SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#213937 - 07/31/02 05:59 AM Promotion How and What
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
In the "Tips" tip topic Uncle Dave mentions that he gives out business cards at jobs. How do you promote your act? I've been in a band for 30 years and never had to get jobs. I'm now open to solo, duo, and trio type jobs. Do I need a demo CD? should I contact all the VFW's, Elks, and American Legion posts? Do you ever audition? I never have. Don and Scott, has your web site produced any jobs? Thanks

Tom

Tom

#213938 - 07/31/02 06:21 AM Re: Promotion How and What
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I never had to worry about it until the last couple of years. But now it seems a little tougher.
I always have business cards to hand out.
Yes I have a demo CD and promo package, complete with partial song list, photo and publicity sheet.
Yes, contact everyone who might be in need of your services.
No I don't do free auditions.
Don
No, the website hasn't produced any bookings on its own, but sometimes I refer potential customers to it.

#213939 - 07/31/02 06:30 AM Re: Promotion How and What
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom...
My experience with demos (tape or CD):
The entertainment directors I work for have their own prejudices toward certain types of music, even songs. If your demo has what THEY like, you may be in luck...but more often than not, I find they give such demos a very cursory listen...if they listen to them at all.

They tend to listen to demos the way we read newspapers...glance at headlines and then read into the copy of stories until they feel there is nothing else new or different about it.

Some E.D.'s tell me they are skeptical of tapes and CDs because they are very much aware they can be "doctored" to sound studio perfect.

I don't audition due to the time and effort of set ups... but I do a couple of other things.

1) I will invite a prospective client to come to a job I am playing to see the crowd reaction and interaction. Even then, I notice most don't stay long...just long enough to get an idea of how your sound and the crowd response.

2) I use flyers that contain the usual sales pitches and references to other places I play regularly. These are generated on my computer and can be customized for each prospect to reflect the genre of music they usually use.

3) Personal contact, by phone or in person is also very important. Get into their head and find out what it is they like and dislike.

In the fraternals, it is critical to get to know, not only the folks in charge, but the ones coming up the ladder who will be making the decisions in the future.

I am not adverse to playing a few freebies, if for a really good cause...as long as it is not on one of the nights that I would otherwise be booked. I did a benefit for the parents of retarded children on a Sunday afternoon that resulted in a year long contract with the club that hosted the event.

BOTTOM LINE: Nothing will sell you like the right people seeing you perform. Either they are in the position to hire you... or have the influence with someone else who does.

Eddie

#213940 - 07/31/02 07:10 AM Re: Promotion How and What
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Eddie,

I thought the same thing about the demo CD. If you don't include the listeners favorite song you might not get the job. You put "Proud Mary " on it and he or she HATES "Proud Mary". There goes the job. Thanks for the advice.

Tom

Tom

#213941 - 07/31/02 07:29 AM Re: Promotion How and What
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Here's another way to do the audio demo thing:
I make each one specific to the client's requests. That way they are getting the songs they like. I make each one special in my studio and send it out with a signed, complete contract. This makes it easy to seal the deal. I also ALWAYS include a SSAE with every contract. If the client has to look for a stamp .... they have time to change their mind too ...... Hmmmm?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online