SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#93800 - 08/21/03 09:59 PM Yamaha Arrangers: Triggering auto accomp RIGHT of Split Point
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Help: Is it possible at all on the Yamaha Tyros or PSR2000, and with the chord fingering type set to: 'fingered' mode, to setup the chord recognition area to only occur to the RIGHT of the split point?

With the keyboard in split mode and the left voice set to: 'acoustic bass' and right voice set to: 'piano', I want to be able to play bass lines with my left hand while playing full chords and triggering the auto accompaniment (muting the auto accomp bass instrument of course) with my right hand.

Unless I'm overlooking something, it appears that it's only possible to set the chord recognition area (Style 'S') to occur to the left of the split point.

Thanks in advance for help with this.

Scott

#93801 - 08/21/03 10:46 PM Re: Yamaha Arrangers: Triggering auto accomp RIGHT of Split Point
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
The only way I know of to trigger 'right hand' accompaniment-(right of split point) is in Full or AI Full Keyboard mode. Full Keyboard mode seems to be the best option as AI Full Keyboard mode is harder to accommodate and use in a precise and intuitive manner IMO. Unless I too am missing something and there is a way to do it in 'fingered' mode. What saith thou Joe Waters? PS: Joe, you really ought to check in with us more often here at SZ because your knowledge, service, and expertise are needed on a daily basis IMHO. And while I'm at it, I have to check in at your PSR Tutorial Forum more often too because of all the great info and supportive people that abound over there.

Best regards,
Mike

#93802 - 08/22/03 06:16 AM Re: Yamaha Arrangers: Triggering auto accomp RIGHT of Split Point
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
As far as I know, Full or AI is the only method of triggering from locations other than below the split point. However, there is one exception--you can move the split point to the extreme right hand side of the keyboard, then trigger chords from any location when playing in the fingered mode. Keep in mind, however, that you will then have to play single or two-key melodies using the left voice. If you were to hit three keys, you would change chords.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#93803 - 08/22/03 08:39 AM Re: Yamaha Arrangers: Triggering auto accomp RIGHT of Split Point
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Scott,
90% of the time, if I'm playing manual bass.... I have NO auto accmt playing. The Korg allows you to specify which hand triggers the chord, so setting up the design you mentioned is a snap. I constantly swicth to right hand recognition in the middle of a song, if I need my left hand to do something like search for a business card, or turn pages on the LapTop....whatever.
The 2100 has the left hand set to bass, and the right hand on a chord sound....no acc used. (not possible, as you've discovered)

I love the flexibility that the PA80 offers, even if the learning curve is so steep. I access the "Bass to lowest" from a dedicated button, the "right or left" hand triggers , and much more.
These are some of the reasons that I put up with the awkward drum fills. I try to avoid the really stupid ones.

Playing bass is still one of my favorite ways to perform, so I use it as much as I can....with no arranger. Just left hand and right hand making the arrangement that I sing over. It brings me the most satisfaction, and sounds just wonderful in a more intimate setting.

#93804 - 08/22/03 08:57 AM Re: Yamaha Arrangers: Triggering auto accomp RIGHT of Split Point
Scottyee Offline

Uncle Dave, thanks for clearing up the mystery. I can easily see now why the Korg PA80 is the prefered keyboard for you, coming from your principal instrument background as 'bass' player.

I hope Yamaha will take Korg's lead, and immplent this feature as well.

It's obvious that every arranger keyboard has it's unique advantages/disadvantages. The trick is finding the one which best matches our personal needs most, and all of our personal keyboard playing needs are different for sure.

I still love my Tyros, in spite of this.

Scott

#93805 - 08/22/03 11:18 AM Re: Yamaha Arrangers: Triggering auto accomp RIGHT of Split Point
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
This is one of the main reasons I prefer the PA80 too. Sometimes I prefer to have the chords follow my right hand rythym playing.

The other very important feature that absolutely kills the 2000 / 2100 for me is the lack of an easily accessible volume control slider or knob that controls just the panel voice(s). This is a double whammy for me because the majority the PA80 and 2100 voices I prefer to use are made up of layered combinations. On the 2k I have to push buttons just to access the colume controls and then raise or drop each one separately for a multilayered voice. On the PA80 I simply assigned my assignable slider to control panel voices and with one slide the whole shebang goes up or down in volume while the accompaniment remains at the same level.

I'm not trying to initiate a disagreement at all.. I truly just don't get it at all.. I realize the PA80 is a steeper learning curve, but it's features like these that make me scratch my head when others tell me how much more user friendly they find the Yammy boards to be. Maybe they are right and my thought processes are off kilter or abstract in some way.. I don't know.. I just cannot get comfortable at all in a real time setting with any Yamaha arranger, and I've really tried, and I still don't like the key feel on the PSR's .. another reason to relegate mine to backup only if needed status. I'm pretty much considering selling my 2k at this point.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 08-22-2003).]

#93806 - 08/22/03 11:42 AM Re: Yamaha Arrangers: Triggering auto accomp RIGHT of Split Point
Scottyee Offline

Hi AJ: I would have loved to consider a Korg arranger like the PA80, but regrettably, it (and all Korg arranger kbs) don't recognize 'rootless type' jazz keyboard chord voicing (ala Bill Evans) which is an essential feature in my book.

This brings me back to the never ending frustration that there's still not ONE keyboard that has all the features I want in one unit. So far, the Tyros matches my needs most. Perhaps next year, a perfect glove or Cinderella's golden slipper will be found. Fairy tales do eventually come true, don't they?. - Scott

#93807 - 08/22/03 12:14 PM Re: Yamaha Arrangers: Triggering auto accomp RIGHT of Split Point
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
AJ,
I think the "EZ" aspect of Yamaha psr series only refers to the basic, everyday operations that many users will play with. This is one reason why they are so popular - most everyone can get a great sound right away. It's when you try to order OFF THE MENU that you find yur selections are limited. The PA has more "hidden" goodies than I'd like, but I LOVE when I find them !

#93808 - 08/23/03 12:40 PM Re: Yamaha Arrangers: Triggering auto accomp RIGHT of Split Point
tonkan Offline

Loc: Sweden
The most important ímprovement that both Technics and Yamaha must do is a manual bass part, for easy choose of bass voice, and a manual bass on/off button for easy use of either left hand bass or bass pedals.
It would be ok if the choose of manual bass would be for left hand bass, with right hand recognition, or for bass pedals, with left hand recognition, inside the menus.

Listen Yamaha. You MUST have this on your next board !!!

#93809 - 08/23/03 10:15 PM Re: Yamaha Arrangers: Triggering auto accomp RIGHT of Split Point
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Idatrod:
... What saith thou Joe Waters? PS: Joe, you really ought to check in with us more often here at SZ because your knowledge, service, and expertise are needed on a daily basis IMHO.
Best regards,
Mike

I'm afraid I haven't had time to check in too frequently recently because my current project keeps me very occupied in Excel rather than the PSR or the forums! My expertise hardly competes with all the pros here! But I did check on this split point issue. The Accompaniment is always at the far left. You could, for example, set the Accompaniment split point at C1 so that the lowest octave on the keyboard is for accompaniment. If you set the Left-Hand split point at C2, then the Left voice would play ONLY in that 2nd octave. You could use the Sound Creator to set the bass voice an octave lower. So this would give you
C0 <-accompaniment-> C1 <-Left BASS-> C2 <- Right hand voices.
The 1st split point is the "A" split point and the 2nd would be the "L" split point. If you were to move that "A" further to the right, it would reduce the number of keys available for playing the left hand voice. Similarly, you could move the "L" accompaniment to the left and reduce the number of keys for the left voice. However, if you moved "A" all the way over to where "L" is so that the "A" and "L" split points were the same, THEN the accompaniment and the BASS would both play to the left of that single "combined" split point. If they are NOT the same key, that is there is a distance between the "A" and the "L", the left hand voice would only play in the interval between the "A" and the "L". So, you can set the keyboard up to have a left hand voice completely independent of the accompaniment area.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online