SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#130460 - 01/11/05 07:37 AM PC speaker problem cont'd ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Synth-Guy asked to be informed as to what happens with this problem ...
Well, it's been about 2 weeks since this problem first started with the sub woofer not working ...
After having spent HOURS on the telephone with DELL techs trying to resolve this and having received and installed a whole new set of spkrs from DELL, not only is there no resolution, the matter has actually worsened, from the sub woofer, to the rear speakers, to no sound at all ...

I don't have the personal memory capacity to reiterate everything that we've tried (even have the Creative Sound Audigy techs involved), and it would probably bore you anyway ...
BUT I have to say DELL has stayed right on top of this, calling me to find out if corrective attempts by Creative have resolved the problem ...

Creative sent me a couple of pages of instructions to de-install and reinstall the software, drivers, whatever, and I was having difficulty getting through their instructions. ...
DELL happened to call last night while I was re-attempting Creative's suggestion, and decided that rather than go through what would have been a lengthy exercise which DELL felt might not resolve the problem, they have decided that the sound card should be replaced ...
They are sending a new card, and having a technician come to install it ...
I just got a call telling me that the tech will contact me at noon tomorrow to set up a time for installation...

My niece's husband (who is a full time PC techie) ordered the system for me back in Feb '04, and he got me a 2 year warrantee ... I have to thank him for that because all of this will be at no expense to me other than time and inconvenience ...

Hopefully the tech will be able to correct the problem ...
Now to get all those PC wires nice and neat before he gets there ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 01-11-2005).]

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 01-11-2005).]

#130461 - 01/11/05 08:15 AM Re: PC speaker problem cont'd ...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tony,

I was fairly confident it was the sound card at fault, and the good news is that installation of a new one should not take more than a few minutes. Sound cards, like all electronic components, do take a dirt-nap. I've replaced several for friends that had the same problem, and in each case, the first thing they thought was at the heart of the problem was the speakers. In reality, unless a speaker is overdriven, they rarely fail.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online