SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#97648 - 07/14/07 03:53 PM MIDI Confusion
mobius121 Offline

Ok so I bought a keyboard to mess around with today for 10 bucks until I get the mm6. Its a yamaha PSR 41 and the only plugins are MIDI. Can I record music and save it as an mp3 using the midi cable or a certain one? I usually use audacity. Also with the yamaha mm6 would i be able to record music as mp3? Would adacity work with that one too?

#97649 - 07/14/07 06:21 PM Re: MIDI Confusion
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
MIDI = musical instrument digital interface. Any keyboard with midi in/out will send at least midi on/off messages to a sequencer that will save it as a midi file. It can then be edited into more or other sounds. If you have a decent soundcard and the right sequencer you may be able to convert a midi file into an mp3 with little difficulty. Otherwise you might have to find a midi-to-mp3 conversion program; there are a few freebies out there if you look around. You could also play the midi file thru your soundcard and record it as a wav or mp3. It works the same for all midi instruments. the only differences might be polyphony, voices, velocity touch, etc.

Does the PSR41 have a headphone out? You might be able to get a useable signal thru that and go thru your Audacity.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 07-14-2007).]

#97650 - 07/14/07 08:46 PM Re: MIDI Confusion
mobius121 Offline

It has a headphone area but what do I plug in there?

#97651 - 07/15/07 12:04 PM Re: MIDI Confusion
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
If the PSR41 is the one for which this link points to the manual: http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/port/PSR41E.PDF

then there are two "Aux Out" sockets at the back of your keyboard. I can't tell whether these are 1/4 inch (6.5mm) jack sockets or phono sockets; either way you should be able to get a cable to take these connectors at one end and convert to a stereo 3.5mm jack at the other; you can plug the 3.5mm jack into the "Line in" of your computer and then record that to a wave file using Audacity (although you may have to fiddle with the PC mixer to get "Line In" to be routed to the Record channel of the sound card first).

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online