SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#246748 - 10/30/08 03:56 PM 2 or 1 bar fills...?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It's driving me crazy!

I have quite a lot of imported styles, conversions from Korg's, Yamaha's, etc., but an awful lot of them have fills that are two bars long...

Roland have always kept it down to one bar, so you kick the pedal or hit the fill button, it immediately goes into the fill, and comes straight into the next variation. But these two bar fills are driving me insane I just can't seem to get used to hitting them at least a bar before I actually need them...

So, my question is... is there something in the Korg or Yamaha OS that takes these two bar fills, and turns them into a one bar fill if you ask for the fill in bar 8 of an 8 bar phrase, or do you ALWAYS have to kick them in earlier?

And, if so, are ALL the fills two bars long, or are some just one? How can you tell?

My solution, BTW, is that I have to go into ALL the fills, and erase out the first bar. It makes converting the style more of a chore than it should be!

#246749 - 10/30/08 09:39 PM Re: 2 or 1 bar fills...?
Diki Offline

Bump...

Not ONE of you has a comment on this?

It's not political, it's not a 'bash' of any arranger, it's the kind of question this forum's about (so I'm told!)

#246750 - 10/30/08 09:46 PM Re: 2 or 1 bar fills...?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I don't have a Yammy right now, but WHEN you trigger determines if it will wait and play the whole fill, or play the last part of it.
It's in the manual somewhere.
Most of the Ketrons have a "go to top" button that immediately starts at the top of the measure. Some keyboards have half-fill feature also. It's late and I'm tired and not thinking too well.
DonM

#246751 - 10/31/08 05:09 PM Re: 2 or 1 bar fills...?
Diki Offline

1/2 bar fill still does what it does in a one bar fill... change it to a 2/4 bar. Not quite what you are shooting for

What I'm curious about is, firstly, whether Korg or Yamaha, etc. are ALL two bar fills, and secondly, if you hit the button for a fill on beat 2 of a bar, how does it know whether you want to go into beat 3 of the FIRST bar of a 2 bar fill, or the beat 3 of the SECOND bar...?

I don't recall bumping into this when I actually tried out other arrangers, but it might have slipped past in the general strangeness of it all!

So, do Korg's etc. go to bar 1 if you hit them during EVEN note bars, and Bar 2 if in ODD ones (that's the only way I can think round the problem), and what happens if you have an odd number bar phrase?

#246752 - 10/31/08 05:49 PM Re: 2 or 1 bar fills...?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Diki ... sorry I can't help you ... my technics does one bar fills ... BUT, if I hit the button on beat 3 going on 4, it will finish that fill and play the fill from beat 1 ... so I can end up with a 6 beat fill ...

t.

#246753 - 10/31/08 09:05 PM Re: 2 or 1 bar fills...?
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Yamaha styles always have "one bar" fills only. The OS can not handle longer fills.

Regards
Jørgen

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site

#246754 - 11/01/08 04:55 AM Re: 2 or 1 bar fills...?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jørgen Sørensen:
Hi

Yamaha styles always have "one bar" fills only. The OS can not handle longer fills.

Regards
Jørgen

There's a few Tyros 2 styles...not sure which...that are 2 bar fills. They screw me up too.

Try as I might, I have a hell of a time firing it at the right time. Its certainly not intuitive to me, for sure...

Anyone ever miss hit their variation button and turn yoru beat inside out? That's really fun, especially if you do it when you have a packed dance floor, lol...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#246755 - 11/01/08 03:19 PM Re: 2 or 1 bar fills...?
Diki Offline

So is this just a Korg thing?

#246756 - 11/01/08 03:33 PM Re: 2 or 1 bar fills...?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Diki...to the best of my knowledge, all Yamaha fills are 1 bar...as Jørgen mentioned in an earlier post, the OS is not capable of longer ones.

Ian

#246757 - 11/01/08 03:40 PM Re: 2 or 1 bar fills...?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Diki...to the best of my knowledge, all Yamaha fills are 1 bar...as Jørgen mentioned in an earlier post, the OS is not capable of longer ones.

Ian

I beg to differ, guys. There aren't many of them...very few, in fact but there's been instances where the fill takes a full two bars to play itself out...

They may be a "mistake" but they do pose a performance issue because its not easy to fire them properly on the fly...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online