Its a fine instrument but the
S910 just stole the show for me.
I'm probably the only person who
Prefers the s910. I don't think
The tyros 4 is worth the extra bucks.
I don't use vocal harmony so that
Too steers me towards the s910. Those
Analog kits are awesome

#331151 - 09/02/11 06:49 AM Re: played tyros 4 and psr s910 for 2 hrs. prefer s910 [Re: rolandfan]
Beakybird Offline

Thanks for the mini review. The S910 is a great board. I own an S910. I never played a T4, but I'm extremely impressed with the demos, and I wish my keyboard had more of the T4's sounds and styles.

Anyway, hope you get the pleasure of owning an S910. You likely won't regret it.

#331152 - 09/02/11 07:14 AM Re: played tyros 4 and psr s910 for 2 hrs. prefer s910 [Re: rolandfan]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I had no problem choosing between an S910 and a Tyros3...the former had more bang for the buck, and had most of the the latter's features and sounds.

However, upon trying out the Tyros4, the differences were more apparent, even at first play.

Up until that point, I would have been very content with the S910, but the Tyros4 changed my mind.

The S910 is a terrific keyboard, but, not quite in the same league as a T4. The latter's sounds are incredible, and the styles are awesome, and can utilize the SA/SA2 sounds (not possible on T3), which are more plentiful and, of course, the T4 has a more robust construction and an aftertouch keyboard, which I have really come to appreciate.

I can fully understand why you like the S910 so much...I very nearly bought one, but the Tyros4 won out, in spite of it's much higher price...in my opinion, it's features, sounds, and overall quality, were well worth the difference.

Ian

#331153 - 09/02/11 07:33 AM Re: played tyros 4 and psr s910 for 2 hrs. prefer s910 [Re: rolandfan]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: rolandfan
I don't think the tyros 4 is worth the extra bucks.

I do agree with Ian that the 910 and Tyros 4 aren't in the same league, but the price diference seems extream.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#331172 - 09/02/11 01:09 PM Re: played tyros 4 and psr s910 for 2 hrs. prefer s910 [Re: montunoman]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I have a T4. My student has a 910. I play them both quite a bit. The S910 is truly one outstanding keyboard. But, I think you maybe need to try them both again, because somewhere along the line you missed something. The sound of the T4 is so far beyond the 910 it would be really hard to miss.

If money is not an issue, the T4 is the one to have. A no brainer.

As far as the money. For example, the soprano saxes are incredible. Google the price of a Selmer soprano sax. The sax alone costs about the same as what we can buy a T4 for.

#331175 - 09/02/11 01:24 PM Re: played tyros 4 and psr s910 for 2 hrs. prefer s910 [Re: Scott Langholff]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Scott Langholff

As far as the money. For example, the soprano saxes are incredible. Google the price of a Selmer soprano sax. The sax alone costs about the same as what we can buy a T4 for.

That's an excellent way of looking at the cost, Scott.

When we consider that on the Tyros4, we have several terrific SA/SA2 saxophones of various kinds (tenor, soprano, alto etc.) plus a multitude of other expensive instruments (the Single Coil Clean SA Guitar samples were taken from a $70,000 vintage instrument!!) not even including the acoustic pianos and Hammond B-3's, the monetary value of this instrument makes more sense.

I had extensive time on both S910 and Tyros4. The latter is quite in another league from the former, which, in itself, is a great instrument and a super bang for the buck.

Ian

#331195 - 09/02/11 11:23 PM Re: played tyros 4 and psr s910 for 2 hrs. prefer s910 [Re: ianmcnll]
Scott Langholff Offline

I think it would be a good idea to try them both though the same speakers and put a dummy plug in the 910 headphone jack to shut it's internal speakers off. No question the 910 is excellent, but a long ways from the T4.

#331204 - 09/03/11 11:58 AM Re: played tyros 4 and psr s910 for 2 hrs. prefer s910 [Re: rolandfan]
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I did it. I bought the psr s910
Today. Previous keyboards in the
Last 10 years were a roland va5,
Then tyros 1, then psr s900..umm
Then I bought a $30 pss 390 lol
Still have the pss..the grandfather
Lol. I'm going away for a trip so
The s910 hasn't been opened.will
Do so next month. Its a tyros2
Eater lol.

#331210 - 09/03/11 03:22 PM Re: played tyros 4 and psr s910 for 2 hrs. prefer s910 [Re: Scott Langholff]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
IAs far as the money. For example, the soprano saxes are incredible. Google the price of a Selmer soprano sax. The sax alone costs about the same as what we can buy a T4 for.

That's an interesting why to look at it Scott but I think a Tyros 4 (or any other keyboard out there) can only serve as an approximate assimilation of an acoustic instrument. Any pro sax player playing a Selmer will sound better and achieve results not possilbe on a keyboard.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#331212 - 09/03/11 04:58 PM Re: played tyros 4 and psr s910 for 2 hrs. prefer s910 [Re: montunoman]
Scott Langholff Offline

Originally Posted By: montunoman
IAs far as the money. For example, the soprano saxes are incredible. Google the price of a Selmer soprano sax. The sax alone costs about the same as what we can buy a T4 for.

That's an interesting why to look at it Scott but I think a Tyros 4 (or any other keyboard out there) can only serve as an approximate assimilation of an acoustic instrument. Any pro sax player playing a Selmer will sound better and achieve results not possilbe on a keyboard.

OK, I'll go with that. There are two new excellent soprano's on the T4, the Ballad Soprano and Pop Soprano. Let's then consider two student grade Yamaha brand soprano saxes. They would go for around what you can buy a T4 for and I'm pretty sure the T4 will sound better than two novice sax players honkin' away rotfl bounce (joke)

Actually, now that I think about it. The thing that would give away that the T4 isn't exactly real is all the notes will have perfect intonation, something that is quite hard even for pro sax players. Listen to Buddy Rich's recording of Dancing Men sometime. They have 2 sopranos playing the lead line in unison for awhile, they are so far out of tune it sounds like a cat fight laugh

You know the old musicican's joke. What's the difference between a soprano sax and a lawn mower? You can tune a lawn mower rotfl

Edited by Scott Langholff (09/03/11 05:06 PM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online