SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#315244 - 02/04/11 03:00 PM OT-Gonna have to dial it back a step or two...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
It's been called to my attention that, occasionally, I come across as really being full of myself.

So, I went back a while and read some of my stuff. Musicians have egos, but...DAMN!

Even I didn't care about details of my own job history (music and other), the size of my guitar collection, education, day business, motorcycles...the list goes on and on....AND ON. Too much is too much!

Even though there are members who have been here (Lexington) to "see and shake their heads", some of the BS is a little hard to swallow.

I can tell you, while everything I ever said here is truthful, it's often just plain WEIRD and EXCESSIVE.

I'll try to dial it back a bit!

Russ

#315255 - 02/04/11 04:52 PM Re: OT-Gonna have to dial it back a step or two... [Re: captain Russ]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Aw ..... looks like my reply to this post evaporated! I worded it so nice too ... now I don't know if I feel as nice as I did a few moments ago! lol
I wanted to say that Russ is an old sage and we are lucky to have his input on this site. All performers have some ego, but it's part of that wonderful, creative package that makes others want to listen to us!
Personally - I love reading about interesting collections and creative jobs that pay the bills .... so, talk on, McDuff .... you've got a lot to say and you say it SO well!
Just dial it a teeeeny bit ... if you must. We don't want o see that soft underbelly just yet!
UD

#315257 - 02/04/11 04:56 PM Re: OT-Gonna have to dial it back a step or two... [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Wish I had something to flaunt; I'd be bragging all the time.
I do have quite a pile of used music junk, but I'm getting rid of it. Some of it. A little bit of it.
You worry too much Russ.
DonM

#315263 - 02/04/11 06:46 PM Re: OT-Gonna have to dial it back a step or two... [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hey Russ...don't change!

We love you just the way you are!

Isn't that a song?

Seriously, do not change.

The world is a better place for having you in it, and we are blessed to have you as a friend and fellow musician.

Your buddy,

Ian

#315288 - 02/05/11 03:21 AM Re: OT-Gonna have to dial it back a step or two... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Hey Russ. Don't change anything. There is nothing about your posts I would want you to change. In fact I am asking you NOT to change the way you post. I love reading your postings and would miss it if they changed. You are just being mistakenly self critical.

#315298 - 02/05/11 06:57 AM Re: OT-Gonna have to dial it back a step or two... [Re: Nigel]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Russ,

I don't believe it has anything to do with ego. You are proud of your accomplishments, both as a businessman and musician, and rightfully so. I know a lot of folks that have walked through this life and accomplished little or nothing. In the end, they tend to be fairly sad individuals who often are jealous of those that have taken risks and eventually became successful.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#315433 - 02/05/11 10:19 PM Re: OT-Gonna have to dial it back a step or two... [Re: captain Russ]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Only thing I'd change is wanting you to post MORE...!

It's healthy in this bastion of solo entertainers to get the perspective of someone that still thinks music is a collaboration with PEOPLE, not just a machine, and that jazz is an American art form, not just music that is hard to play with weird chords we don't know how to play in One Finger Mode..!

That you are a great guy with a heart as big as a house is just the icing on the cake.

Keep 'em coming. Accelerando poco a poco bow

#315490 - 02/06/11 12:34 PM Re: OT-Gonna have to dial it back a step or two... [Re: Diki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Russ ... who the heck told you to start THINKING ?!?!? laugh ... when we want you to change you will know it ... for now and the foreseeable future (can ANY body see the future??? wink ) just keep doin' what you been doin' !!! ... nobody has given you permission to change ANYTHING !!! ... except of course if you are going to change and post MORE of your music ... instrumental AND vocal ...
laugh laugh laugh

#315495 - 02/06/11 12:57 PM Re: OT-Gonna have to dial it back a step or two... [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
I come across as really being full of myself.

Beats the heck out of really being full of el toro poo poo, as are some here on the 'zone. Let's face it, you've 'been a lot of places, in (your) life and time' __Leon Russel. Whenever anyone has been as active as you have been for such a long time (another way of saying, you're old smile ) and involved in so many things, the least of which is a long and storied musical journey, it's only natural that some of those experiences would creep into the conversation. If you feel the need to counter some of that 'good guy' image, you COULD let us in on some of those late-night, after-the-gig, party stories smile smile smile.

Hey, we don't think you're perfect, just a little bit ahead of the pack. Who loves ya', baby?

chas

#315612 - 02/07/11 11:35 AM Re: OT-Gonna have to dial it back a step or two... [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Thanks so much, friends, but I still think I spread it on a little thick, sometimes, so I'm going to try to not be as "full of myself" as I usually am.

I appreciate all comments, but Diki, your kindness almost left me speechless.

You folks are a big part of the reason why I didn't just give up after my injury.

And, for that and other kindnesses, the "bwana of BS" is having a hard time finding the right words.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (02/07/11 11:36 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online