SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#136921 - 09/29/06 08:28 AM Are written word forums declining?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Seems to me that forums I visit regularly, the traffic has decreased in the past year. The question could be raised "Have hours online decreased?" Not for me. I've been online for many years but I got DSL a couple of years ago, so, I am online more than ever. I have been going to the same forums for years; do I post less? I guess I do now that I think about it. But I still post quite a bit.

More sites are out there to choose from. One could also propose that forums, where the written word by posters is the draw, simply ran their course. Their heyday is over.

I wonder what's going on.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#136922 - 09/29/06 08:42 AM Re: Are written word forums declining?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Bill, not at all..when all the dynamic personalities start posting again..there will be a new "Heyday"..

#136923 - 09/29/06 09:56 AM Re: Are written word forums declining?
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
It's also driven by product. For example, not much to talk about in the Arranger forum with no new arrangers. The Roland releases are incremental so they didn't raise a lot of excitement.

So the forums get reduced to some questions of how-to, which speakers, do-you-have-a-style for ..., and so on.

#136924 - 09/29/06 01:28 PM Re: Are written word forums declining?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, I wouldn't say the new Rolands didn't raise any excitement But unfortunately, it was mostly in the form of Yammie lovers trashing them and Roland lovers defending them..........!

I keep trying to start threads about how we can discuss fundamental improvements in arranger usage and technology (Chord sequencers, better fill control, etc.), but most seem to be more concerned whether the investment in their current arranger was justified, and usually, the only way they feel better about it is by denigrating others' choices.

These things are tools to make music with, not our children, and as such they should be able to be criticized in a non-partisan mode. If we can't work out a way to improve them, why should the big manufacturers try any harder.

We may be all relegated to incremental improvements in our arrangers, if we can't come up with ways that WE would like them improved, but getting widespread discussion on them seems like pulling teeth. I guess it's just easier to be destructive than constructive........

#136925 - 09/29/06 09:11 PM Re: Are written word forums declining?
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Quote:
For example, not much to talk about in the Arranger forum with no new arrangers.

My respects to such opinion,

but,

am I to assume that you have already uncovered al the things & tricks in your keyboard (T2, G70 or whatever) in less than a year?

If so, please record something and show to us what you've achieved. What matters to me is what music arrangement you can create using this brand new technology and how it compares soundwise to the music arrangement other members and I create.

Curious fact is that Pose mistook my old DGX-305 for a Tyros 1 (Pose, I feel delighted).

So, actually, there is plenty to say and discuss.

Regards,
George

#136926 - 09/29/06 09:33 PM Re: Are written word forums declining?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Written forums won't be displaced by video and audio conferencing simply because participants around the world can never all be present at the same time. Written forums allow people to interact despite the fact that they read postings at different times. While video and audio conferencing is very cool they only work when everyone that wants to be involved are online at the same time.

A combination of written, video and audio comunication is the best solution. They all have their own advantages.

#136927 - 09/29/06 11:08 PM Re: Are written word forums declining?
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Way to go, Nigel - couldn't have said it better.
cheers

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#136928 - 09/30/06 05:53 AM Re: Are written word forums declining?
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Quote:
Originally posted by George V:

Curious fact is that Pose mistook my old DGX-305 for a Tyros 1 (Pose, I feel delighted).

So, actually, there is plenty to say and discuss.

Regards,
George[/B]

George: Just goes to show what a talented person as your self can do on any Keyboard

Cheers.......pose

#136929 - 09/30/06 06:09 AM Re: Are written word forums declining?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I didn't say anything at all about video. The thread has nothing to do with that other than the fact that it's another type of forum. But Myspace and others like it, social networking sites, have exploded. They have blogs on those sites but it's not the main draw.

I was not talking about this site in particular but written word forums, in general. Like, has anyone noticed a decline overall. I have. Could be lots of things.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#136930 - 09/30/06 08:34 AM Re: Are written word forums declining?
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Quote:
Originally posted by loungelyzard:
George: Just goes to show what a talented person as your self can do on any Keyboard

Cheers.......pose

Pose,

Many thanks.

I read my previous post once again and feel it is incomplete. Here is an example:

There is a new guy on the forum who wasn't able to read sheet music 20 months ago. He showed us what he had achieved after 20 months of hard work in this thread

By no means this guys utilises the full power of the Tyros 2 but his music sounds extremely good.

I mean, in moments when there is no new stuff or roumors of new stuff to chat about we can showcase our keyboards.

Or just go off topic.

Regards,
George

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online