SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#139195 - 12/29/05 09:55 AM Why they invented arrangers
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Look at the performer's credits on the link below. Esh said he got Paul Anka's new cd. I've never bought a Paul Anka record but that sounds interesting.

Anyway, look at how many people played on this album.

Paul Anka

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#139196 - 12/29/05 10:25 AM Re: Why they invented arrangers
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:

Anyway, look at how many people played on this album.

Paul Anka

Wow, and we complain about having to spring for a couple of six packs to get a couple of buddies to lay down a few tracks for us....it's a whole different world out there.

chas

#139197 - 12/29/05 10:41 AM Re: Why they invented arrangers
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Well, at least they all got credit for it ...
t.

#139198 - 12/29/05 11:06 AM Re: Why they invented arrangers
Dnj Offline

I thought that was Anka's worst album project to date imo trying to cash in on the American song book craze.
But he used a full orchestra so there is no surprise about all the musicians credits, at least he's putting people to work.

#139199 - 12/29/05 11:11 AM Re: Why they invented arrangers
MrEd Offline

NO ACCORDION?

That automatically gives the album a rating!

#139200 - 12/29/05 11:48 AM Re: Why they invented arrangers
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Paul Anka ... I once heard an outtake of him that was on the RFNY / WHOT ( pirate radio ) site, chastising members of his band for their appearance and their practice habits, among other things. Saying he was a bit rough on them doesn't quite do it justice. I've worked in quite a few construction jobs over the years, and never heard so much colorful language .. LOL

I'm pretty sure it was legit too, and if so, all I can say is I'm kinda glad I don't have to work for him to earn a liiving.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 12-29-2005).]

#139201 - 12/29/05 04:11 PM Re: Why they invented arrangers
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
that really doesn't surprise me ... these people are PERFECTIONISTS and many of the top stars are VERY demanding.... that's why their shows are so TIGHT.... legend has it that Sinatra tossed a horn player from a recording session for saying something to the guy next to him while Ol' Blue Eyes was going over something with the conductor ... and with Frank, even the 'ad-libs' were rehearsed ... I know because at a show at the Providence Civic Center a number of years ago, I was sitting close enough to read the teleprompter...
t.

#139202 - 12/29/05 06:38 PM Re: Why they invented arrangers
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
I especially like how this thread is titled, and the duality of digital arrangers and real arrangers.

If you read the linear notes you'll see that a group of former associates approached Paul Anka with the "Rock Swings" idea, which was a departure for him because he usually does his own music. The idea grew and as a team they became excited over finding quality material.

The arrangements are everything to this project. I laughed and enjoyed "True" and "Black Hole Sun" as novelties, but then I heard "Jump" and thought it actually sounded amazingly natural as a swing. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" didn't surprise me as much but it's nice none the less. "Eyes Without A Face" and "Everybody Hurts" are my favs and Paul's renditions are lush and meaningful.

Indeed, this is why arrangers as so useful, to give unique brushes of color to the music that changes it subtly or completely. In a time when a lot of performers are turning back to the Great American Songbook for material, reinventing modern rock classics was a little risky but I think Paul Anka pulled it off.

I plan on adding a few of these arrangements to my act.

#139203 - 12/29/05 08:26 PM Re: Why they invented arrangers
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
Paul Anka ... I once heard an outtake of him that was on the RFNY / WHOT ( pirate radio ) site, chastising members of his band for their appearance and their practice habits, among other things. Saying he was a bit rough on them doesn't quite do it justice.]

AJ, that was hilarious. Or sad. Take your pick. I'm sure these guys had to put up with lots of cra. But... who knows?

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#139204 - 01/01/06 06:56 AM Re: Why they invented arrangers
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I don't know many of the other musicians on that album, but Vinnie Colaiuta on drums is an absolute monster and in my opinion in the top 5 of best drummers of all time. I can't imagine Anka being anything but ecstatic having Vinnie on his album.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online