SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#226381 - 02/06/08 10:52 AM Ketron XD-9...Looking for opinion
coca Offline

Dear Friends:

I am looking to try out new used arranger keyboard after many year with Yamaha & Korg. A lot of my friends refered me to the Technics KN-7000. Well, I also have a friend that wants to sell me a used Ketron XD-9 keyboard.

I would like to hear your opinion on this keyboard.

1. How does it compare to the old X-1 keyboard?
2. How does it compare to the SD1 or SD1+?
3. Can it play SD1 or X-1 style pattern?
4. If the keyboard does not come with the HD, can I install a generic laptop HD into it? If so, where can I download the additional style and sound that comes
with the HD when purchase directly from Ketron. Does Ketron still sell the HD for the XD-9?

5. What is the fair value market price of a used XD-9? Is it worth the money or should I save the money to buy the new Aduya or even the old SD1 keyboard?

6. How does it compare to other brand of keyboard in the same price range?

I am looking forward to hear your comment. Thanks in advance.

coca

#226382 - 02/06/08 12:20 PM Re: Ketron XD-9...Looking for opinion
Dnj Offline

Talk to SZ member/dealer Prince AJ he can set you straight.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-06-2008).]

#226383 - 02/06/08 12:28 PM Re: Ketron XD-9...Looking for opinion
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by coca:
Dear Friends:

I am looking to try out new used arranger keyboard after many year with Yamaha & Korg. A lot of my friends refered me to the Technics KN-7000. Well, I also have a friend that wants to sell me a used Ketron XD-9 keyboard.

I would like to hear your opinion on this keyboard.

1. How does it compare to the old X-1 keyboard?

Better layout, fewer buttons, updated sounds and styles

2. How does it compare to the SD1 or SD1+?

Not very well!

3. Can it play SD1 or X-1 style pattern?

Yes.

4. If the keyboard does not come with the HD, can I install a generic laptop HD into it? If so, where can I download the additional style and sound that comes
with the HD when purchase directly from Ketron. Does Ketron still sell the HD for the XD-9?

Generic HD will work great. Styles and sounds are readily available. Just ask when you need them.

5. What is the fair value market price of a used XD-9? Is it worth the money or should I save the money to buy the new Aduya or even the old SD1 keyboard?

I would wait for the Audya or consider SD5.

6. How does it compare to other brand of keyboard in the same price range?

Wonderful sounds, wonderful styles, very good vocal processing, reasonable weight, archaic but workable operating system.

I am looking forward to hear your comment. Thanks in advance.

coca

DonM

#226384 - 02/06/08 12:47 PM Re: Ketron XD-9...Looking for opinion
coca Offline

DonM,

If I import the SD1 style into the XD-9, do I have to re-voice the style? Do I need to do any additonal work to make it sound right? If my friend offers to sell this keyboard for $1100, do you think it is the right price or not? Thanks.

coca

#226385 - 02/06/08 03:00 PM Re: Ketron XD-9...Looking for opinion
DonM Offline

I have not owned an SD-9 so my experience is rather limited, though I have researched them and tried one briefly. It is a later model than SD1, and I'm quite certain very little adjustment would be necessary.
I know not much was necessary on the Midjay, just an occasional volume adjustment on some style parts.
It sounds like a good price.
DonM

#226386 - 02/07/08 06:13 AM Re: Ketron XD-9...Looking for opinion
mc Offline

Loc: New York
I owned the XD9 and sold it for the SD5. The xd9 is a great board, many of the xd9 styles are on the sd5, so your not missing much by going with the xd9. I sure that you can find one for $1000 or less (used). if you want to spend the money, get the SD5. I would not spend my money on a SD1 since the board is now 6-7 years old. The xd9 has great styles, voices, hard drive, vocalizer. It's lighter then the sd5.

If your looking for a ketron you can go wrong with the xd9, if you want to wait of audya or sd5, there great also but a lot more expensive.

#226387 - 02/07/08 06:20 AM Re: Ketron XD-9...Looking for opinion
Dnj Offline

mc how do you like the Riff's on the Sd5 kb?

#226388 - 02/07/08 08:03 AM Re: Ketron XD-9...Looking for opinion
DonM Offline

I will have an SD5 to use by the end of the week. Looking forward to the Ketron sound again. I'll post more after I investigate it thoroughly.
DonM

#226389 - 02/07/08 08:07 AM Re: Ketron XD-9...Looking for opinion
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I will have an SD5 to use by the end of the week. Looking forward to the Ketron sound again. I'll post more after I investigate it thoroughly.
DonM

WOW!!! Now the cats out of the bag!
Good luck Don I know you'll teach that Keyboard to play Country real fast!! Cant wait for your in depth review & some demos ....in fact its one of the few Kb's left I was thinking of trying
http://www.bck.co.uk/htm/sd5demo.htm

http://www.bck.co.uk/htm/SD5.htm

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-07-2008).]

#226390 - 02/07/08 10:23 AM Re: Ketron XD-9...Looking for opinion
coca Offline

MC,

Thanks for the review. The keyboard that I am going to buy does not have the HD. I am concern that I might mess it up if I installed myself.

I am only looking for 61 keys keyboard so the SD1 is not any option at this point.

coca

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online