SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#232387 - 04/17/08 10:10 AM OKYWEB 3 anyone using this module?
John DiLeo Offline

#232388 - 04/17/08 10:13 AM Re: OKYWEB 3 anyone using this module?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
After a quick glance, it seems to me a good laptop would do all this and much, much more. And for less money.
DonM

#232389 - 04/17/08 12:27 PM Re: OKYWEB 3 anyone using this module?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
"HUGE 77 note polyphony"... hehe

Built-in GM sound module. Be afraid... Be VERY afraid!

#232390 - 04/17/08 01:38 PM Re: OKYWEB 3 anyone using this module?
John DiLeo Offline

Yea very expensive for its features & specs.
I'll pass for sure. Just thought I'd pass it along.

#232391 - 06/12/08 04:40 AM Re: OKYWEB 3 anyone using this module?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have had the Okyweb3 for about 6 months now and before that the Okyweb2. I agree it is overpriced, BUT, it is much better than a laptop in a live situation.
I tried using a Dell XPS with 4 GB of memory and had insurmountable issues with latency on the midi's. The other problem I experienced was due to the fact that I actually use the laptop for work and so must have other software loaded on it that had conflicts with the midi software. I've also watched other performers using laptop fumble around during their set.
The Okyweb sounds great and is very simple to use in a live situation. It plays both midi and mp3 backing tracks and you can do key changes on the fly, create set lists, stop and start for special arrangements, etc. Plus it is much more rugged than any laptop (save for the 10K ruggedized versions).
If you can dedicate your laptop just too music fine. If you actually use it for other stuff I'd consider getting the Okyweb3.
No doubt though, it IS overpriced. Wish they had some competition in this market.
Cheers.
Quote:
Originally posted by John DiLeo:
Yea very expensive for its features & specs.
I'll pass for sure. Just thought I'd pass it along.

#232392 - 06/12/08 05:37 AM Re: OKYWEB 3 anyone using this module?
Dnj Offline

First off IMO nothing beats a laptop on stage if setup & used correctly I have a few....One setup just for stage use Its a must.. This unit has a terribly small display...& in no way compares to searching for songs like a laptop which cam display 80/100 + songs at a time etc etc ...
Overpriced is an understatement
The Ketron MIDJAY at the SAME price trumps this unit Big Time in SO many Ways & in features, sounds, & flexibility.

#232393 - 06/12/08 06:24 AM Re: OKYWEB 3 anyone using this module?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Since switching to the G70, PSR3000 and now e60, I have set my laptop aside because these keyboards permit me to store my entire songlist on a small memory stick. I no longer need bring along the LT and any extra connectors and/or sound modules I used in the past.

That said, the laptop was/is a very convenient and efficient way to store and deliver music on the job. I never had problems with latency nor did I ever have wiring issues. Only one, and it was my fault, did the LT overheat and seize up. But once I figured out that I hadn't kept the fan and vents clean and clear, everything cooled down and worked as it should.

#232394 - 06/12/08 06:37 AM Re: OKYWEB 3 anyone using this module?
Dnj Offline

I have never seen anyone integrate using One arranger keyboard as a SEEMLESS fluid flexible no downtime between songs interchange of modes eg: Style/SMF/Mp3 to date.....Without the use of a Laptop or other means....until they separate & allow SIMULTANEOUS usage of MODES on an arranger so you can play & segway into Styles, SMF/MP3's at THE SAME TIME. Ketron Midjay is on the right track & till now unsurpassed in this department....I really enjoyed mine except for the small display, hope they incorporate these features in their new AUDYA offering also. But to get back to topic....I won't leave home without my laptop it's THAT Important on stage for so many reasons..
Just ask my Uncle Dave

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-12-2008).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online