger, with no programming work to do, no hooking up MIDI cables, and far better integration of control. The BK-5 offers far more control from the front panel than any controller can do, for little more than the BK-7m does by itself...

Now, I have a BK-7m. But I honestly wouldn't want to use if for a full arranger gig. It's the soundsource for my keytar, not a full gig solution. Those that want to go the remote keyboard route, best of luck and God bless, but I honestly think that the full version of the arranger is generally a MUCH easier solution, and at little, if any extra cost.

#368468 - 07/02/13 10:01 PM Re: Keyboards that Cost Around $1000. Any good ones? [Re: cdog46]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Yesterday, Yamaha introduced to their dealers the new YDG650. It will be out in August. It has 88 weighted keys and now features the highly acclaimed CFIIIS (uncompressed) P105's grand piano voice. The new model also features the ability to record .wav files direct to a USB thumb drive and there is a new feature which when turned on allows you to play single fingered chord changes and depending on what style you are playing the keyboard will automatically play different voiced chords to fit the style.
There is a stereo 1/8" aux input on the back to playback songs from iPads, etc.
The keyboard can be purchased in either black or white and will sell for a street price of $799.00.
This should be a great addition to Yamaha's digital piano line up.
(Retired 2021)

#368471 - 07/02/13 10:21 PM Re: Keyboards that Cost Around $1000. Any good ones? [Re: cdog46]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By: cdog46
Today I was all set to buy a Casio Privia PX-350. This piano keyboard with some styles has received some very good reviews in the trade publications. (Keyboard)street price is $800.

Before I go any further-I just wanted to say that you can not always trust reviews. I know that; but they can point you in directs-may be not the direction you want to go.

anyway-I was not terribly impressed by the pianos, the styles were cheesy, and the action was OK.

I came away really disillusioned by keyboards in general that retail around $1000. Why? Because the pianos on said boards never sound good to my ears.

One of the reviews of the Casio PX-350 said it was the best souunding piano sounds in a keyboard under $2000. Then I think sun came out over Marblehead(My original hometown). I think keyboars which is about my budget range sound crappy because they are crappy. Any truth to that?

This may not mean anything to anyone but I have good ears. I use Totem speakers; if you have ever heard them, you'd know I have good ears. That is beside the point-I know. I'm just trying to give you a little of my resume.
I am not trashing Casio; I think their products are very greatly improved & nobody beats them in the quality of their inexpensive watches.

I think the only keyboard I would dare buy now is a used Nord or Kurzweil. Would that get me on the right track??? I know these are not arranger keyboards but there is a ton of experience on this forum & I would be very interested in your comments.
I guess I should tell you-I judge keyboars by mostly piano sounds as they are my favorite sounds, then organs.

The PX-350 is pretty limited as an arranger keyboard, except for practicing or doing a couple of songs live.

But I don't think you give it credit as a digital piano. It has
1) fully weighted tri-sensor, hammer action, and scaled keyboard, 2) ivory and ebony simulated keys, 3) high definition MIDI, 4) damper resonance, 5) 1/2 damper capability. Overall, a fantastic acoustic piano sound in my opinion. Not perfect, but really great for the price.

#368499 - 07/03/13 02:56 PM Re: Keyboards that Cost Around $1000. Any good ones? [Re: Beakybird]
cdog46 Offline

So today I bought a used Kurzweil PC3LE7 for a little over 1000 with shipping. It may not be the best choice but I do think I'll like the piano sounds.
Thanks everyonr for your thoughtful suggestions and have a Happy 4th!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online