SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#178650 - 03/25/06 05:39 AM Is anyone gigging with the PA1X on this forum
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Wow! if the answer is yes you must be a weight lifter too. I can't imagine playing 5 or more times a week and lugging this 48 lb monster around. I played it a bit 3 years ago at the music store, and it is a great swinging board. But I didn't try to pick it upat that time.

I just found out what it weighs. That would be harder than brickwork. I can't help think that that is why so many more seem to play Yahama that gig a lot.

Korg mustn't realize that many people are not going to want to haul this this around no matter how great the board is. I thought my Korgi30 was heavy and on the bath scale it comes in at a mere 32 lbs.
WOW!!! Again.

#178651 - 03/25/06 06:15 AM Re: Is anyone gigging with the PA1X on this forum
Dnj Offline

people will lug their amps/pa that weigh 50+ but not a 35/50lb KB? Hmmmmmmmmm?

#178652 - 03/25/06 06:44 AM Re: Is anyone gigging with the PA1X on this forum
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I did gig with the PA1xpro, and I loved it. the sliders, the vocalizer. the layout.

But these things I hated.

1- the PA1xpro went for that live band sound, like a trio, which at times were great, but other times I found myself adding a string pad to fill, I know that seems to kill the idea of hearing each instrument instead of a wall of sound but i needed to do that allot. maybe because my playing didn't help/

2- selecting sounds other than the 4 programmed for a style seemed to have extra steps that made live play a little slow

3- midi file playback was awful, you really needed to re-program the program changes to different instruments, but once you did, it did come alive, I would say Roland/KEtron then Yamaha/Korg

4- touch screen wasn't as good as the G70. the G70 was the perfect touch screen, with beep and a quick response. the target just seemed easier to hit with the G70

all in all if you don't mind the set up and programming time to make the PA1xpro yours, don't get it, but if you have the time and the effort, it was one of the nicest sounding arrangers I've owned

#178653 - 03/25/06 10:21 AM Re: Is anyone gigging with the PA1X on this forum
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I've gigged with a Yamaha Motif ES 88 at 65lbs for keyboard and 12 lbs additional with case.

Needless to say, I sold the beast.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#178654 - 03/25/06 11:10 AM Re: Is anyone gigging with the PA1X on this forum
brickboo Offline

I guess I'm not doing too badly. The i30 at 32lbs. The Lil green monster at 35lbs for retirement centers.

The park gig I do every other Saturday from June to November I have the 35 lbs Mackie 808s and a pair of Peavey TLS 15” at about 37 or so lbs.

Frank I can change any programs (sounds) for any arrangement style whatever that I want on the i30 and just save it as a keyboard set with the touch of a button. I have maybe 6 or so favorites that I remember and I just push #11,#12 or whatever program set I want for that tune. Are you saying it’s more complicating then this to do with the Pa1X? This would be awful.

#178655 - 03/25/06 01:35 PM Re: Is anyone gigging with the PA1X on this forum
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Well. each style has 4 one touch settings which are a combo of 3 right hand sounds and 1 left hand sound. Also memory for vocal effects and what have you.

But let's say I'm playing a waltz or polka and I want a sound that is not in one of my one touch settings of 4. I then need to hit perfomance or solo sounds then select the sound I want, there are 2 steps involved that can and will take up some valuable time.

I think the Ketron was the best at this since it would remember the last sound you used and always pick that one when you went to the instrument bank

#178656 - 03/25/06 01:52 PM Re: Is anyone gigging with the PA1X on this forum
Dnj Offline

Why cant these manufactureres just put 20 preset sound bank buttons on the right side of these units for easy favorite sound live access......?

#178657 - 03/25/06 08:27 PM Re: Is anyone gigging with the PA1X on this forum
brickboo Offline

Frank,
On the i30 I can take any sounds for lower, sub and main and set them to a number called a keyboard set on the i30. Like number 11. I can hit 11 and those sounds will play on any style, or any of the 4 variations. And there are a hundred sets I can set like this.
I can even push a lock keyboard set and change styles or variations and still have the sounds of set 11 playing.
As a matter of fact for 60 percent of the stuff I do I lock keyboard set 11 which is basically sub jazz guitar, main piano and it is locked in full keyboard mode where the whole keyboard is either full piano or jazz guitar with the push of one button.

I thought you could do this with any keyboard. Particularly any Korg. I guess I'm not understanding you.

I'm going to ask on the Korg PA1X forum if it can be set to do this like the i30.

Like I said, maybe I don't understand what you're saying.

I noticed on the Tyros each time you change the variation, different instruments become the right hand part. I didn't like that. If I'm improvising a jazz guitar solo and I'm in a jazz guitar grove and then I change the variation for more kick, I don't want the guitar to change to a trumpet. I may not be in the Trumpet mood. Ha! Ha!

All of us are different. None of you guys play like me and I don't play like you guys. So who's right and who's wrong? Nobody!

#178658 - 03/26/06 08:56 AM Re: Is anyone gigging with the PA1X on this forum
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
Why can,t they make the heavy keyboards in 2 parts,the keyboard, and all of the guts in a seperate box that you can connect the 2 together,and so no bad backs.

[This message has been edited by nardoni2002 (edited 03-27-2006).]

#178659 - 03/27/06 05:07 AM Re: Is anyone gigging with the PA1X on this forum
Booby Offline

Hi,

ok I bought Pa1X Pro just because of its sturdy construction and now .... I've to carry it around.

At the end also G70 is very heavy, unlike Tyros that anyway come in plastic (not a toy but still plastic).

As always there is a compromise to accept.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online