SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#95170 - 02/08/06 03:06 PM Can't save regs on the ty2??
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Can't get the registry started on the tyros2!

I assuming its me thats just not getting it! and not something wrong with the ty2, since everything else works terrific.

It will take the first 8 just fine, but can't get anymore, it just overwrites the 1st 8. I've read all references to the regs in the manual several times and been given instructions by some of the experts, and I assume I'm the only dummy thats having problems with this.

How is this done?

I've created a folder and can get the first line of 8 in it and by pressing view, it comes to pg1 and displays all eight. thats as far as I can get it to go. I've deleted everything and started anew, done system resets, switched from storing in user over to harddrive, same results, get a folder with the first 8 and that seems to be it. I've tried with one folder, with several folders, and folder inside of a folder. The bank +/- won't move up or down. Pressing both together takes me to the page where stored okay.

Need a kind soul with a Idea of what I'm doing wrong. I've replaced the settings set/up saved in reg 1/1 so many times I have them memorized. Have surfed thru several forums, but not found anything of help.

Maybe someone can give me a step by step of from scratch to 3/4 banks of registry or zip me their first 4 with loading instructions?? so I can see how its done??

I'm guessing I'm missing something probably simple??

Thanks....pose

#95171 - 02/08/06 03:18 PM Re: Can't save regs on the ty2??
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Pose,
You are just missing one step.
After you create your first 8 registrations, you then have to press the J button to get to the "Save As" screen and save the entire bank of 8 under the name of your choice. Some players devote an entire bank of 8 to one song...others create registrations in a single genre and name it accordingly.
Eddie

#95172 - 02/08/06 03:31 PM Re: Can't save regs on the ty2??
loungelyzard Offline

Eddie:
I'm nearly sure I've done that, but will play around with it some and see if thats the area i'm not making it thru.....thanks ....pose

#95173 - 02/08/06 03:43 PM Re: Can't save regs on the ty2??
loungelyzard Offline

Eddie:

Worked!!!!!!!!! I save one to bank2.

I was saving but I guess I was doing it at the wrong time.

Now I got to figure which way I want to save things, I just saved to the HD, not sure if thats better than the user drive.
which are you using....Thanks Buddy.....Pose

#95174 - 02/08/06 04:13 PM Re: Can't save regs on the ty2??
btweengigs Offline

Pose...
I play a 3K and use the USB thumbdrive...but suspect you would be well advised to save everything on the HD. If the T2 is similar to the 3K in respect to the User Drive, storage on User Drive will be limited.

As to figuring out the best way to set up your reg files, there are several "best" ways depending on who you talk to. I prefer assigning an entire bank to one song (although I hardly ever use all 8 regs within the bank).

I divided the alphabet by 10 and created a folder for each portion of the alphabet, saving each song I have created a registration for, by name, in the respective folder.

What I like about the way I do it is each registration I create can be customized from here to heaven and back as well as accessed very quickly on a job.

Others here utilize the Music Finder Directory in combination with registrations. There's a ton of ways to do it.

Eddie

#95175 - 02/09/06 06:59 AM Re: Can't save regs on the ty2??
loungelyzard Offline

Eddie:
I think I will go with the HD and back up via the memory stick to my computer.

I think I'll just put all regs in about 6 catagories, plus make 3 gig list files for different types of venue's using the best songs from the 6 cats..?

MFD I'll pull the best ones to favs in that file, and copy some to the gig lists.

Trying to make this as easy as I can for me to remember, plus not dead time between songs.

Thank You very much for your help, Which got me to thinking and hopefully, Get me going on the correct path. I'm still hung up on the ol way of posting regs on the 9000's, was easy to get them in, but a mess to try and change things around..... ..pose

#95176 - 02/09/06 08:38 AM Re: Can't save regs on the ty2??
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Pose,

Using both the registrations and MFD, you can pretty much eliminate any and all dead time between songs. They are amazing tools and OMB entertainers that have not explored the possibilities have overlooked two of Yamaha's best features.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#95177 - 02/09/06 09:17 AM Re: Can't save regs on the ty2??
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I concur with Gar. I utilize MusicFinder to store, organize, and call up my entire performance repetoire collection. I created 'from the ground up' my own individually unique MusicFinder database of only the songs (600+) I will ever conceivably perform, assigning styles chosen by me, not necesarrily the one's Yamaha assigned in the T2's Preset MusicFinder database file. In fact, I load several different custom MusicFinder Database files aimed for specific performance venues. All this said however, MusicFinder currently has several severe limitations, mainly:

1) Only able to link to "Preset" & "User Memory" styles

2) Unable to save transpose (+/-) setting

3) 4 OTS settings vs multiple banks of 8 (REG Memory)

4) plus countless other setting parameters only storeable in REG Memory

Registrations provide the most storage power. The PROBLEM with Registrations though, is it is far more difficult to organize,navigate, search, and call songs up compared to song search & retrival via MusicFinder.

The idea solution would be to INTEGRATE Registration Bank Files into MusicFinder. I view 'MUSIC FINDER" as becoming the CENTRAL place to organize, navigate, search, and automatically call up EVERYTHING (voices, styles, registrations, etc) needed for a given song.

For Yamaha to accomplish this, this would require adding a new field in the MusicFinder Database to AUTOMATICALLY 'call up' any given Registration Bank File stored in Tyros2, of which in turn would call up any given STYLE stored in Tyros2 as well, This means not only PRESET and USER Memory styles, but styles stored on the Tyros HD and/or USB Memory stick as well. In addition, or as an alternative, Yamaha would need to substantially increase "USER MEMORY" storage capacity: from the currently meager 3.2mb, to 32mb, or better yet: 64mb. - Scott

#95178 - 02/09/06 02:17 PM Re: Can't save regs on the ty2??
btweengigs Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Registrations provide the most storage power. The PROBLEM with Registrations though, is it is far more difficult to organize,navigate, search, and call songs up compared to song search & retrival via MusicFinder.

Scott,
Gotta, respectfully, point out that I have found the MFD to be far more difficult to navigate than my registrations.

I gave the MFD a shot and even compiled a Favorites list to minimize scrolling. But, trying to scroll while playing required more dexterity than I could muster. The song title font is also much smaller than the font used for registrations.

In addition to the downsides of the MFD you posted above, pedal assignments became a huge issue for me. Using two pedals and assigning specific functions which vary from song to song is not something that can be saved in the MFD.

I am glad that you, Gary and others have found the MFD to be so beneficial...but for me, the use of registrations exclusively has worked the best.

Having said all that, I would still ecourage Pose and other new owners to experiment so they can settle on what works best for them.

Eddie

#95179 - 02/09/06 02:53 PM Re: Can't save regs on the ty2??
loungelyzard Offline

Hi Guys:
Been devoting full time to try and get this going, got a call from Gary (mr. wiz) he took me thru it button by button and I think I've got the basics now, have 5 banks set up and just a matter of putting in hours of work. Gary has a super system worked out he uses both MFD and regs running together, can't exactly tell you how it works but its fast,no down time and seems easy to find everything you want and can change everything around to suit. He'll have to explain that. something like getting what you want set up on the main screen, all editing and changes made, enters it into the mfd, then memory to regs, gives you access from either, or something of that nature.

Seems ther's a bunch of ways to set up playlists, and guessing I'll be moving things around and hopefully settling down to whats the easiest for me.

Big thanks to each of you for the help, If I was a georgous Blonde I'd give you a call, but since I'm definately not, you're only gonna get a big Thanks, and a hand shake if we ever get to meet...

Pose

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online