SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#216037 - 08/31/05 08:39 PM Another lurker graduates
batty Offline

Loc: Kingscliff, NSW, Australia
Hello all.

After 3 years of daily study I have finally completed my Bachelor of Lurking degree. I would like to thank everyone who helped along the way with subjects such as Basic Arranger Theory, Arrangers for Jazz & Swing, Rootless Chord Recognition, Why Size Is Important(keys), Software Arranging, The Logic of Logitech, and many others.

I am 37 years old, married with 2 children, living in Sydney Australia, working 9 to 5 weekdays as well as playing keyboard in a duo on Friday and Saturday nights. Been playing piano for a long time and without boring you all to tears, my history with arrangers and Synthzone over 3 years goes like this;

Bought a Technics KN1400
Outgrew the Technics after 12 months
Sold it and bought Rikki's 9000pro (hi Rikki!)
Bought a fully loaded laptop with a view to software arranging in the future
Got rid of my old PA and now use the Logitech z5500 (set up like a PAS)

Apart from thanking everyone at the forum for their advice over the years,the other reason for my migration out from the lurking darkside is to call on some assistance from local Synthzone talent - After 2 years at my current Fri/Sat gig I have decided to quit in order to regain a social life with the family. My (female) vocalist wants to continue on and therefore we need someone to take my position. We play jazz and swing standards, as well as some R&B and contemporary classics. If anyone can assist it would be greatly appreciated. If anyone wants to see us in action we are at Inside Out Restaurant at Parramatta every Friday and Saturday from 7.30pm.

Sorry for rambling but thanks again to all of you.

Mark

#216038 - 08/31/05 08:58 PM Re: Another lurker graduates
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Mark

Welcome to the outside world. haha

Hey, any chance to see a pic of your z5500 PAS set-up and maybe tell how you did it and how it works out soundwise on one pole. How big of an audience does that cover in that configuration?

Best
Scott

#216039 - 08/31/05 09:44 PM Re: Another lurker graduates
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Mike, congratulations for finally coming out behind the lurker's wall. Sounds like your music performance interest (jazz, swing, R&B & pop standards) closely matches mine. I only wish I could afford to hop on a plane to Sydney to possibly fill-in for you on what sounds like is a satisfying restaurant-lounge gig. Though I realize that family commitments come first, I hope you don't have to completely abandon performing. Perhaps you can work out a deal to perform once or twice a month. - Good luck. - Scott

#216040 - 09/01/05 05:35 AM Re: Another lurker graduates
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mark,

Welcome to the asylum. Always lots to learn in this business, and for me it has been a constant learning process that never ends. Please post some photos of your Z-5500 setup. I have been thinking along the same lines of having all of the speakers mounted on a single, vertical column, similar to my Bose PAS. If you don't have webspace to post the photo, email it to me and I will post if for you.

Good Luck and glad you came out of the shadows,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#216041 - 09/01/05 07:04 AM Re: Another lurker graduates
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Congratulations on your Bachelor of Lurking Degree I'd love to see photos of your z5500 set up too!

#216042 - 09/01/05 08:03 AM Re: Another lurker graduates
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Mark....I guess great minds think alike, so put mine in with the rest...welcome to the real world and let us see the photos....ask
your female singer if she is willing to travel....I'm sure that some of our members
would love to have her....I don't think Gary's wife Carole will let him use her hehe
Tony Rome

#216043 - 09/01/05 08:21 AM Re: Another lurker graduates
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Mark... welcome to SZ, good to have someone here from down under. Sounds like you have a popular item there in your "poor mans PAS". I'm also interested in learning more.

Glenn

#216044 - 09/01/05 09:25 PM Re: Another lurker graduates
batty Offline

Loc: Kingscliff, NSW, Australia
Thanks for your warm welcome. I will take some photos of my z5500 setup this weekend and also describe the settings etc.

Tony, i'm sure my singer would love to perform with you guys! She's a kiwi (i.e from New Zealand) and has a great voice.

Scott, rest assured I will continue to perform some fill-in gigs every now and then, otherwise I find that you quickly become 'rusty'. Just at the moment it is time for a bit of a break as I am changing my full time (day) job soon as well as planning to move house around Christmas.

Kind regards
Mark

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online