SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#161537 - 01/01/04 09:31 AM Health insurance options for self-employed.
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

Hope you all have a Happy New Year.

I need your input.

The stores I have been managing for Fletcher Music Centers were closed in Floridas panhandle yesterday. I have decided to take an offer here in Pensacola with a local music store rather than move to central Florida with the company I've been with for a number of years.

Here is where the question comes in. Whats's the best way for me to have continueous health insurance?

I know I am eligilbe for Cobra. The new job will cover 1/2 of my insurance for 6 months and all of it thereafter. The only thing is that they want to pay only for what coverage would cost for a normal insurance policy without any pre-existing conditions with Blue Cross/Blue Shield. I would pay anything over that.

Since I do have some pre-existing conditions, not to mention several medications that I take, well, I think you see what I'm driving at here.

Any insurance I would end up with after Cobra, or if I go to a different insurance company right away, would be a policy for individuals rather than a group, as this company is too small to offer group insurance.

So, you can see at some point I will have only individual health insurance.

What do you guys use? Although I don't belong, I wonder if the Musicians Federation would have a group rate plan, or if there are any other groups out there I could join to get a good group rate that covers pre-existing conditions.

Thinking of the advantages of a group plan, I am wondering if the Sythzone gang could form a group for insurance purposes??

OK, I know there is a bunch of knowledge here so, I'm all ears. What would you recommend in my situation?

Best
Scott

#161538 - 01/01/04 09:46 AM Re: Health insurance options for self-employed.
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

Knowing you're an old guy such as myself, if you have ever served in the armed forces on active duty, you are elegible for no cost coverage through the Veteran's Administration. Just go to www.va.gov and click on health benefits. You can even enrole online. Naturally, under this program you must see VA physicians, but I believe you'll find this is not a problem. The program does not discriminate against those with pre-existing conditions and has a great drug benefit program.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#161539 - 01/01/04 10:17 AM Re: Health insurance options for self-employed.
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Gary

Thanks for your reply. No, I was not in the service.

Scott

#161540 - 01/01/04 11:16 AM Re: Health insurance options for self-employed.
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Scott...
Similar circumstances here. I was working P/T at a restaurant to be eligible for group health. The restuarant closed and I lost my coverage. Due to pre-existing, the only thing I could do was get on Cobra. Another option you and I have as Florida residents is the Single Group Enrollment mandated to insurance companies by the State. But, the only time you can enroll is during August. I am still trying to get more info on it.

The link to the Florida Department of Financial Services had a posting about this, but I have not been able to relocate it. Maybe you will have better luck. Here is the link to the master side: http://www.fldfs.com/
Eddie

#161541 - 01/02/04 02:04 PM Re: Health insurance options for self-employed.
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Mayeb someone can adopt you and put you on their insurance plan ?
You'll have to pay for the adoption cost and finding the right family .

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 01-02-2004).]

#161542 - 01/02/04 09:50 PM Re: Health insurance options for self-employed.
zuki Offline

Scott,
Sorry to hear about your gig...maybe it's better? I am self employed and have MEGA Health Insurance. I pay less than $300/mo and have exceptable coverage for a family of three. No dental, but vision, prescription, catastrophic, etc. Just check them out on the web...that's how I found it.
Zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online