Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#226046 - 02/03/08 07:08 AM Inside The Wersi Abacus
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#226047 - 02/03/08 11:18 AM Re: Inside The Wersi Abacus
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
How well do these things take to the rigors of the road, Bill? That's a lot of fairly computer spec (read, not meant for traveling much) componentry inside there...

Ribbon connectors, USB cables, looks like a lot of stuff that isn't double clamped to avoid shaking loose on a not so gentle ride (they happen!).

Aside from the weight issue (not an issue with me, of course!), are most of these things in homes, or do many gig out a lot without having to mod the interior for a bit more security?

Just curious...

#226048 - 02/03/08 11:53 AM Re: Inside The Wersi Abacus
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
diki.. for your know, Ribbon connectors and USB cables are more secure, simple to change, to manage and easy to find for spare parts than the old system insicure cablages than have the Oasys: http://www.karma-lab.com/oasys/o_int.html
try to remove one of this custom cablage/connector and IF for pure case you will broken just one single wire from this special custom connectors...you have to cry!
For sure each of the Oasys parts are developed from Korg and then for just one stupid 20 cents cable you have to ask the original spare parts from Korg.
How much you will then cost? Phone calls, shipments, authorized personal only..

maybe just for one floppy ribbon cables that you can find in ANY PC store?

For me ( my opinion) the Wersi are much better hardware developed than the Korg.
Oasys is still OS propietary and you can not upgrade the mainboard ( old 32bit Pentium)
Look around in the Oasys forums how many people had try to upgrade it without success.
Every time you will upgrade the mainboard under Linux OS, you have to change and managing a lot of new packages/kernels.

Under Mediastation we made another 3 months of kernel/packages work, just for drive the new HDMI interface, CPU Dual/Quad core for the new AM2+ Mainboards..
here one small OS example update JUST for the Linux OS drivers...: http://www.lionstracs.com/data/changelog2011.txt

Not so easy..believe me...
cheers

#226049 - 02/03/08 12:11 PM Re: Inside The Wersi Abacus
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
According to the write up the Abacus had just been upgraded, and so all the fixings had not yet been put back. (There’s certainly a lot more securing in mine)
Due to the solid wood cabinet and steel panels and mountings, there are no major problems to gigging. (And many are gigged) Later models have an aluminium cage inside and are really well secured. (Fitted when they moved up from P3 to P4 and now AMD)
Regards

Bill

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online