SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#92009 - 06/15/06 02:49 AM arranger beyboard use in US vs other parts of the world
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
i mean arranger keyboard(damn i can't edit the title once posted)

this is what i believe.
diff b/t US and EU/mid east/asia is use of arranger KBs.in US it's more live band(zillions bands)taking the gigs where in other parts of the world arrangers/seq OMB rules the clubs.
social mobility also plays a role.in US most have cars(cheap cars and cheap gas compared to any parts of the world-yes still cheap)so a drummer carrying his set/guitarist with his 1x12,vocalist with PA etc, is not as big deal compared to outside USA (with only minor exception of west and north EU).

KB players role in US(piano,EP,organ and some strings)because in a live band you can find qualified reed or horn player with quality instument.since jazz/blues are our music.
not the case in other parts of the world.Kb player MUST emulate sax,trumpet etc..

Also if you look at pro KB market you can also see the diff.Band based US sells more modern analog KB compared to workstaion ROMpler in other parts of the world.

still I believe all big retailers should carry(GC,sam ash)high end pro arrangers regardless of their sales,because people do buy arrangers in US and it's a growing market.

arranger user age is also different.in EU,asia,mid east arranger KB players are younger (in 20')(d/t market in US they in a band)in US it's older(most are retired)(also older crowd for nursing,retired home with 60s, 50's standards)(where in other countries new radio hit will be sequenced and immediately play in club scence-pop ,dance songs).

any opinions?

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 06-15-2006).]

#92010 - 06/15/06 06:46 AM Re: arranger beyboard use in US vs other parts of the world
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Interesting observations. I think you're correct too. Arrangers are more popular over seas. They don't seem to have the negative stereotype that has been associated with them for years here in the US.

You're also right that it's typically the older crowd that uses them and performs with them here in the US as well. That's clearly because arrangers do date (at least here in the US) aren't designed for the modern music scene. They have always been (with the exception of the Yamaha DJX, and Roland EG-101) designed for traditional styles (polkas, waltz, jazz, ballroom, and so on).

I agree that stores should carry the full line. Here in the US the keyboardists options for in store purchases of (pro keyboards) is shrinking and FAST! Stores aren't carrying them, and the ones that are carry a few won't hire anything other than guitar players, and drummers.... So no one can demo them or explain anything to the customer.

More and more I find that when you walk into a music store and ask for a (pro-keyboard) they say "we don't carry them, but can order you one." Here in the US our ability to actually see and play the keyboard before buying is fading away.., and as others have stated it's not that way over seas.

I really wish that would change. You can't help but be upset about it. Many music stores are phasing us out all together. They're catering to everything else, and when you ask for a keyboard section it's like you just cursed at them.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#92011 - 06/15/06 01:31 PM Re: arranger beyboard use in US vs other parts of the world
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Squeak when I turned over my last music store[2000], to my nephews[one a bass player , the other a drummer..The first thing they did is dropped off $20,000 keyboard stock at my house..They said they couldn't sell keyboards in our area..This was a turnkey deal I gave them..I left a stocked store with no money up front...
My point being...a frame of mind[afraid to handle keyboards , because a lack of know how]..This is very common in the MI stores..

BTW, any idea how much I lost on this adventure, including my keyboard stock without an outlet to move them..

#92012 - 06/16/06 06:43 AM Re: arranger beyboard use in US vs other parts of the world
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Squeak when I turned over my last music store[2000], to my nephews[one a bass player , the other a drummer..The first thing they did is dropped off $20,000 keyboard stock at my house..They said they couldn't sell keyboards in our area..This was a turnkey deal I gave them..I left a stocked store with no money up front...
My point being...a frame of mind[afraid to handle keyboards , because a lack of know how]..This is very common in the MI stores..

BTW, any idea how much I lost on this adventure, including my keyboard stock without an outlet to move them..

how many arrangers?

#92013 - 06/16/06 07:16 AM Re: arranger beyboard use in US vs other parts of the world
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
60% of my stock was arrangers..

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online