SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#240643 - 08/23/08 01:55 PM Yo, calling Capt. Russ!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
While speaker shoping at GC the other day, I decided to try the Electro 73? that was on display. I was supprised to find a significant difference in the key feel between it and the C1. The C1, to my mind, feels much more "organy" ie. B3'ish. The Electro felt more like your average semi-weighted synth. The C1 organ voices also sounded more authentic in all the important ways (c1,c3,v1,v3,percussion,leslis sim). Loved the el. pianos, though.

As the only guy with enough gear lust to own both, Russ, what do you think? Could it just have been this particular instrument or perhaps the fact that it had not been 'broken in' (it looked right out of the box).

chas

#240644 - 08/23/08 02:12 PM Re: Yo, calling Capt. Russ!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Have you had a chance to try the Stage Nord's yet?

I am interested in how the 73, 76 and 88's feel... Supposedly, the 76 is a weighted and the 73 is a waterfall, but it's impossible to tell from a manufacturer description what they mean by these terms...

Is weighted REALLY weighted, or is it semi-weighted?

The Electro 61 I've played felt more synth-like than organ-like, IMO. Mind you, I've played Hammond's latest Porta-B and B3 clones (the big ones!) and even they don't feel all that close to a decent B, either...

#240645 - 08/23/08 02:22 PM Re: Yo, calling Capt. Russ!
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Actually, I'm gonna go try a stage 88 early next week. I just heard some demos of it last week for the first time. Yeah, I know it's been around awhile, but it passed me by for some reason. Anyway, I was really impressed with the acoustic piano sounds and Rhodes as well. I wasn't too excited about the B3 sounds, though it could have just been the guy who made the demo didn't know how to program a decent patch.

From reviews I've read, the action on the 88 is supposedly pretty fast. They call it hammer action, but most people seem to think it is a little light for acoustic pianos, heavy for organs. I'm going to be interested to give it a little test drive next week.

#240646 - 08/24/08 11:52 AM Re: Yo, calling Capt. Russ!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I look forward to your review...

#240647 - 08/25/08 08:46 AM Re: Yo, calling Capt. Russ!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey, Chas, got an Electro 61 about the time you got your C-1. You're right; the feel is more synth-like. Love the weight and the pianos. Use it on my right hand at 90 degrees from the C-1. Sounds great and looks cool, too! The Electro is my "go-to" keyboard for general short gig use. Generally plug directly into a small three channel Carvin 100 watt multi-purpose unit. that way, I've got a guitar, keyboard and vocal channel.

Works for me!

Russ

#240648 - 08/26/08 07:10 AM Re: Yo, calling Capt. Russ!
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
My Nord Stage review in the Clavia forum.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online