SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#181683 - 06/15/02 06:11 PM Technics to Ketron and am I pleased
JohnRomero Offline

Loc: England
Hi to all that know me,

I have been loyal to Technics since my SX700 and have all the flagships since. I have now jumped ship (should have done it before). Its been fun trying to get my head around the way things are done on the SD1 but now seem to have it sorted with just a couple of exceptions.
1)Does anyone know how to get the right hand to patch change during a midi file?
2)Any idea's on an instant start for the same midi files i.e. I want to play the intro without the file running and then at key start for the file to come straight in without the usual clicks.
3)Is it possible to insert your own instruments into a given style setting bank?
4)Is there any way to view on one screen a list of registrations?
Answers would be appreciated so that I can spend more time playing rater than learning.
All the best,

John Romero.

P.S. The web site has had some changes if anyone would care to visit. www.carillonstudios.co.uk

#181684 - 06/15/02 10:13 PM Re: Technics to Ketron and am I pleased
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Wow, John, I am so glad you found our little community! It is REALLY hard to believe you have switched from Technics. I have just about decided to go back to a Ketron also. I want to see what the new models that are just being released offer, but will probably get an SD1.
I had an X1 for a few months, but found the layout to be a little awkward.
For those of us who don't know about John,
believe me he can be a super-valuable contributor to our group. He was also very helpful to me in years past.
Be sure to check out his website.
Welcome aboard John!
DonM

#181685 - 06/15/02 11:16 PM Re: Technics to Ketron and am I pleased
Mike H Offline

Loc: Homer AK
John - to try and help with your questions..

Are you trying to change the Right section of the midi file/song or change the live Right section you play while the midi file is playing? - If you are trying to change the midi file - you must bring up the file in the sequencer and change it there - if you don't need to change the midi file you should just press another button in the voice presets.

2nd question is one I am asking for help on with the factory - currently there is no seamless way to cue in a midi file in song play - you can do it if the tune is loaded in the sequencer - but it is not particularly functional - I believe another OS change for Ketron could accomplish a phenomenal step forward - that being the ability to access midi files stored as sequences in song play or Demo and Hit - seamlessly - that way you could pre-record many different sections for a tune and trigger them when you felt like it - giving you tremendous freedom to extend or shorten tunes in various places. You could go back and redo little parts of a song when you felt they were a bit jaded without undoing the entire song by tweaking the pattern or rerecording the whole midi file.

Question 3 - not quite sure if I got you there - but are you talking about the style setting function button? If so - I can't find a way to change those presets but I believe the manual says you can -

As to viewing registrations - you should be able to get the list in block registration directory functions

good luck
Mike

#181686 - 06/16/02 03:33 PM Re: Technics to Ketron and am I pleased
JohnRomero Offline

Hi DonM

I had been looking for a new instrument for ages. I got a KN6000 and hated it. Then a PSR9000 and decided that wasn't for me either. A couple of weeks ago a friend demoed the SD1 for me and I fell in love with the drums. As we are a dealer in the UK for BCK products I ordered an SD1 for myself.
Now Dave Medcalf has just started writing styles for Carillon Studio's(inc. Ketron Roland and Yamaha) he gigs with a Ketron and has given some help with the depths of the machine. In the past week two friends and a customer have been in the studio and all three have bought SD1's from us (at a special price of course). It is my intention to gig with the SD1 tomorrow for the first time, fingers crossed. Consequently I am a happy bunny at the moment.

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply.
1)I am trying to change the live right hand (not the midi file). This is due to the fact I play an accordion with midi to the SD1 and cannot always get my hands to the keyboard and back again to continue playing in time. Thus the need to bury the patch change.
2)At the moment I have put all command changes into a 1 beat bar and speed the clock to maximum but its still not quite an instant start.
3)I am talking about the style setting and can change the bank however I want to change just one or two sounds in a given bank.
4)I'll try it.

Thanks,

John Romero.

#181687 - 06/17/02 12:42 AM Re: Technics to Ketron and am I pleased
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
point 2)

Is this a problem in eliminating the setup bar?

The 1 bar "setup" is a feature of standard midi files. I use Cakewalk to edit sequences and it insists on inserting such a bar (if it doesnt exist) when it finds a "GM on" or "XG On" sysex at the start of the song file. If such a sysex string isn't there, Cakewalk allows you to remove this bar. So would this work on the SD1 if you remove the "GM On" sysex (or equivalent) at the start of the midi file?

[This message has been edited by MacAllcock (edited 06-17-2002).]

#181688 - 06/17/02 01:08 PM Re: Technics to Ketron and am I pleased
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
All the setup info and program changes are sent in that first bar - the sequence may not have time to set up all the proper sounds without it.

#181689 - 06/17/02 03:32 PM Re: Technics to Ketron and am I pleased
JohnRomero Offline

Hi Uncle Dave,

Your dead right, you need a space up front to put these patch and command changes into a midi file otherwise sounds, effects, etc don't come in. When using my KN5000 if you set your sequence in Technics mode you can do away with the first bar and panel set all the tracks sounds etc. Thus an instant start. I've done a couple of Sequences on the SD1 now and the one beat bar at a clock rate of 250 for that bar seems to do the trick the delay before starting is very small (not quite instant though).

John Romero.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online