SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#226719 - 02/11/08 05:33 AM Edit Volumes of Style Parts and Save Style on S900?
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hello,

I am doing alot of Style editing on my Yamaha S900. Mainly I am adding Left Hand sounds, as I tend to do alot with my left hand. Most styles have a very mellow, quiet "pad" sounds (strings, choral etc.) for Left Hand; I am changing to pianos, guitars, etc.

I also want to modify the "mix" of the Style Parts - maybe turn down PHR2, maybe turn up BASS, maybe even mute (set to zero) one of the ACC parts.

I do a SAVE of my modified style - and all is OK except that my changes to the Mixer Volumes and Channel On/OFfs are not saved for Style parts. I know that the built-in Styles have level (volume) setting for each part (RHY1, RHY2, PHR1, BASS, etc. etc.) specific to each style.

Is there a parameter that I need to enable? I'm saving only the Style itself, as a Style file. For this purpose, I'm not using Registrations. I know that I can save whatever I want in a Registration - right now I'm simply wanting to save my own (modified) Styles and have them work just like the built-ins, only with my modified sounds and volume levels.

Thanks for any advice!
Jim

#226720 - 02/11/08 05:44 AM Re: Edit Volumes of Style Parts and Save Style on S900?
Dnj Offline

Jim you have to do this all in
"STYLE CREATOR", then EXECUTE>SAVE

#226721 - 02/11/08 07:07 AM Re: Edit Volumes of Style Parts and Save Style on S900?
jimlaing Offline

Thanks - will try this. I currently do all my style changes without using Style Creator - successfully. I re-voice the left-hand voice (sound), change its volume level, sometimes tweak or change Right1 and Right2, save these into the 4 OTSs, then SAVE the Style into a new file. I'd think that saving the Style into a file would save everything about the style - for example, it DOES save my re-done OTS settings with my new style, it saves my default tempo with my new style, but it does NOT seem to save volume levels of the style parts with my new style.

Thanks, I'll dig into Style Creator and see if this works. . .

Jim

#226722 - 02/11/08 07:50 AM Re: Edit Volumes of Style Parts and Save Style on S900?
jwyvern Offline

Jim,
It's true you can save OTS's at any screen successfully, but if you've made changes to the Style parts and you want them to to "stick" you have to open Style Creator and use the Save button that lies within there. (say- on the Assembly page.)

John

#226723 - 02/11/08 10:48 AM Re: Edit Volumes of Style Parts and Save Style on S900?
jimlaing Offline

I found my own answer to part of my query - I had been trying to change Volumes for the Style PArts, then saving the style, which didn't work.

What I found is that you simply have to save these changes as part of each OTS (up to 4) that are part of the style. Worked perfectly! I didn't need to go to the Style Creator.

However, saving the "ON/OFF" Channel status does not work this way, so maybe that must be done in Style Creator.

SO - my conclusion for now - which will suit my needs - is to change any volumes for Style Parts, including perhaps setting some to zero (to silence them), then save this into any OTS settings that I have for that style. And of course, SAVE the style. Then when I recall (call up) that saved Style, and use the OTS, the volume levels for all Style Parts will be whatever I set them to.

Thanks for the responses / answers that people have entered in response to my query ...

Jim

#226724 - 02/11/08 11:38 AM Re: Edit Volumes of Style Parts and Save Style on S900?
jimlaing Offline

I was wrong! Seems that the OTS "saves" stored my volumes for things like LEFT, RIGHT1, RIGHT2, MIC, SONG, but when I tried to save volume settings for PHR2 or RHY1 or other Style Parts, they did not get saved.

Guess I'll have to delve into the Style Creator to do what I want to do!

Jim

#226725 - 02/11/08 02:05 PM Re: Edit Volumes of Style Parts and Save Style on S900?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim,

Style Creator is a very easy program to use, and extremely versitile. Hop on over to www.psrtutorial.com, click on the lessons tab, and you'll find detailed instructions on how to accomplish a multitude of style creating tasks using this neat, onboard program.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#226726 - 02/14/08 10:12 AM Re: Edit Volumes of Style Parts and Save Style on S900?
jimlaing Offline

Hi - final answer (confirmed by Yamaha) is that if I use the SAVE option presented when saving an OTS setting within a style, this will save the Style (and my OTS change) - but it turns out I must go into the Style Creator and use its SAVE option, to save not only OTS settings but the style's parts levels too.

So, thanks to the advice to try using Style Creator - I now make all my changes, store my modified (4) OTS settings, then say "NO" to the Save option presented when saving the OTS. Then I go to Function, Digital Rec, Style Creator, then do my SAVE from there.

Thanks again for the responses and suggestions,
Jim

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online