SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#218423 - 11/04/02 11:06 AM Yamaha Tyros: 'live' GRAND PIANO: Listen HERE !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I just heard the recent demo of the Yamaha Tyro 'live' GRAND PIANO produced by Simon Williams. He played it entirely on the Tyros 61 note KB (using the octave shift feature) and says no outboard efx processing was added either. I'm VERY impressed with the Tyros 'live Grand Piano sound, as well as with Simon's terrific demo performance.

Please check it out for yourselves here: http://www.psrworld.com/tyrosdemos.htm

Scroll down to 'Members Songs On Tyros' and select: 'LIVE Grand Piano' demonstration.

I look forward to hearing other people's feedback & comments re: the sound of the Tyros Grand Piano. I wonder if it's the SAME sample used on the Yamaha 9000pro?

Simon, THANKS for your excellent work.

Scott

#218424 - 11/04/02 11:08 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros: 'live' GRAND PIANO: Listen HERE !
trtjazz Offline

Scott,
I too have listened to Simon's demo of this piece as you know, and I think it is excellent both in sound and his playing of it.
thanks Simon for providing it,
Terry

#218425 - 11/04/02 11:27 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros: 'live' GRAND PIANO: Listen HERE !
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
My guess is that it is the same acoustic piano sound of the 9000 Pro - the high end is thin and shrill IMHO. But we can let everyone decide for themselves...

I am going to contact Simon and propose a full test comparison of the Tyros, the 9000 Pro stock acoustic piano, and the PLG150-PF expansion card. I'd like to suggest that we do a full note-by-note scale walk-up on a sequencer, first with all of the velocities set at 128 and then one with all the velocities set at something like 90. Then we can each do a short piano-only performance. I can provide samples for the 9000 Pro and the PLG150-PF. I'll see if he'll post the resulting MP3's. Stay tuned.

#218426 - 11/04/02 11:48 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros: 'live' GRAND PIANO: Listen HERE !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
My guess is that it is the same acoustic piano sound of the 9000 Pro - the high end is thin and shrill IMHO.

Though I'm a Steinway guy myself (own one), I think that the Tyros' 'live' Grand Piano sample is only accurately reproducing the characteristicly signature sound of top of the line Yamaha grand pianos. I assume Yamaha would not even consider adding their chief competitor's pianos (Steinway) to their arranger keyboards, would they? Anyway, it would be interesting to find out exactly WHICH Grand Piano sample Yamaha used on the Tyros.

Hoping to hear more feedback from others on your 'personal' opinion on the Tyros 'live' Grand sound.

#218427 - 11/04/02 01:21 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros: 'live' GRAND PIANO: Listen HERE !
KN_Fan Offline

So,
THAT was your Steinway playing in the background....

#218428 - 11/04/02 01:46 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros: 'live' GRAND PIANO: Listen HERE !
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Very nice sound and nice playing by Simon. I think The Pro is correct, the high notes seem thin. The sustain is very realistic.
Starkeeper

#218429 - 11/04/02 01:55 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros: 'live' GRAND PIANO: Listen HERE !
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Scott: I agree that the Tyros/9000 Pro/PLG150-PF are likely all sampled Yamaha grand pianos... but at least two out of these three sound different: the 9000 Pro and the PLG150-PF. That's why the PLG150-PF is offered as an expansion option for the 9000 Pro, as an upgrade. Now what I'd like to know is how the Tyros acoustic grand directly compares to the 9000 Pro and to the PLG150-PF. Simon's Tyros grand piano MP3 sounds on par with the 9000 Pro but my initial reaction is that it does not sound better than the PLG150-PF. I would like to hear a couple of test midi files played on all three for comparison. In many people's mind, the acoustic piano sound is one of the most important factors in choosing a keyboard - so a shoot-out could be enlightening.

#218430 - 11/04/02 02:14 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros: 'live' GRAND PIANO: Listen HERE !
Scottyee Offline

Hi Pro: I'm with YOU here regarding the acoustic piano sample being one of the most important factors in choosing a kb. Yamaha acoustic grand pianos have never been my personal favorite sounding pianos. Yamaha pianos sound a bit clinicaly clean sounding (lack of enough rich harmonic overtones, and a bit shrill in the upper registers) for my taste, but I did find that (at least from listening to Simon's MP3 demo) that the Tyro 'live' Grand sounds sounded much better than I expected, for a Yamaha type piano sound that is, especially when played along with auto accomp parts (drums/bass). In the meantime, I'm also VERY interested to find out how the Tyros piano compares to the 9000 Pro and PLG150-PF piano samples. Pro, knowing what a discrimating musician you are, I look forward to hearing your findings. - Scott

#218431 - 11/04/02 03:30 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros: 'live' GRAND PIANO: Listen HERE !
Lou Y Offline

Loc: NY USA
Just my opinion...
My compliments go to Simon and his GRAND PIANO mp3. I think for an arranger keyboard at its price the sound was very warm and pleasing.
No hard feelings Scott but if I wanted to compare it to a Steinway I would probably get one. This is just a 3,000. arranger keyboard that delivers one hell of a package.....Lou

#218432 - 11/04/02 06:17 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros: 'live' GRAND PIANO: Listen HERE !
Luis.Santos Offline

Loc: Portugal
What about the bestf piano sounds on the SD1 ? How would you all rate it?...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online