SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#92572 - 01/08/05 10:10 PM Has anyone tried directly programming Tyros styles with a MIDI electric drum set?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Has anyone tried directly programming Tyros styles with a MIDI electric drum set?

I know on my previous Yamaha (psr8000) this was not possible. But now I'm interested in buying the Yamaha DD 55 (http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--YAMDD55), but only if I can directly program to the keyboard without using software in between.

Thanks!

#92573 - 01/09/05 05:50 AM Re: Has anyone tried directly programming Tyros styles with a MIDI electric drum set?
ricok987 Offline

Loc: N Brunswick, NJ, US
I don't think that would be possible-unless the keyboards has a bunch of drum trigger inputs that I don't know about.

#92574 - 01/09/05 10:40 AM Re: Has anyone tried directly programming Tyros styles with a MIDI electric drum set?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Of course you can, but it would not be the easiest way to do it..

You can sequence using the patch/drum set on the Tyros, VIA the MIDI drum controller..non drum tracks can also be sequenced on added tracks[channels]..After you sequence the material, you can re-channel if needed, and write the style as you would with any SMF..I also think you can assemble this sequenced material via Sonar to a Yamaha style..

#92575 - 01/09/05 06:35 PM Re: Has anyone tried directly programming Tyros styles with a MIDI electric drum set?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Yes, you should be able to do it directly to your arranger, or,as Fran suggests via any soft sequencer that supports marker insertions like Sonar, XG Works, etc. The DD55 is simply a midi controller ( it does have midi right ? ). It should work like any other midi controller. There are advantages to using sofware tools however, that you should be aware of. Unless you can time the notes perfectly or pretty close to it, you're style is likely to sound a little or even way off. Of course I'm certain that the Tyros will allow you to edit and quantize, but I've never found this to be very quick and effective in any keyboard sequencer..

If you were to use a softseq as a go between, you will need to mark where each style part starts in the sequence you create if you use a soft sequencer ( Main A, Main B, Intro A, etc. There is also some CASM and sysex data that needs to be put into the sequence before it can be converted to a working .sty file. This is where programs like Michael P Bedesem's style creator ( freeware ) or One Man Band can be of great assistance, as they do this automatically. Inserting these extras manually is very tedious, and one mistake and the style won't work properly.

Here is one thing to remember as well. The last piece of midi data ( note, cc change, etc ) for each variation needs to stop at the end of the last measure. In other words, if you are doing a 4 measure drum part, dont let any notes sustain into the 5th measure, or you will have a 5 measure style, and the 5th measure will go silent on you. This is where editing in a sequencer can be a big advantage. You just go to the piano roll view for each track and ensure that no data crosses the line between 4th and 5th measure. Of course you can set your style for different length of measures, 2, 8, etc, but the rule is always the same... Cross the line of the ninth measure and your 8 measure style will now be 9 measures long with a blank measure at the end.

If you have never done so, I would recommend opening a style file using XG works or Michael's style maker along with your favorite host soft sequencer, and just taking a look at the way the markers are setup and how the data is applied. It can help give you a better understanding of how a style is actually put together. Even if you are just going to work directly to the keyboard from your controller.. Hope this helps..

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-09-2005).]

#92576 - 01/10/05 11:40 AM Re: Has anyone tried directly programming Tyros styles with a MIDI electric drum set?
chony Offline

Thank you everyone,

I've programmed about 20 or so styles directly from my keyboard without the use of an external sequencer, and haven't had any problems.

I am interested in doing it though a sequencer, as this will allow me to fix my mistakes instead or replaying them -- I just don't know how to do it! Is there an instruction 'manual' anywhere? I'm using Cubase SX 2.2.

Where can I get Michael's style creator or XG works?

Thanks again, Chony

#92577 - 01/10/05 11:53 AM Re: Has anyone tried directly programming Tyros styles with a MIDI electric drum set?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
http://home7.inet.tele.dk/js/musik/740pages/link7406.htm

That's the link to Jorgen Sorenson's excellent Yamaha PSR Resource Site. There are links to both his and Michael's software, including Michael's Style Maker. There are many other style utilities there as well. I've tried a few, and they have all performed flawlessly. Some very useful ones from both guys. BTW, I think that both of these guys are amazing. They have contributed so much to the arranger community. I can't even imagine the time they must have spent creating some of these programs, and they are all freeware.

You don't need XG Works if you have Cubase Chony. All you'll need is Michael's style creator program. It will allow you to choose and work with Cubase, or any other sequencer of your choice. Cubase will open up from within the program itself. Michael's instructions come with style creator, and they are pretty straightforward. His program's help file will tell you exactly how to use your sequencer with Style Maker. There is an added bonus for Band in a Box users. Style Maker allows for direct conversion of BIAB styles to PSR format. After discussing this in a recent thread here, I decided to try it for myself and... voila.. it works.

The main thing I like about using an external sequencer, aside from being able to correct my timing 'nuances' ( translation: mistakes..lol ), is that it allows me to program some serious beats that I likely don't have a prayer of being able to play in real time.

Best regards,
AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-10-2005).]

#92578 - 01/10/05 01:16 PM Re: Has anyone tried directly programming Tyros styles with a MIDI electric drum set?
chony Offline

Thanks a lot Blues,

I'm going to check out that program now --- I just *hope* that these programs are available for mac!

Chony

#92579 - 01/12/05 12:40 AM Re: Has anyone tried directly programming Tyros styles with a MIDI electric drum set?
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
DD50(i think it has GM sounds) and most of those pads can transmit drum sound data ( GM mapped-kick for kick,snare for snare) so this is what you can do.trigger them while you are in style write mode as if you are triggering the keys.(make sure tyros receives data as slave).

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online