SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#356093 - 12/08/12 09:35 AM Did You Know Any Of These Guys?
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I heard of Maceo Parker, but to be honest, did not pay attention... until now! smile Wow... I was missing out!

How about the other guys jammin' along?
I have a feeling Russ has some kind of connection with at least one of them

They are an amazing combo, and then the bass player tops it all off, he jumps in and blows it out of the water (7:00)...bass players are not suppose to act like this smile

About what year would this be?

Love This Stuff

Note: Around the 3:00 mark...the trombone player gives a "Oh... ya wanna play that game" look.
Priceless. smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#356097 - 12/08/12 10:11 AM Re: Did You Know Any Of These Guys? [Re: lahawk]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... MAN, that is a groove ... thnx for posting Larry ... some e-girls fans DO have good taste ... rotfl

... I did some searching and found that the tune - don't know if it's the exact recording, but I would think so - is on a multi - starred "A Jazz Tribute to Marvin Gaye" album released in 1999 ...

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1427158/a/Jazz+Tribute+To+Marvin+Gaye.htm

#356110 - 12/08/12 01:57 PM Re: Did You Know Any Of These Guys? [Re: lahawk]
lahawk Offline

Thanks T

According to the album, it looks like the tribute to the Marvin Gaye album was released in the late 90's and the video above appears to be from that time frame.

In this video...we get their names...and another great performance:

Russ...you must know at least one of these guys. smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#356133 - 12/08/12 07:25 PM Re: Did You Know Any Of These Guys? [Re: lahawk]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Larry ... the players names 'scroll' at the end of the "Let's Get It On" video as well ...

#356302 - 12/10/12 11:05 AM Re: Did You Know Any Of These Guys? [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I LOVE to play this stuff. While I think I've heard a little about Jerry the bass player being sort of a "Stanley Clarke type of player, I haven't heard or met ANY of these guys.But, my major jazz/funk contacts (like this) are about 10 years older than these guys, I think. Sadly, when these guys were coming along, I had probably already sold out and was playing 2nd fiddle to a ham sandwich in a restaurant, or sound scores for car manufacturers and glasses makers.

But that's not surprising. They're probably better than 95% of the performing musicians in the country. There's a group here in Lexington like this. I work with them once a month or so, for $75.00 and we're all happy to get it.

For most music, you have to be adequate. For jazz and this kind of jazz/funk, you've got to be at the top of the field just to get to work occasionally.

I'll bet that these guys don't make a lot...some may even have day gigs.

The guitar player played an L-5 on the second tune...my all-time favorite guitar.

Lots of respect to them for helping keep an art form alive and having a great time doing it.

Really enjoyed it....

Russ
PS: "Let's get it on" is on my program every night.

Edited by captain Russ (12/10/12 11:22 AM)

#356314 - 12/10/12 01:01 PM Re: Did You Know Any Of These Guys? [Re: lahawk]
lahawk Offline

Good observation Russ, The L-5 is a great jazz guitar, not that I would know, they start around $5,000.

I too could listen to this stuff all day. Maceo Parker seems to be doing OK with his Tour dates including one in Tokyo, and on Dec. 14 in Miami...about the closet we can get for Chas, unless he wants to travel to NYC in April. smile However, I'm not sure if Maceo is still with the same band in the above videos.

Maceo Parker Web Page

c ya

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#356319 - 12/10/12 01:37 PM Re: Did You Know Any Of These Guys? [Re: lahawk]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Larry, I'm either proud or ashamed (not sure witch) to say that I have 23 L-5's in my collection. 17 have never been played.

I'm so old that I bought several new for around $1300.00. That was 40% off and many years ago.

Believe it or not; the builder can make a major difference in value. Two identical instruments made in the same year by two different Gibson craftsmen can vary in value by up to 40%.

Love my L-5's.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (12/10/12 01:38 PM)

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online