SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#225084 - 01/24/08 08:18 AM PA800, SD2 & S900 question
mc Offline

Loc: New York
I know that some of the synthzoners hooked up the pa800 to the sd2. What does that do when you called a piano on the pa you get the piano of the sd2? Also will it work for the s900. I have some of the converted ketron styles in the s900. The ketron styles played on the s900 but through the sd2 will they sound like the if they were being played on a ketron keyboard?

Hmm, a bit confusing but thanks for the help.

#225085 - 01/24/08 11:34 AM Re: PA800, SD2 & S900 question
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
When you call up a PA piano, you get both the PA piano and Ketron SD2 piano, if the internal on the PA is on. I imagine it defaults to the GM set on the SD2. Rikki posted a way of calling any bank and program on the SD2 from the PA800. It takes a few keystrokes that way, but can be saved as a reg on the PA. The S900 question I don't know.
Bernie

#225086 - 01/24/08 08:12 PM Re: PA800, SD2 & S900 question
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi MC,
as Bernie mentioned , you can midi an sd2 to the PA800, set it to external, and the PA will call up whatever sd2 sounds you want to play as melody parts with the style.
It will also do bank changes.

You can also set the PA to both, in which case the PA800 determines the sound to be called. ie if you choose piano, the default piano on the sd2 will be called up. You don't have control of the bank changes.

You can also use sd2 for style parts.
-------------------------------------------
Are you asking , will a PSRS900 control an sd2 the same way as the PA800 does.

No, not really. A psr will only call up the default sd2 bank for melody parts. You won't have access to the other banks.

For style parts you'd have to alter the style & put in the correct bank & program changes to suit the sd2.
Plus , if it's a converted style that's been put thru EMC, the drums probably won't be correct for playback on the sd2, depending on which Ketron keyboard they came from.
If it was the sd1, I doubt the drums would sound anything like the original style.

I actually converted a couple of my SD1 styles to PSR format for PSR/sd2 combination. I did it thru a midi to style conversion, not EMC to keep the drums intact.. Wasn't really worth all the hassle.
The Psr1500 wasn't a terribly good controller. The styles did sound similar to the original but not exactly the same. Ran into problems with multiple tempo changes in some of the intro's, can't remember what else, It goes back a while.
Not sure if I bothered keeping them after I got the PA800.
I'm hoping my midi to style conversion, may work better with a PA800/SD2 combination.
Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mc:
[B]Also will it work for the s900. I have some of the converted ketron styles in the s900. The ketron styles played on the s900 but through the sd2 will they sound like the if they were being played on a ketron keyboard?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online