SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#105306 - 07/12/07 06:27 AM Little excitement on the S900? why?
Dnj Offline

I haven't seen the big hoopla associated with a new release as in the past with most new KB's on the forums with the S900....
could it be because it sandwiched in between the 3k & Tyros 2 leaving not much in the way of new features & sounds /styles?
I always wondered what was the reasoning for even putting out the S-Line? Where does it fall in in the "NEEDS" category? Yes it fills in the "I wish I had a Tyros2 but cant afford one" scenario.....but I would have liked to see a bit more in the way of some more different, groundbreaking, innovative, user wants, "76 Keys", 2 Mic inputs, Tilt Screen, etc, & other needs features this time around......
whats your take on this?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-12-2007).]

#105307 - 07/12/07 07:04 AM Re: Little excitement on the S900? why?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Had the S-series had a 76-key board I might have been interested. I sold my PSR2000 and considered a 3k, but opted for the behemoth G70 becuase of the features and reduced price. Yes, the 3k and S900 are much cheaper, but a 76-key board is worth so much, especially once you use one. The S900 just hasn't caught my interest; a 3k might still interest me more.

#105308 - 07/12/07 08:29 AM Re: Little excitement on the S900? why?
Dnj Offline

Hi Cassp....yes 76 keys is SO comforting, I dont know what Yamaha's reluctance is unless they want to force people to go to their other lines...
Im glad I'm back to using one also.

stay well

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-12-2007).]

#105309 - 07/12/07 10:34 AM Re: Little excitement on the S900? why?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Yamaha keeps pointing to the failure of the 9000Pro..

as if the fact it had 76 keys is why it didn't sell..
or maybe they felt that it put the unit out of reach
price-wise, and they would have been better off
making the same thing in 61 at a lower price?

why can't they get over that? they make several
other 76-key models, but keep saying that after
the 9000Pro they won't make a 76-key arranger again..
they are somehow convinced that a lot of entry-level
buyers opt for 76 keys, but not more advanced users.

------------------
Miami Mo

#105310 - 07/12/07 11:53 AM Re: Little excitement on the S900? why?
Dnj Offline

Lets face it Yamaha Arrangers are not geared toward the pro market even though we do use them with workarounds & restrictions to the best way we can...why can Korg, Ketron & Roland all make a non plastic 76 key arrangers, but not Yamaha?

#105311 - 07/12/07 12:18 PM Re: Little excitement on the S900? why?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Because Yamaha is using their plastic supply for other items they manufacture..like plastics parts on Yamaha dirt bikes..

They don't make the Corporate dollars on Pro musicians...just not a large enough market...Keyboard wise, I am sure the Yamaha bucks come from the Home pianos...and dealers make a better chunk on the home piano stuff..

PSR's are without a doubt the home player market....and sorry to say..so are the Tyros models[no reflection on the instrument]..Home players [ like seniors, that can afford this product]..
And the S series is just another generation of midrange home units[PSR's with face lifts]..

The Pro 9000 was an attemt to grab the working Pro market...but I think it suffered because people were thinking , simulation of the PSR lines at the time..Same way Casio suffered sales with the MZ2000[ may have been superior to many other models from the competition , back then]..

I think Roland fair-ed better with the G800 and G1000 because most working pros can see the benefits because of the previous models like the E86...They were not in the class of the PSR's..

I think it is a sure bet that Yamaha will come out with a 76 key model again..They see the respect Korg, Ketron and Roland received with the quality 76 key models...

I think it is the only way Yamaha can compete in the pro market..

The popularity of arrangers is on the increase here in the USA, and the only way it will continue it's growth is the high end quality models have to benefit working musicians...without sacrificing quality...

Look to see Yamaha come through...that Pro9000 bad taste should be gone by now...They can smell the money..

I also think Yamaha is hurting themselves with cheap workstations...Roland too...People will soon forget that they also have top notch workstations and will start judging the Big guys by the junk..[quality wise]..

I am starting to sound like Diki...somebody please,,,,tell me to shut up...Then go to Diki's post and tell him to shut up too..

#105312 - 07/12/07 01:01 PM Re: Little excitement on the S900? why?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Lets face it Yamaha Arrangers are not geared toward the pro market even though we do use them with workarounds & restrictions to the best way we can...why can Korg, Ketron & Roland all make a non plastic 76 key arrangers, but not Yamaha?

I was surprised when I discovered this wonderful forum, that so many pros were out using these yamahas on the job. (I had a psr 2000 that had just come out and it was all the rage. I paid 975 brand new. I see they still go for 700 bucks on ebay.)
For home use and price point I can't think of better boards than Yamaha as far as vocal harmony and effects, complete package. But I never thought of them as pro models. I was even disappointed at quality of the Tyros models.

#105313 - 07/12/07 01:03 PM Re: Little excitement on the S900? why?
zuki Offline

Uh Oh - The Yammy bashers are out! To say Yamaha arrangers are not for the pro market, is truly an eroneous statement

Donny, once upon a time, you were in love with the 3K for live use?

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#105314 - 07/12/07 01:09 PM Re: Little excitement on the S900? why?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

I am starting to sound like Diki...somebody please,,,,tell me to shut up...Then go to Diki's post and tell him to shut up too..

#105315 - 07/12/07 04:33 PM Re: Little excitement on the S900? why?
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
this topic is very interesting about Yamaha producing Toyish keyboards...

Now that i have a Motif XS, i look at it and think it has come from a complete different company... it just makes a Tyros 2 or a PSR look and feel like a toy.

cant explain it, you just have to play one and straight away u realise the difference. it just looks and feels quality all over...

I still love the Tyros 2 and the PSRs. always have. but like i said, this Motif is just something different. and YES options for 76 and 88 keys!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online