SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#455066 - 07/21/18 08:22 AM Russ & Nigel - where did I go wrong
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
smile smile My youngest grandson is in band camp (he just started on guitar about 3 months ago). The kids are about 9-12 and the young adults you see in the video are camp counselors. He's the second from the left (blue guitar). Of course they sound terrible but they have a ton of fun (he actually has a 'solo' at @ 2:06). What's neat is that they get to play at a local restaurant (pre-concert rehearsal) the night before their concert so they get the experience of playing a 'gig' in front of a live audience (mostly parents and whoever the parents could coerce into coming smile ).

Needless to say, all these kids come from very well-to-do households and I wish these kinds of opportunities and experiences were available to less fortunate kids. I've approached the owner of the camp about 'scholarships' or at least sponsorships for kids that would not otherwise be able to afford it, but of course it's too late for this year's camp. One problem is that it's in a very upscale area and so not very convenient for kids (parents) outside the area. Anyhoo, I know Russ has a history of supporting this kind of thing in underserved schools and neighborhoods so I thought he'd find it interesting.

At the moment, I'm waiting for my grandson to come to his senses and discover jazz smile smile smile.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOv...0hsV0RmaGZ4OXZB

Forgot to mention, this was shot with a phone but if you click on the image, it will go to full screen.

chas

Edited by cgiles (07/21/18 08:39 AM)

#455098 - 07/21/18 11:53 PM Re: Russ & Nigel - where did I go wrong [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Chas, you didn't do anything wrong, it is perfect. I loved that. What a great performance. I think your grandson will just be fine. And AC/DC are from my hometown Melbourne Australia. We even have a lane named after them ACDC Lane.

Was that your grandson playing the solo?

#455099 - 07/22/18 01:02 AM Re: Russ & Nigel - where did I go wrong [Re: cgiles]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Be proud of the young ones, they're doing just fine. As Nigel say, it's a great performance.

Thinking about it, in my early teens, lots of youngsters would like to play like Stones, Beatles, Animals and so on.
Our grandparents and 'older' people was not too happy with our long hair and what they did call 'noisy and far too loud' music.
But we grew up, and many of that generation play jazz ... wink
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#455100 - 07/22/18 04:08 AM Re: Russ & Nigel - where did I go wrong [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Yeah Nigel, that's him (@ 2:06) with the skinny legs and big feet smile. His dad (my son) just took him on his first trip to Guitar Center (probably the first of many smile ) where he conned his dad out of a nice mixer for his 'studio' (formerly his bedroom smile ). His comment while leaving the store, "I love this place". Yikes!

Actually, I was just kidding about the 'jazz' thing; I'm just happy that he has an interest in ANY type music. At the moment it's all ROCK, primarily METAL. Oh well smile.

chas

#455147 - 07/23/18 09:17 AM Re: Russ & Nigel - where did I go wrong [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My friend, this level of absolute support (You're not fooling ANYONE, proud grandpa), is not surprising, but really life affirming.

Believe me, with support like yours, the material and the performances will get better.

My activity involves kids in dire economic shape, and kids with mental or psychological challenges. Music, or at least exposure to it is a bright spot in a pretty miserable life. My connection is the family and friends of my dear old music associate, George.

Anything involving kids and music is positive.

Of course you could adopt me. I'm "Little Russ Lay...only 73 1/2 years old..."

Thinking a lot about you guys these days.

Russ

#455157 - 07/23/18 01:30 PM Re: Russ & Nigel - where did I go wrong [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Yeah, I HOPE the performances get better smile smile , but then he's only been playing the guitar for a few months. The band camp is divided up into 5 groups (bands) with a few of the kids playing in more than one group. Will (my grandson) plays trumpet in one of the other groups. He's been playing trumpet for about 2-3 years now. I won't clutter up the airways with vids of those performances as they're equally bad smile , but hey, they're having the time of their lives.

I'm grateful that my son has the wherewithal to indulge all their fantasies but sometimes worry that it all comes too easy for them. Remember the old days when we had to earn our own money if we wanted something? Oh well, times change. All we can do is hope they emerge from this period with some sense of independence and empathy for those less fortunate.

chas

#455184 - 07/24/18 10:09 AM Re: Russ & Nigel - where did I go wrong [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Chas, you are right on when you are concerned about giving kids too much. When my dear father-in-law, a nationally known psychiatrist and educator, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I found him crying uncontrollably. He asked e to take care of his business affairs, because he said he messed up. He said his kids (including my Annie) were so spoiled they couldn't even support or otherwise take care of themselves,never mind meet his needs.

He was right.

I have many friends who are from "well heeled" backgrounds, blew it all and now are bitter at how unfair life is.

One played Drums with Cosy Cole Trio; returned home and proceeded to go thru several fortunes with restaurant operations...one of the fastest ways I know of going thru lots of cash in a hurry.

Best you can do is take your best shot and cross your fingers.

From what I see, you certainly don't have anything to worry about.

That's why I'm trying to get you to adopt me.

Russ (your needy son)Lay

#455296 - 07/28/18 01:30 AM Re: Russ & Nigel - where did I go wrong [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

AC/DC is blues derivative rock that has made them and The Rolling Stones billions of $ and is great music. You can't beat that. Tell him you know me someone who is in his mid 60s who still plays AC/DC and even comes from their hometown Melbourne Australia. I grew up with them. Angus Young the leader is pretty close to my age. I think he is doing great playing so well in only 3 months. My song "Last Call" was written to sound like AC/DC to fit in with our last bar set. And I play the lead guitar so I have no criticism of anyone playing in that style ... only admiration and you can tell him that from me. It is music you play from the gut. I have a feeling he will have no limits and will end up playing music in all sorts of styles.

#455299 - 07/28/18 04:40 AM Re: Russ & Nigel - where did I go wrong [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

smile smile Love it. We just got the 'official' videos from the band camp folks which are much better than the 'Iphone' ones. My grandson isn't in this one (a slightly older group) but this one's for you, Nigel smile smile.

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/2UvXVQ...own%20Under.mp4

chas

#455345 - 07/29/18 01:08 AM Re: Russ & Nigel - where did I go wrong [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

So much fun.. I like it is staying in an Australian theme going from AC/DC to Men At Work.

Back in the mid 80s Colin Haye from Men At Work recorded vocals on an album track I played on. It was a post humous album for an EMI artist who had died. We were missing a recording of him singing the opening verse. We were walking up the hallway at EMI studios in Sydney Australia and ran into Colin who has just returned from the USA after Downunder had just rocketed up the charts. After talking to him we mentioned our dilemna. He simply walked into our studio and sang the opening verse as well as chorus harmonies. Great guy. You may recognize the sound of his vocal style in the first verse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online