SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#319482 - 03/16/11 06:42 PM NEW Carbon Fiber Guitars....
Dnj Offline

http://blackbirdguitar.com/

Maybe they will make lightweight Arranger KB's out of Carbon in the future also?

Edited by Dnj (03/16/11 07:03 PM)

#319499 - 03/17/11 01:59 AM Re: NEW Carbon Fiber Guitars.... [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Very cool. Carbon fiber has a good resonant wood like quality which is why it is a good material for making guitars. Steinberger first started making carbon fiber guitars back in the early 80s. They looked very futuristic at the time which looked good in those 80s video music clips.

I used one of these basses in a recording session back in the 80s ... loved the sound .... but absolutely hated that it had no head stock. While that looked very cool there was nothing to anchor your thumb on at the end of neck and my hand would slip off the end when playing on the low frets. Though this current version looks like they have extended the neck out more probably to get around that problem.

#319519 - 03/17/11 07:46 AM Re: NEW Carbon Fiber Guitars.... [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Semilive has one and loves it.
DonM

#319524 - 03/17/11 08:47 AM Re: NEW Carbon Fiber Guitars.... [Re: Dnj]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Yes, I have one made by Composite Acoustics, a Louisiana company that went bankrupt, supposedly due to the high costs of producing guitars in this manner... it ain't easy... and the price has to be up there. They didn't make it and people into guitars were upset, but then, recently, Peavy bought them out and is now re-introducing the line.

I bought this because it is 100% impervious to any weather conditions. 40 below or 110 degrees, 100% humidity or bone dry, doesn't matter. Throw it in the swimming pool, keep it in a scorching hot car in a Texas July, doesn't matter. And... they sound really good!

That Blackbird sounds really good, too.

I don't know if they would make keyboards out of them, too costly.

#319527 - 03/17/11 09:44 AM Re: NEW Carbon Fiber Guitars.... [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
There is an excellent carbon line out of Australia called Rainsong. They're probably more than this new line. They started out with a complete line, including an excellent 295 size jazz guitar with two pick-ups. Now, I think they're limited to three or four models.

I played the one Janice Ian uses when she was in Lexington...excellent! The deal is, they ship from Australia. If the instrument is not in tune, you can send it back, from wherever, and get a full refund.

Janice is a REALLY good player, by the way...

R.

#319538 - 03/17/11 02:07 PM Re: NEW Carbon Fiber Guitars.... [Re: Dnj]
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.

#319594 - 03/18/11 02:51 PM Re: NEW Carbon Fiber Guitars.... [Re: Dnj]
jedi Offline

Is there anyone here that owns a Rainsong guitar ?

I know it`s not going to age , but how do they sound after a year or so ?

Even though they are not wood , there are factors like fret wear , intonation , bridge alignment , stuff like that might change overall tonality of the guitar.

I love a good wood guitar that you can listen to it "grow up" and mellow out , I think I would miss that.

Time to start thing about another guitar I think !!

I love the Taylor 812ce , someday. smile

Gary

#319595 - 03/18/11 02:57 PM Re: NEW Carbon Fiber Guitars.... [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Good sound or not - one day there will simply be no wood for the luxury of guitar building. I wonder if the Takamine forest in Japan was damaged this week. All the major guitar manufacturers have been addressing the issues of declining wood for years. That pretty 3 pc back on the Martin D-28 was not for looks ... it was because it was too hard to find 2 good, matching pieces to make the backs with. Turned out to be an attractive option, but it all started because of shortages of good wood. (no jokes, now!)

#319597 - 03/18/11 03:11 PM Re: NEW Carbon Fiber Guitars.... [Re: Dnj]
jedi Offline

O__come on Dave thats sad , however you bring up a very valid statement !

With all the stuff that comes from wood and wood byproducts.

You really have a point , albeit a sad fact of modern life on planet earth.

Gary

#319600 - 03/18/11 03:54 PM Re: NEW Carbon Fiber Guitars.... [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've been following discussions in Taylor's mag, "Wood and Steel" and it really is a little frightening .... I hope we can still find a way to produce oxygen when the trees are all gone too. Playing guitar will be the least of our worries if we can't breathe. I'm not a doomsday kind of guy, but I do think about it once in a while. I recycle way more than I used to. I think we all need to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online