SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#213942 - 07/20/05 03:16 PM update and new demo on pa1x pro
notlos Offline

Loc: Belgium
Finaly,
after the recent update yesterday from the o.s. system in my pa1x the sampler works fine now!!! I can get working on new registrations and styles now with samples that are fantastic like the grooves from the ketron keyboards and cd-drumloops.

I have made a first demo now with drumloop integrated in the factory style of the pa1x/pro. I have recorded the song "song for guy" from Elton John. I have used here in the first part the factory style and on the second part added a drumloop (bossaloop) and it automatic synchronize (after doing the slicing in the pa1xpro)with the style tempo.

Some other info: for the right part(keyboardtrack upper) i have used 3-times the piano setting one octave below the other(upp1 piano o octave, upp2 piano -1 octave and upp3 piano -2 octave), choose a fx for the style and keyboardtracks and set the lower to a moody sweep pad and change the volume frequently in the song of this part.
All of this realtime recorded on the mp3-board(optional) in the pa1x-pro.(also the fade out is on the pa1x at the end)

Hope you enjoy this new song.......

Greetings from Belgium,
Notlos www.notlos.com (go to the education link)

------------------

[This message has been edited by notlos (edited 07-20-2005).]

[This message has been edited by notlos (edited 07-20-2005).]

#213943 - 07/20/05 05:17 PM Re: update and new demo on pa1x pro
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Dirk, really enjoyed your PA1XPro produced polished arrangement of Elton John's "Song For Guy". Thanks also for sharing production details.

I think the piano sounds appropriately fitting to the song. Not sure what you're saying regarding how you set up the piano patch(es) though. Was this a single piano patch which was layered an octave higher & lower, yet with different efx applied to each, or? Was an internal factory piano sound used or is the piano from the PA1X optional expansion board?

I assume (from what I read) that the drums include both a PA1X factory style along with a sampled bossa drumloop. I really APPRECIATE your utilization of audio sample loops here as it makes the song 'breathe' with even more realism. Curious which specific drum/percussion parts came from the internal factory drum style & which ones come from your imported sample loop. Curious which audio format(s) the PA1Xpro & SD1 support. Do either support WAV files?

I recently purchased a fantastic sample library of high quality audio drum loops of "jazz brushes" called BRUSH ARTISTRY:
http://www.bigfishaudio.com/4DCGI/detail.html?840

as well as a wonderful disc of "pedal steel" guitar audio loops called "STEELING' From the STEEL":
http://www.steelloops.com/

and was wondering if it would be possible to import & integrate these sample loops (WAV format) with existing styles on the Korg PA1XPro or Ketron SD1 the way you did.

Could these loops also be saved in the keyboard and called up with specific styles for LIVE performance in 'auto accompaniment' mode as well?

On another note, for curious minds (like me) who want to know exactly who "Song for Guy" was written for:

Answer: At the time Elton was recording the "A Single Man" album, in 1978, a messenger boy for Rocket Records (Elton's company) , named Guy Burchett, was struck by a car and killed while riding his bicycle. "Song for Guy" was written for him.

Dirk, thanks again for sharing your music.

Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#213944 - 07/21/05 01:48 PM Re: update and new demo on pa1x pro
notlos Offline

Hi scott,

I used only the grand piano 1 of the korg (no expansion board!!!)
i have set upper 1 "piano1"
upper 2 "piano1" one octave below
upper 3 "piano1" two octave below
About the sampleloop:
in the first part you hear only the factory drums of the style in the pa1xpro, on the second part i added the drumloop (that i saved in the pad-memory)In "assingable pads" you can set 4 pads to your choise and adding it with the style in synchro.
Yes the pa1xpro supports wav-format also the korg format and akai format(Akai programs can only loaded with the optional cd-writer)All samples can be saved in the keyboard in the pcm folder and you can choose while you startup the keyboard for loading the samples at the same time.

You can add the samples in the pads or place them in the style on a track, while doing the last you have always the sample synchonized with the style when you choose this style. I you set the sample in the pads you must first start the style and push the pad where you set the drumloop.

Hoping giving you the right information,

greetings,
Notlos www.notlos.com

#213945 - 07/21/05 02:09 PM Re: update and new demo on pa1x pro
notlos Offline

I will work soon on a song with integraded groove of the ketron and a style of the pa1xpro. So you can hear that you can take the good things of another keyboard in the korg keyboard !! I'm thinking on the "fantastic" cha-cha-,salsa-,samba grooves that you find in the Ketron and move to the pa1x-pro.

Ketron meets Korg...........

------------------

[This message has been edited by notlos (edited 07-21-2005).]

#213946 - 07/21/05 03:32 PM Re: update and new demo on pa1x pro
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by notlos:
Yes the pa1xpro supports wav-format also the korg format and akai format.

Notlos, a terrific news discovery as both my above CD/DVD disks include WAV file format loops.

Quote:
Originally posted by notlos:

You can add the samples in the pads or place them in the style on a track, while doing the last you have always the sample synchonized with the style when you choose this style.

The professional levelof performance & realism of the acoustic brush drum loops recorded on the "Brush Artistry" disk I outlined above far SURPASS anything I've ever heard before, and to be able to utilize them (instead of the lacklaster brush patterns with midi produced loops) in live auto accomp mode arranger keyboard performance, will provide added rhythm section realism, & instrumental (drumming) expression.

I've now become more convinced than ever that integrating quality recorded 'audio loops' in arranger keyboard performance will provide rhythm section realism not possible with midi alone, especially when the audio loops are recorded by top pro instrumentalists on the actual instrument, not simply emulated on a keyboard. Afterall, midi can only capture so much.

Realizing that drum loop pitch (track 10) is not affected by the chord played or song transpose settings made, audio drum loops are idealilly matched to be integrated for auto accomp arranger keyboard playing. On the other hand, utilizing 'pitched based' instrument audio loops appear to be ANOTHER matter. I'm wondering if there's any any to get acoustic instrument loops to work as well. Anyone here ever attempt this? In addition to the audio loop needing to be transposed to whatever chord change is played & recognized by the arranger, certain notes in the audio loop would need to be altered (to reflect the change: maj/minor) as well. I guess I'm stepping ahead of the current keyboard technological capabilities here. Perhaps this might be possible with next year's kb model?

Scott

#213947 - 07/21/05 06:14 PM Re: update and new demo on pa1x pro
to the genesys Offline

Sounds like Korg is doing what the lionstracs mediastation is doing with their MIDI audio arranger. I guess more and more of the big keyboard manufacturers will follow the mediastation concept and those big manufacturers will probably get all the credit for it.

#213948 - 07/22/05 12:40 AM Re: update and new demo on pa1x pro
Daddy JJ Offline

Hi Dirk,

Great work...Pleasant to listen...Good mix..
JJ

#213949 - 07/22/05 04:31 AM Re: update and new demo on pa1x pro
Booby Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
Sounds like Korg is doing what the lionstracs mediastation is doing with their MIDI audio arranger. I guess more and more of the big keyboard manufacturers will follow the mediastation concept ....

Just to be precise the time slice function was available in Korg instruments (Triton series, Pa80 and Pa1X) before the mediastation arrived. But the very first implementation of this feature belongs to Recycle (a computer software).

I love precision .... :-))

Cheers.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online