SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#115924 - 10/27/07 11:38 AM Question please for ex SD1 players and now Roland players
stirling boy Offline

Loc: Scotland
Hi there
I've noticed that there's quite a few SD1 players now switching over to the Roland camp recently,namely the E80 and the G70, my question is how do you find them compared to the SD1.
I'm a long term Ketron player and I had a good demo of an E80 today and quite liked it, although it looked and sounded worlds apart from an SD1 so any feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Sandy

#115925 - 11/05/07 12:12 PM Re: Question please for ex SD1 players and now Roland players
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hi, Sandy. I am an MS-60 player, with a Midjay, who recently purchased a G-70 (still in the box).

My decision, after playing Solton/Ketron for years, had to do with the age of the SD-1+ design, the new distributor, and what I believe is a questionable practice of direct sales...going around distribution, in a few instances, which is an absolute "no-no" in the retail world. Also, I have heard of reports of difficulty in securing timely tech support.

Just don't feel comfortable with the set-up. Others here, particularly some in the music business, have expressed the same concerns privately.

Love the equipment; just don't feel comfortable with the situation as a whole, particularly from such a small foreign manufacturer. I recently spent $5,000 plus on other brands due to these concerns. Otherwise, would really have preferred Ketron, and will re-visit the situation when the Audyia is available.

Just my opinion...

Russ

#115926 - 11/06/07 05:47 PM Re: Question please for ex SD1 players and now Roland players
stirling boy Offline

Hi Russ
Would be interested to find out how you integrated the Midjay into your setup.
Did you sequence everything first or midi it up to your MS60, and keep me posted how you like the G70
Cheers
Sandy

#115927 - 11/07/07 06:51 AM Re: Question please for ex SD1 players and now Roland players
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Sandy, I just took the Midjay out of the box this week-end. Been on a film production deadline. Bought the Midjay, foot controller and controller from a don Mason. Getting into it this week-end. I'll let you know. You'll probably notice an obnoxious, desperate call for HELP!

Russ

#115928 - 11/07/07 07:43 PM Re: Question please for ex SD1 players and now Roland players
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Sandy,

I'm still getting to know the g70. I still have my SD-1. I'm starting to like the g70 a lot better than at first. I think the sound is there on the g70 but I'm going to have to do a lot of tweaking. I still haven't found some styles for some songs that are as good as the SD-1. The harmonizer is very very good on the g70. So are the organs. Much better IMHO than the sd-1. I also like the piano better on the g70. Some things are very odd on the g70. The dixie and charlston styles are included in the 50's and 60's catagory.

When I got my SD-1 I couldn't wait to spend every spare minute on it. I don't feel that eager to play the G70 yet. I also feel that I need to get with other G70 owners to get their eq and compressor settings and that sort of stuff.

It is growing on me though.

Tom

Tom

#115929 - 11/08/07 07:12 AM Re: Question please for ex SD1 players and now Roland players
stirling boy Offline

Hi Tom
I know exactly what you mean regarding the styles on the SD1. When i first tried it i instantly found good usable songs and dances for the SD1 styles, i didn't find that with the E80 i tried but I'm sure there in there.

However, I'm starting to find that there is a lot more third party styles available from Roland and others for particular songs that will go a long way to help.
Good luck with your G70 and keep me posted
Cheers
Sandy

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online