SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#158695 - 08/12/06 10:28 PM Tweaking Tyros2 to deliver more 'in your face' PUNCH !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
This involves making Tyros2 adjustments in the following areas:

1) Master & Part EQ Settings
2) Master Compressor Settings
3) Volume & Efx Levels of:
A. Individual Style Parts
B. Individual Panel Voices

Disappointingly, on all Yamaha arranger keyboards, when selecting voices directly from the kb's Preset Voice (physical) BUTTONS, their efx level typically lacks reverb, resulting in a lifeless sound. On the other hand, selecting the style's associated OTS (1-4) voices yield a much better efx level, though even these (to my ears) lack enough volume & efx presense to provide that live in a club sounding punch. For this reason, I'll share with you the Tyros2 settings I use to obtain a punchier live ambience sound. These are the settings I use when I go thru my Tyros TRS-MS02 Sub-woofer + Bose 161 satellite speakers:

Master EQ Settings: Mixing Console > EQ Tab
EQ1 : Q=.7, f=80Hz, gain=+4dB
EQ2 : Q=.7, f=500Hz, gain=0dB
EQ3 : Q=.7, f=1.0kHz, gain=-+3dB
EQ4 : Q=.7, f=4.0kHz, gain=+4dB
EQ5 : Q=.7, f=8.0kHz, gain=+5dB
Name & Save the above settings to one of two: "USER" Master EQ settings

Master Compressor Settings: Mixing Console > Compressor Tab
Type: Punch
Basic Type: Full Bit
Threshold Offset: +10
Gain Offset Low: -2
Gain Offset Mid: -2
Gain Offset High: -5
Name & Save above settings to one of five: "USER Compressor" Settings

In addition, when playing in auto accompainment mode:

1) Raise the 'volume level' of the style's Drum parts to around: 100 to 127
2) Increase the 'volume level' of the bass & other auto accompaiment parts as required for added presence.
3) Increase the EFX level (reverb) of style & panel parts to between 50-60. No reverb should be added to bass part.
4) Increase chorus and/or dsp efx levels of style & panel parts if desired.
5) Save above settings to individual Reg (1-8) for quick style/panel part setting recall.

Warning: The above settings are the settings I use with my Yamaha TRS-MS02 subwoofer + Bose 161 speakers, so only intended as a general settings guide to start from when tweaking for your specific speaker ouput setup. Your mileage may vary depending on your PA speaker setup and room size venue.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to discovering what above settings other Tyros2 owners here are using with their Tyros2 keyboard and respective speakers.

Scott

#158696 - 08/13/06 01:32 AM Re: Tweaking Tyros2 to deliver more 'in your face' PUNCH !
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott, your settings sound great indeed!

I would like to add a few words more of comment, speaking not of "punch" but of better and authentic live feel.
What I do, to achieve this, is to mute all those style tracks that sound canned and boring: a typical example is the acoustic piano playing chords in the same repetitive way on Swing styles. We all know that no real pianist would play chords in the same way, on the same beats and with the same accents throughout a whole song! So, my suggestion is: try to rely only on a few tracks, like drums, bass and whatever else sounds authentic to you, and add rhytm sounds like piano, electric piano or guitar with your left hand. We know already that some of us mute also the bass track and play the bass line with the left hand; if you are lucky enough to sing well, you could then play the chords with your right hand, otherwise you have to make a choice...
Also, in styles like Bossa Nova, mute those darn strings that play in the background (they are so corny!) and also those flutes... (yuk!)

These are just a few examples or suggestions: your individual taste should of course be your guide.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 08-13-2006).]

#158697 - 08/13/06 04:48 AM Re: Tweaking Tyros2 to deliver more 'in your face' PUNCH !
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Scott.
I've filled up all of the user spaces for EQ and compressor settings. I find that different genre of songs require different settings so it's really easy just to call up what you need or simply save it into a registration. Editing on the T2 is really simple and effective.

#158698 - 08/13/06 04:53 AM Re: Tweaking Tyros2 to deliver more 'in your face' PUNCH !
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
. double post sorry

[This message has been edited by Craig_UK (edited 08-13-2006).]

#158699 - 08/13/06 05:36 AM Re: Tweaking Tyros2 to deliver more 'in your face' PUNCH !
Dnj Offline

Scott maybe you an post a song With & Without your T2 "PUNCHY" Eq settings to give us an A/B perspective as to the differences of each EQ setup.

#158700 - 08/13/06 05:41 AM Re: Tweaking Tyros2 to deliver more 'in your face' PUNCH !
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Scott:
Thanks for posting your settings, will be very helpful to all us ty2 owners......pose

Would have been nice if Yamaha had made a suggested user setup for eq and gone thru the presets and tweaked them up. Would have made a even bigger impact on potential buyer and users.......?

#158701 - 08/13/06 05:45 AM Re: Tweaking Tyros2 to deliver more 'in your face' PUNCH !
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thank you, Scott...these will be very useful.

Ian the Grateful

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online