SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#222591 - 12/08/07 08:43 AM toes back in the water
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
in more ways than one..back in Miami since Nov 2 and back on SZ after 8-wk hiatus--thought i'd update now for any that may be interested. happy holidays to all.

finally decided on a way to update my credit w/g.kaye re sound system upgrade. u may recall i'm not convinced stereo live would mean much to me since i use only bass/drum accomp. and do a lot of vocals. so i went to Ash to
comp mono with my rig. i was using JBL eon10 on roller with a small behringer xenyx w/fx mixer on top. decent sound nothing more. sold eon and started using my
old GK 200MV double-6 vocal amp with a squier 12 under it.. much improved sound. squier added full bottom Gk lacked. took that rig to store to comp. remember that heavy is a no-no for me. 45 lb for any single sound unit, 33 for a kb is my limit.

first thing tried the CM-30. was impressed how such a tiny box could produce what it it did. it actually sounded clearer than my GK. but it did not handle bottom or level as well and was not as full, so not an option. tried Yam
Stagepas. pretty good, not good enough to convice me to switch. tried Hartke and Roland 12" kb amps. Roland more
power. Hartke nicer sound to me but neither a buy. then
I remembered Scott Yee liking EV so i tried the powered
sxA100. Man, that blew me away it sounded so sweet!
Didn't have a ton of power but probably enuf for most of my gigs..was 43 lbs so within limit..and i would put my
mixer on top to get needed 3 inputs and efx. would buy
just one.. EV sxA100 are $625 online..

so i call George Kaye but he's not an EV dlr..but lucky me he has 2 slightly used unpowered EV sx100's for $400. for
$200 more he convinces me new Behringer pmh518 pow
mixer is much stronger than old ones, very compact w/efx. so for same $ as 1 sxA100, i get 2 sx100, plus pow mixer--will get benefit of more volume, and spkr is 32 lbs, easier lift than the 43-lb A's. should get next week, hot to trot! thx Scotty for heads-up on EV. probably Mackies would be great too, but they are heavier by far.

as far as my Roland E60, i have forced myself to adapt to its terribly inadequte navigational shortcomings because
nothing else out there is 76 keys, great keybed, and is 28 lbs. the 28 and sleek design make it a breeze to lay across back seat and carry uncovered under one arm w/x-stand in other hand. nobody will ever convince me that it's not easier to make 3 trips to the suv (isnt walking supposed to be healthy?) rather than pack everything on a rollercart
where u have to have everything put in and out of cases.
cases add weight and inconvenience (of course i'm talking local gigs-case protection a must otherwise)

but i digress. the important thing is that i have thrived w/the E60 "less is more". i find i'm using so many fewer sounds than i used to. i have such an amazingly good piano sound now that i gravitate to it a lot. (email me if u want the parameters) love the elec pianos, the scat vocals are killer..i use a choral sound in 2nd upper to have some sustain lacking in scat. gtrs and organs and vibes not as much to my taste as in my old Korg i but getting there.
styles not as much to my taste either so now i totally am in bass/drum only mode..and loving it. am using the cover
feature for variety rather than canned styles..so much more creative. tap tempo still gives me palpitations..in spite of os upgrade for it, still not dependable as old korg, technics. sure theres no perfect kb, and E60 is proof LOL.

looking to record world's first ever jazz CD featuring the
Eb sopranino sax (and vocals) this winter. it has been my main sax for many years (w/alto) to my knowledge i'm the
only one using it for main ax. will provide my own trax on
the E60, and add my percusssionist on some trax. will start to prepare soon so not a lot of time for SZ..but will
be peekin in on y'all.

------------------
Miami Mo

#222592 - 12/08/07 01:01 PM Re: toes back in the water
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Mo, the EV SX100's + a Behringer powered mixer make a great set-[up. There sre none better than the EVs. Enjoy. As for the E60, I've come to accept that there isn't an arranger out there that can truly satisfy all our needs at any given time. Enjoy your self and have a Merry Christmas.

#222593 - 12/08/07 04:13 PM Re: toes back in the water
keysvocalssax Offline

thanks cassp, now i'm really getting psyched. George says these new Behringer models have corrected the fault of insufficient power they had until this new series. the pmh 518 is a compact rack-style 5-input that will be real easy to lay on top of EV and control. reason i had the credit was last spring i ordered the pmh1000, which had more inputs and features but
had to be fully cranked for even a medium size room. returned that and a few other things and have been trying to decide just what to get ever since..but now i know i'll be happy with the EV's and the Behringer if it will crank a lot more as George claims. glad i waited. never found taht quality sound
at that weight up to now.

------------------
Miami Mo

#222594 - 12/08/07 08:52 PM Re: toes back in the water
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Just the two EVs at that price were a steal. I have the Mackies and love them, but would give them up in a heartbeat for the EV SX100 or 200. I have looked at the Behringer PMH518 myself, but went the CM-30 route when the price was right. You should have some excellent reviews coming your way once your audience hears your new set-up.

#222595 - 12/09/07 04:54 AM Re: toes back in the water
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Mo, glad to see you're still "alive and Kickin' ". Not too many of us "ol' fart" jazz types left around here. Glad you found something, soundwise, that compliments your rig. Sounds like a great bargin on the EV's. I'm still looking for the perfect (stereo) speaker compliment for my Nord C1/Mackie 808S rig. That's my only consideration; what makes the C1 sound most like a B3/122.

Congrats on starting your CD. If you need some straight-ahead organ tracks on anything, let me know. I'd be happy to help if I can (piano, as well). Hang in there. Keep the 'good stuff' alive.

chas

#222596 - 12/09/07 08:35 AM Re: toes back in the water
keysvocalssax Offline

thanks for offer chas, i really need to make this CD serve 3 purposes: 1)showcase 'nino,
2)update my vocals from my first CD effort in 2000 which was decent but not adventurous.
(Brian Murphy did some B3 trax as well as
piano) 3)show that i can play keys, and use
sometrax w/Madafo on percussion as demo of our
live duo. hope u find stereo rig u r seeking.

------------------
Miami Mo

#222597 - 12/09/07 08:36 AM Re: toes back in the water
keysvocalssax Offline

thanks for offer chas, i really need to make this CD serve 3 purposes: 1)showcase 'nino,
2)update my vocals from my first CD effort in 2000 which was decent but not adventurous.
(Brian Murphy did some B3 trax as well as
piano) 3)show that i can play keys, and use
sometrax w/Madafo on percussion as demo of our
live duo. hope u find stereo rig u r seeking.

------------------
Miami Mo

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online