SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#321147 - 04/07/11 07:25 PM I purchased a Casio Privia PX-130
Beakybird Offline

I bought this digital piano off Ebay for $350 shipped. Barely touched.

It weighs 24 lbs. The keyboard has a very piano-like feel. The speakers suck.

I have some pretty good Sennheiser headphones, and the 2 piano voices sound very realistic throughout the range.

I am very impressed with two of the three electric pianos.

You can switch between three voices with buttons. To do any other voice changes or any other editing, you have to use a combination of the Function button and pressing another button or keyboard key at the same time.

So this keyboard is not ideal for live play unless you don't plan on doing editing on the fly.

The only audio out is through one of the two headphone outputs. The only midi in/out is through the USB input.

The only way to get a half damper effect is to purchase an optional three pedal unit. And I think that the only way to keep the three pedal unit in place is by having the optional wooden stand. If I keep on liking the keyboard, I'll get these.

I'm going to put this through my Logitech Z-2300's. I'm sure it will sound great. A great sounding no frills piano with a responsive key bed - especially given it's light weight.

#321199 - 04/08/11 06:59 AM Re: I purchased a Casio Privia PX-130 [Re: Beakybird]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Beaky, that's a good price for that board. I'm considering that or a controller to go with a Roland BK7m. I don't care for my s910 piano sound all that much and might consider going back to the Roland sounds and styles. The Casio might give me a decent piano sound and keybed to use live and add the Roland sounds for my SMFs and styles.

#321203 - 04/08/11 07:10 AM Re: I purchased a Casio Privia PX-130 [Re: Beakybird]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Cassp...the Casio that Beaky bought does not have dedicated Midi in/out ports.

If Casio is what you want, you might want to look at the PX-330 which does have Midi in/out, and only weighs 24 lbs...should work fine with the BK-7m.

It also has a pitch bend wheel...that should be very handy for using with the Roland.

Ian

#321230 - 04/08/11 11:14 AM Re: I purchased a Casio Privia PX-130 [Re: ianmcnll]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Cassp...the Casio that Beaky bought does not have dedicated Midi in/out ports.

If Casio is what you want, you might want to look at the PX-330 which does have Midi in/out, and only weighs 24 lbs...should work fine with the BK-7m.

It also has a pitch bend wheel...that should be very handy for using with the Roland.

Ian

Yeah, the PX-130 is for someone who wants a simulated real piano experience. It's only good live if you don't change voices on the fly, and if you don't need to do any editing.

I've noticed, btw that occasionally, the damper effect is lost even when the damper pedal is pressed. I can't repeat it. If it's a polyphony issue then it's weird, because I can keep the pedal pressed and do all kinds of arpeggios and there are no drop outs or damper disappearing. But every 5 minutes when I'm playing, it seems like I lose the damper. It could be the pedal that came with it. Who knows.

#321234 - 04/08/11 11:29 AM Re: I purchased a Casio Privia PX-130 [Re: Beakybird]
ianmcnll Offline

How are the keys, Larry? Some of the PX-130 had (or developed) wobbly keys, according to some users on Piano World forum.

I believe it may have been the earlier units of that model, so yours may not have that issue.

You could also check on Piano World and see if anyone else had the sustain pedal issue.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...20&%20.html

Ian

#321247 - 04/08/11 12:52 PM Re: I purchased a Casio Privia PX-130 [Re: Beakybird]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Anyone checked out or have some hands on info on the Casio PX3. This seems to be their latest TOTL Digital piano. No arranger functions, just piano and other sounds. I'm thinking that and the Roland BK7M for my future. Be fun to play on a "Real" keyboard again

Thanks in advance

#321256 - 04/08/11 02:32 PM Re: I purchased a Casio Privia PX-130 [Re: ianmcnll]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
How are the keys, Larry? Some of the PX-130 had (or developed) wobbly keys, according to some users on Piano World forum.

I believe it may have been the earlier units of that model, so yours may not have that issue.

You could also check on Piano World and see if anyone else had the sustain pedal issue.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...20&%20.html

Ian

No wobbly keys. I've played for over 1/2 hour, and I can't get the drop in damper effect to happen again. It still might have been the cheap pedal that came with it.

I found a used PX-330 for $500. It's tempting. You get a lot more for the extra price ...

Then again, I bought this for the piano experience, and one advantage/disadvantage of the piano experience is that there are no buttons to press. Just you and the piano. If you don't sound good, you can't layer on strings and add reverb, you just have to learn to play better. Also, no distractions.

#321257 - 04/08/11 02:46 PM Re: I purchased a Casio Privia PX-130 [Re: Beakybird]
ianmcnll Offline

Yep. it's nice playing just piano...I usually have a P-95 here to play...makes you work for sure, but it also gives you great satisfaction knowing you don't need all the "extras"...not that it's not nice to have them.

The weighted keys also add another element to the degree of expression...that's why I always want 88 weighted hammer when I'm doing a solo piano gig (or a real piano)...of course, there's the pedal work too.

Certainly you won't go wrong spending time playing piano Larry...you're right, it is an "experience" and I find it adds to my arranger playing as well.

You certainly got a great deal on your Casio. How does it sound through the Logitech Z-2300's...I have them as well...awesome speakers.

Ian

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online