SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#311507 - 01/08/11 11:48 AM Yamaha DD-65 (I just got one yesterday)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Hey folks.., I know it's an arranger forum.., but quite a few here are drummers (and some who'd like to be).

I just got the Yamaha DD65 yesterday, and all I can say is WOW! Yamaha really did their homework on this unit. It's a HUGE step up from the previous model IMO. The layout is much better (the design greatly improved as well).

For me (space) lately has become a huge issue with my music gear. I have very little space to work with, and even a small electronic set by Roland or Yamaha wouldn't fit in my playroom. The DD65 really fits in nicely for those of us with limited space. Plus the new models will fit on any standard snare drum stand!!!

If any of you are interested in getting into drums.., or in my position (already being a drummer with NO space for a full size kit anymore). Take a look at the DD65. It's worth the money IMO.

**Also.., it's not as small as you'd think either. It's nowhere near the size of a full kit.., but large enough to get comfortable on.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#311510 - 01/08/11 12:17 PM Re: Yamaha DD-65 (I just got one yesterday) [Re: squeak_D]
Dnj Offline

Good luck Squeak with your new unit!!

wheres your profile pic?

#311529 - 01/08/11 01:43 PM Re: Yamaha DD-65 (I just got one yesterday) [Re: squeak_D]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I like that you can do hand percussion with it. I always shied away from kits like these because you can develop bad habits because all the surfaces are sooo close together. If you were to move to an acoustic kit after practicing with this kit, you may have many more mis-hits on rims because of the spatial differences.

I can't wait to hear your review after you use it a while.

Congrats and have fun!!!
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#311533 - 01/08/11 02:31 PM Re: Yamaha DD-65 (I just got one yesterday) [Re: kbrkr]
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
It certainly takes some getting used to. For the first few hours I felt like I was playing a kit in a small closet ;-) After a few hours though you start adjusting to the smaller playing area. Honestly., I see more of an issue going from a full kit to this rather than going the other way. During the first few hours I was missing pads like mad.

If you're used to a full kit..., then this unit does take some getting used to. If you go from this to a full kit.., I think the adjustment would be much easier.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online