SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#94655 - 07/14/05 12:16 PM Beginner keyboard suggestions/recommendations
eclecticbutterfly Offline

It's been a while since I've played any piano/keyboard. I am looking for something a beginner like myself can handle. A few keyboards that were suggested to me are the Korg n264/364 and the guitar center here has a used Yamaha S03 & DGX203 that I am thinking about purchasing. I really just want opinons on those three keyboards and maybe some suggestions. Further info I will be attempting my own tracks, etc.

#94656 - 07/14/05 06:26 PM Re: Beginner keyboard suggestions/recommendations
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi, it could be helpfull if you tell us a little more of what you want to do, expectations, projects, etc.....I do not like to compare, but is a little like cars/trucks......depending what kind of music you want to do, soloist, just studio, live performance, with a band, etc.-
Just for info, the Korg N264-364 are synths a little over 10 years old, the newer Korg series is the Triton, Yamaha the Motifs, Rolands and the Fantom X series.
And as far goes, the Yamaha S03 is also a synth, a little newer but, the DGX 203 is a low end arranger.....so is a little of mismatch...

Synths; provide you with a large pallete of sounds, from sound efects, etc. and most will include a General Midi Bank, their function is great to play in bands, studio, real time.

Worksations, like the synths, but include a secuencer that allows you to record your MIDI tracks, like a layer cake, strings, piano, bass, etc.....up to 16 tracks, some high end worsations will include a sampler too.
this are great for bands, studio, live performance ( band, unless you only use secuences).

The Arrangers, playing in real time with your chords will sound like an ensamble from a trio to a large band depending what kind of style/rhythm you pick.....this type of keyboards are ideal for solo players, singers.....duos. Most will have a large pallete of sounds, and the high end will have samplers, MP3 encoders, vocalist, etc. perhaps, features not available in worksations/synths. I hope it helps you this "explanation".

------------------
mdorantes

#94657 - 07/14/05 07:58 PM Re: Beginner keyboard suggestions/recommendations
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA
I have found a great deal to like about the Yamaha DGX305. I suggest you take one home on a 30-day trial and see what you think.

Douglas Wolfe
Sacramento

#94658 - 07/15/05 09:29 AM Re: Beginner keyboard suggestions/recommendations

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mdorantes:
[B]Hi, it could be helpfull if you tell us a little more of what you want to do, expectations, projects, etc.....

*****I am aiming toward a synth or workstation but I like the Yamaha DGX203 concept i.e. education suite etc....For the most part I will be learning to play again with the intention of eventually composing my own music, etc. I am not part of a band (although I would like to be)plus I am also learning guitar so for now this is strictly for pleasure.

As for the Korg, a friend has the n364 so I've played around with it some. Will probably hit up guitar center tomorrow and play around some b/c that is where I saw the used Yamaha S03 and the DGX203.
I don't have the cash for the Tritons & the Motifs which is y I have leaned towards the older models. Plus I'm not a serious keyboard player (yet). Does this make any sense?

#94659 - 07/17/05 01:30 AM Re: Beginner keyboard suggestions/recommendations
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
if the prices are the same.
n 364 will be a beter buy.a mid level pro workstation.(it's a beefed up x-3 with 64 poly and rppr(trigger loop/seqcing).I had x3 back in 1993 and I can say though the display is small it has dedicated buttons for seq/prog/combis.seq is easy to use.the sounds in general are way above those yams.
it's not more than 10 yr old(it was introduced in 1996-7 era).classic AI2 synthesis -think o1w/ x3 -unlike triton generation -it's warmer IMHO.you said you want to write your own music-it would suite you best.

the yam s03 is a beginner synth- no seq -think X5(new s-03 -499$).dgx 203 is a home KB .none of these two has Disk drive ,after touch or 16 ch seq like n364.

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 07-17-2005).]

#94660 - 07/17/05 08:57 AM Re: Beginner keyboard suggestions/recommendations

Well i ended up purchasing the Yamaha PSR293 mainly due to pricing. Since I'm learning to play all over again I like the chord dictionary and it teaches you to play some songs. On the other hand some of the instrument sounds are a little cheezy. I have 30 days so I'm gonna be patient and give it a go. The only place I have been able to find a Korg n264/364 is ebay and they are averaging about $600. Not sure as a beginner I'm willing to shell out that much yet but since i'm still checking it out I figure I'm not that happy with the Yamaha.
If you guys know anyone willing to sell theirs let me know.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online