SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#347042 - 07/15/12 08:42 PM Roland BK5 helpful hint..
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I thought I would pass on this fix for other BK5 owners that may have had a problem with sequences originating from a Yamaha format (XG and XG lite)...sometimes the drums do not respond well on other manufactured keyboards...

The problem....these SMF's prevent the BK from using the "make up tools" stated they are not a SMF format...

For the fix, I use the G70 sequencer, and on "master track" remove the system exclusive events...and resave the file...The file now will work in the BK5 and allows the "make up" tools to do their job...It only takes a minute to fix and save..

Before the fix , the drums would always play a piano tone....This use to drive me crazy with the old E-600, and I could never figure out why...The high end G1000 VA 7/76 and G70 had no problem reading correctly..I guess the sequencer plays an important part in these keyboards....

I use to love the sequencer in the G1000..it was able to fix many files for me and my Yamaha buddies....much better than the soft sequencers I have used with a PC...

Give me the Hardware sequencer any day grin

#347046 - 07/16/12 06:30 AM Re: Roland BK5 helpful hint.. [Re: Fran Carango]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Fran

May give you a call soon. I'm still on the fence about the BK5 vrs. BK7M. I love the all in portability of the BK5 but would feel more comfortable behind a real keyboard so maybe the BK7M. I hate decisions like this !!!
As far as setting up I just find it difficult when you get in a tight situation like a NH rec room and have to lift a heavy keyboard out of its case thats on the floor and maneuver it onto its stand. When your done and packing up there's sure to be a wheelchair pushed up close to you so its even more difficult. Not to mention lifting the keyboard and hard case into the SUV. Same with restaurants. If theres no dance floor in front of you its manuvering between tables and not disturbing anyone. I still use my Crate KX220's for most gigs like you do the Cubes. One heavy piece but it can handle anything. Did another deck gig, popped the wheels off and put it up on a keyboard stand and it covered the whole place.
BTW if you really love the G1000 sequencer I have one for sale. Best part is I never used the sequencer so that part of the board is brand new HA!

#347048 - 07/16/12 06:55 AM Re: Roland BK5 helpful hint.. [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Fran

May give you a call soon. I'm still on the fence about the BK5 vrs. BK7M. I love the all in portability of the BK5 but would feel more comfortable behind a real keyboard so maybe the BK7M. I hate decisions like this !!!
As far as setting up I just find it difficult when you get in a tight situation like a NH rec room and have to lift a heavy keyboard out of its case thats on the floor and maneuver it onto its stand. When your done and packing up there's sure to be a wheelchair pushed up close to you so its even more difficult. Not to mention lifting the keyboard and hard case into the SUV. Same with restaurants. If theres no dance floor in front of you its manuvering between tables and not disturbing anyone. I still use my Crate KX220's for most gigs like you do the Cubes. One heavy piece but it can handle anything. Did another deck gig, popped the wheels off and put it up on a keyboard stand and it covered the whole place.
BTW if you really love the G1000 sequencer I have one for sale. Best part is I never used the sequencer so that part of the board is brand new HA!

Bill, read your own post again...you endorsed the reason you should get the BK5 over the BK7m smile

I will convince you when we get together...

#347064 - 07/16/12 08:52 AM Re: Roland BK5 helpful hint.. [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Sounds like a Roland LOVE FEST!!!

Fran thanx for the tip very helpful....if I still had my G70. frown

#347066 - 07/16/12 09:02 AM Re: Roland BK5 helpful hint.. [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Sounds like a Roland LOVE FEST!!!

Fran thanx for the tip very helpful....if I still had my G70. frown

You can always get another G70...besides the excersize will do you good.. smile

#347073 - 07/16/12 10:10 AM Re: Roland BK5 helpful hint.. [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

G70 again?...no way Jose...good studio piece but that's it....KORG is the Leader now on every count....glad I returned to KORG....just love the way it sounds and how they do things...
if I still used VH I would get the PA3x, just too gimmicky after a while for my needs.....as for the exercise I'm down 40lbs now baby and counting...went from a 48 to a 42 so far..who cares what you use?...bottom line is what does it sound like...that's all the audience cares about don't fool yourself,..carry on!

#347092 - 07/16/12 12:24 PM Re: Roland BK5 helpful hint.. [Re: Fran Carango]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny,

Post some pictures!

Fran, I think I have an old hernia truss around here somewhere. Donny lost almost as much as your G-70 weighs. wink Glad to see you're beginning to scale down a bit for the NH circuit. From my perspective it's the best job I've ever had.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#347117 - 07/16/12 02:51 PM Re: Roland BK5 helpful hint.. [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Donny,

Post some pictures!

Fran, I think I have an old hernia truss around here somewhere. Donny lost almost as much as your G-70 weighs. wink Glad to see you're beginning to scale down a bit for the NH circuit. From my perspective it's the best job I've ever had.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

Gary funny thing I dont have any of my old skinny clothes.....I really gotta go buy some new things to wear but I'm being cautious as whatever I buy now will be too big in a few weeks so I'm holding off till summers end and restock....
all I wear now are a new pair of khaki shorts I bought size 42 from a 48....T shirts and sandals when I'm not on stage... on stage I wear some nice different color Guayaberas XXl and black adjustable slacks for now....but they are swimming on me, long sleeve shirts and vests that I can adjust work good for indoor gigs with air-conditioning... wont be long..

#347139 - 07/16/12 05:04 PM Re: Roland BK5 helpful hint.. [Re: Dnj]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
For small stuff I use a Barbetta 41c. 2-10" speakers and tweeter biamped. Uncolored, clear sound with thunderous bass- 41.5 lbs..
http://www.barbetta.com/se41c.html

Next is a pair of EV SB122 subwoofers (34lbs ea) and ZX 1 satellites (16lbs ea) with poles for most of my jobs. Power amps, mixer etc in rack. I add 2 Klipsch speakers w/ 2-15's and a horn for big outdoor stuff. I am very weight conscious and prefer the sub /satellite setup to the larger footprint and higher weight of a full range speaker and tri-pod stands. Can be carried separatley- I use a bag for the zx-1's.

The same setup is available from EV with powered speakers- ZXa1 subs and zxa1 satellites ,but I don't like the idea of running power and audio all over the stage.

#347140 - 07/16/12 05:46 PM Re: Roland BK5 helpful hint.. [Re: sparky589]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: sparky589
For small stuff I use a Barbetta 41c. 2-10" speakers and tweeter biamped. Uncolored, clear sound with thunderous bass- 41.5 lbs..
http://www.barbetta.com/se41c.html

Next is a pair of EV SB122 subwoofers (34lbs ea) and ZX 1 satellites (16lbs ea) with poles for most of my jobs. Power amps, mixer etc in rack. I add 2 Klipsch speakers w/ 2-15's and a horn for big outdoor stuff. I am very weight conscious and prefer the sub /satellite setup to the larger footprint and higher weight of a full range speaker and tri-pod stands. Can be carried separatley- I use a bag for the zx-1's.

The same setup is available from EV with powered speakers- ZXa1 subs and zxa1 satellites ,but I don't like the idea of running power and audio all over the stage.

Sparky, what I own now ..I like a lot and have all the bases covered...
Starting with the Roland BA330...Mixer effects, anti feedback...Four 6 and 1/2 inch full range speakers and two tweeters...109 decibels..coverage up to 100 people..

Than I have my all time favorite Roland Cube 100 Keyboard amps 15" horn and tweeter...with preamp...I have four of these and can do virtually any job with different combination...one, a pair or two pair...When I use them with the Edirol digital mixer..it will beat anything I have heard or used.and no need for a sub...

That is my personal arsenal for sound system....

With the band we have three basic system....Yorkville NX 520's with Yorkville sub woofer...great quality..

Podium Pro 1204's (12")..these are the primary set up...and kick ..big time..

For the smaller venues we use a pair of Podium 802's with a mixer..and they can churn out a big sound too ..yet sound good at a lower volume too...

I pretty much have no interest in any other sound system, I have heard and used them all....and they won't do as good a job as what I have to me..

There are many great sound systems today, but I think they are lacking with the "modern" Class D amps...Give me the old A/B stuff...Yes I know our Yorkville 520's are class D...so I am speaking from experience smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online